1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just saw these on-line and was wondering what you guys think about it:

http://www.calipercovers.com/

My planned brake-mods for my car are modest, stainless brake lines and red-painted calipers, since I do not plan to track my car and I happened to seen this site and thought it would be a nice alternative to painting the calipers. I called the company and suggested to them to make one for the A5/S5 and they said that they have plans for it. I just thought that it would be cool to have one made with the Audi "rings" engraved on it. Maybe if there are others interested, I can see if I can negotiate a group buy with them with a discount. What do you guys think?

Best Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know if you're kidding or not?
Actually, I was serious. Like I said earlier, I have no plans for a big-brake kit upgrade (mechanically, I only plan to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines), although I like the look of red painted calipers. I just saw this item as an alternative. Plus, since it is slightly longer than the actual calipers, it could reduce brake dust accumulation on the wheels (which they claim). Anyway, to each his own.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just paint the calipers. These things might look alright on a Kia but they just don't work on a German car...

I painted mine red using the G2 caliper paint kit from www.tirerack.com. Added Sline caliper decals purchased off Ebay. Look fantastic. Definitely the way to go if you don't want to shell out for a BBK. Total cost ~$70 CAD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just paint the calipers. These things might look alright on a Kia but they just don't work on a German car...

I painted mine red using the G2 caliper paint kit from www.tirerack.com. Added Sline caliper decals purchased off Ebay. Look fantastic. Definitely the way to go if you don't want to shell out for a BBK. Total cost ~$70 CAD.

Any Pictures of this? I am on my way to do this same mod, Red with the aluminum s_line badges that are on the fenders.
What did you use to keep the s-Line badges from falling off, or are they really decals? I'd worry about the heat....

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Any Pictures of this? I am on my way to do this same mod, Red with the aluminum s_line badges that are on the fenders.
What did you use to keep the s-Line badges from falling off, or are they really decals? I'd worry about the heat....

Thanks!
They're caliper decals. Made to withstand the heat from the calipers. Very easy stick on application.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Audi-S-Line-brake-caliper-decal-Sticker-x5-/190415759100?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c55a9e6fc

Here are a couple pics:

I put them on and covered with a light coat of clear coat from my touch up pen. I've had them on now for >3 months and no sign of wear.

Sorry for the bad photos. The lighting was poor that day, dull drab spring day.

These were also taken prior to my spacers. I don't have any updated photos with the spacers but I think they look even better now as you get that more open deeper look to the wheel.

·
Premium Member
970 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
They're caliper decals. Made to withstand the heat from the calipers. Very easy stick on application.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Audi-S-Line-brake-caliper-decal-Sticker-x5-/190415759100?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c55a9e6fc

Here are a couple pics:

I put them on and covered with a light coat of clear coat from my touch up pen. I've had them on now for >3 months and no sign of wear.

Sorry for the bad photos. The lighting was poor that day, dull drab spring day.

These were also taken prior to my spacers. I don't have any updated photos with the spacers but I think they look even better now as you get that more open deeper look to the wheel.

I like the looks of it a lot. Kind of a poor mans Red Brembo. Thanks for the link to the decals as well.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Painted Calipers

Hi All

I did a similar treatment to my Sportback's brake calipers.

1. Clean all dirt and dust off with STP brake cleaner
  2. Gloss black brake caliper paint - 3 coats
  3. Apply caliper decals - Ebay
  4. Apply 3 coats of high temp clear laquer
  5. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts

Some people like them, some don't.

It is a common misconception that these were designed to imitate a BBK. Though there are customers that purchase caliper covers with this in mind, this was never the intent of our product line.

This is an option to caliper paint, with different benefits. Caliper paint doesn't help control brake dust, and the colors are limited. With the caliper covers, you can color match, order custom engraving, and bolt right on. There aren't many products out there you can purchase for your car that has this type of personalization.

We have started on the Audi's because they have been requested by customers on a regular basis.

I'd be more than happy to answer any technical questions, or inquiries about the quality of the materials used.

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I actually like the idea of covers, to save me painting mine and getting a poor finish. However the pictures on their website look like cheap plastic with hex bolts painted on, so look very fake! So afraid paint or powder coat is the best option for me too

·
Registered
3 Posts
I admit the photography on the website needs work! :wall:

I can assure you the quality of the parts are top notch. T-6061 aluminum, TIG welds, and powder coated.

·
Banned
7 Posts
I don't doubt the quality of the materials Ben but aesthetically, for me, they're just not doing it. As RS says, they just don't look 'technical' enough. They may not be trying to emulate the BBK look but maybe they should?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't doubt the quality of the materials Ben but aesthetically, for me, they're just not doing it. As RS says, they just don't look 'technical' enough. They may not be trying to emulate the BBK look but maybe they should?
No worries! I just wanted to make sure the info about our parts were accurate for those who have shown interest.

We could make them look like BBK's, but that is just not what we are trying to do. We have actually have had lots of requests from Audi owners, and will be conducting R&D on several in the next few months.

I appreciate the input though. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts