Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, actually it's the transformation of a resonated system to non-res through the substitution of a pair of straight through centres. Blame the guy in the RS4 who had his non-res Milltek fitted whilst I was last at APS. Heard it and that was it. 'Right, where's my wallet....?'

True to form, Ed @ APS has made the switch as fiscally negligible as suits us both, so if it really is a decibel too far, it'll be the work of a few minutes and the price of experience to revert back. Looking forward to seeing the culmination of my custom back-box saga as well.......:eek:

Ian (HP1) is joining me down there and we'll be sure to get some good before/after footage and sound files which hopefully I'll be able to edit and post tomorrow eve.

Oh, and APS are replacing my rear KWs as well, for good measure (one of them having given up the ghost on me).

Updates to follow!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I went from resonated to non-resonated and the difference is quite noticeable at speed. I think you will enjoy it..

I thought you were dumping the Milltek for B&B?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Keep us informed of the difference. I need to drive to APS again to get my coilovers replaced and it seems such a shame to drive that far without coming away with something new ;)

Give me an excuse please.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Sizzle, so that's 'enjoy' as opposed to 'regret every d*mn minute of it'? That's a relief.

The whole exhaust situation is a bit of a saga as related at length in my hijacking of SupraB's thread. Suffice to say, I was looking (closely, it has to be said) at the BB system when I suspected that the 'custom' job I was having done on the Milltek back boxes simply wasn't going to work out - after all, it kicked off in August and when you see the pics, you may yet wonder what all the fuss was about.

But I'm an optimist and if the look is as I want it tomorrow and, as you suggest, I've gained that extra noise that I feel I'm lacking, then BB is moved to the back burner. If, however, it doesn't look/feel right, then Mark will have an email within the week......

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keep us informed of the difference. I need to drive to APS again to get my coilovers replaced and it seems such a shame to drive that far without coming away with something new ;)

Give me an excuse please.
LOL DD - all I will do is post video, audio and written evidence/testimonies. The rest is up to you......;)

Ah, missed the bit about coilovers - so I guess you followed up my post on the topic by contacting Ed and he's sorted replacements? Cool. Well, not exactly but you know what I mean. Aren't forums great?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yeah, I meant to ask you what tips you have. Looks like they are 3.5" and double walled??

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They're only 78mm Sizzle, just over 3" I think, and yes, double walled. Nothing special and TBH, steel quality doesn't seem to be as good as advertised - they discoloured and began pitting on the inside fairly soon.

Part of me's praying that tomorrow, I reach the end of the road. The other party of me is praying I don't like any of it, junk it and get the BB.

Maybe I'm a girl?

Edit: the use of the phrase 'maybe I'm a girl'? should in no way be construed as intentionally condescending, insulting or defamatory towards girls, women or other of the female species. May contain nuts.

·
Registered
267 Posts
looking forward to seeing the videos for this.

Im actually going for a B&B end of this month. Im not sure if anyone in UK has these yet. I have spoken with Mark, and am due to order in a couple of weeks. It will be my first mod :)

I've not yet spoken to APS about the B&B yet, as i would like them to install it. While you are there tomorrow can you ask ED on his take on the B&B and how much he would charge to fit it?

Thnx

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Yeah, I meant to ask you what tips you have.
Speaking of tips, whatever happened to those measurements you were supposed to take of your Milltek tips? Hmmm HMMM? Still waiting... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
LOL DD - all I will do is post video, audio and written evidence/testimonies. The rest is up to you......
I couldnt ask for more.

Ah, missed the bit about coilovers - so I guess you followed up my post on the topic by contacting Ed and he's sorted replacements? Cool. Well, not exactly but you know what I mean. Aren't forums great?
I'm already in contact with Ed and he is ordering replacement rear dampers. I am so pleased you posted about the knocking as it was getting on my nerves.

They're only 78mm Sizzle, just over 3" I think, and yes, double walled. Nothing special and TBH, steel quality doesn't seem to be as good as advertised - they discoloured and began pitting on the inside fairly soon.
Yes. Same here.

Part of me's praying that tomorrow, I reach the end of the road. The other party of me is praying I don't like any of it, junk it and get the BB.
Oh god. I hope it does the job.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Speaking of tips, whatever happened to those measurements you were supposed to take of your Milltek tips? Hmmm HMMM? Still waiting... :rolleyes:
I honestly don't recall what you're referring to. Help me out here......:confused:

EDIT: I remember now.

Like I stated, the tips stick out much further than the Milltek. The Milltek measures a bit more than 3/4" out using the exact same angle you used. In fact the right tip is less than an inch out directly from the middle which is even more dramatic. I took a profile shot as well that shows the tips INSIDE of the silver diffuser lip. I took 3 pictures but I can't post them from where i'm at.

If you shoot me your email, I can send them to you, and you can add them to my post so you can see.

Having said that, the double walled B&B is gorgeous from the rear. If they sat like the Milltek they would be perfect. If I can be assured that I can get them to fit the same; I will be all over the B&B....

And what's up with the ....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I honestly don't recall what you're referring to. Help me out here......:confused:
I'm referring to your post (see below) from another thread where you were wondering about the differences in tip length between Milltek and B&B.

I will measure later, but the Milltek is tucked in really tight against the rear valance which is the look I prefer.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Non-res all the way!!!

TX, Sizzle, sorry to butt-in!

Exhaust is fitted - and I'm delighted. Nowehere near as raucous as I'd feared and nothing to be afraid of. May be due to the fact that I've new centre-pipes and back boxes (which I think look great!), so it will need to carbon-up a bit before it gives its best.

Inside the car, perhaps 10-15% louder but entirely the right kind of 'louder', and only really makes itself heard under hard acceleration, on the over-run or low-speed/high throttle manoueuvring. The 50 mile journey back was all A-road or motorway and absolutely no drone or resonance when cruising. But floor it and it growls - big grin!

Think I frightened the smokers as I pulled into the office car park - it was emitting some nice pops and bangs as I cruised around looking for a space (for about an hour - LOL).

I've pics of the installation and some comparative video files which I'll load up later. Be warned, the comparison isn't that marked, in fact, I was a little surprised when it was first fired-up as it didn't assault the senses as I'd imagined. That said, the sound has already improved after a mere 50 miles or so, so I'm putting it down to the newness of the system.

But my advice to anyone with a resonated Milltek system would be - change it! And if you're considering a M/T fitment, it's non-res all the way!

(Footnote: unfortunately, KW had sent the wrong replacement coilovers (and seemed remarkably disinterested in sending out the correct parts immediately) so the original coilovers went back on. I've also taken some pics illustrating the location of the problem, in case anyone else is concerned they may have a similar issue and wants to check - I'll post these this eve also).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
That's outstanding!

I figured you would like the sound without the resonators. You might as well get the downpipes and complete the transformation....:D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Believe me Sizzle, Ian and I discussed it this morning! I'll see how it is after a few miles but I think I may have found the sweet spot. I could listen to that AWE vid all day, but not sure I could live with it as my daily drive.

Time will tell.........

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Believe me Sizzle, Ian and I discussed it this morning! I'll see how it is after a few miles but I think I may have found the sweet spot. I could listen to that AWE vid all day, but not sure I could live with it as my daily drive.

Time will tell.........
Daily commuting is fine. I get some drone on the highway above 3k rpm, which puts me at around 80 mph. I have no business driving that fast, so under "normal" driving you will see very little drone out of the system.

Come on man, live a little!!!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.