Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you alreday know I had problem with rust on my Milltek exhaust. Contact Milltek and they replace it with new one without any problems.

Here are some pics with old one:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=60102&postcount=2

Yesterday I decide to replace exhaust which Milltek send me Few months ago, but I have one question. Is that normal that in 100km starting to change colour?

Do you see brown/yellow part on the end of exhaust. Exhaust in only one day on the car.

I really don't know what to do, or what am I doing wrong, because it looks like if I want to get it clean I have to clean it every day. :(

I didn't use anything for cleaning it yet. What do you recomend me for cleaning and protecting?

For me it looks like that it is changing colour because of heating? What do you think guys?

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd be interested to know what people use to clean there exhaust tips.

I still have stock exhaust, but its definatley due a clean.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Grade 0 wire wool and WD40 were recommended to me by the guy who details my car.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That is due to heat which is normal.
For a while I had the Milltek/Special tips and I experienced the same discolouration when the system had heated up. However, after a few weeks of a cleaning regime that consisted of nothing more than Brasso metal polish and a cleaning cloth, the phenomenon ceased and the pipes maintained their polished silver appearance.

So, get rubbing and it will soon be behind you.......:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
As has already been mentioned, that brownish discoloration is characteristic of stainless steel when it heats up. So, it's not a problem per se with your Milltek tips. However, exhaust tips that are double-walled stainless (like my B&B) won't be as susceptible to having this discoloration problem on the outside of the tips since they don't get that hot. I've been quite surprised at how cool to the touch mine are after having been driving around for a while. I do find where the insides start to discolor slightly, though. But, at each wash, I just polish them out and all is just like new again.

Like Ess mentioned, you need to polish the tips regularly to maintain their new look. I use a metal polish made by Mothers and a microfiber cloth to polish the outside and inside (visible area) of my tips . If you neglect polishing yours, they could eventually get to the point of no return and you won't get back that good-as-new look (leaving you with that brownish tint permanently). Yours look like they could still be polished out, though.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I gave mine a clean today and have got before and after shots which I will get ready and up tomorrow. These are 8 months or so after fitting.

i do recall the discolouring when they were relatively new but it went away. I just have a little rust around the edges and a few places although the rubbing away with metal polish today got rid of a lot of it. Its mainly the rim where its still left.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
For a while I had the Milltek/Special tips and I experienced the same discolouration when the system had heated up. However, after a few weeks of a cleaning regime that consisted of nothing more than Brasso metal polish and a cleaning cloth, the phenomenon ceased and the pipes maintained their polished silver appearance.

So, get rubbing and it will soon be behind you.......:thumbsup:
...Likewise.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Here is mine after about 9 months and one from July last year. You can see some discolouration on the July one. You can see that has gone on the latest one only to be replaced with rust.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts