Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm soo close to getting the car I want and now it's down to the color. They have the car in meteor gray and I'm contemplating whether to go for it. I haven't seen the meteor gray in person. I originally wanted black, but wouldn't mind a dark grey.

Does anyone know if the meteor grey is like more like graphite or is it more on the green side? The pictures on the Audi USA website makes the meteor grey look greenish and I'm afraid of that. Pictures would help too!

·
Registered
415 Posts
It's not really greenish at all. It is a pearlescent paint, so it can take on slightly different shades depending on the ambient light. But these differences are subtle, and no one's going to accuse your meteor gray car of being any color but gray.

If anything, I find that the color tends to take on a tint just on the bluish side of neutral. In general, it's a great color and I don't regret gtting it for a second. I debated on the color for a while, but many people have told me I couldn't have made a better choice. In my opinion, it's the A5's signature color.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I personally really like dark gray and this one looks great on the S5. I know exactly what u mean based on how the car looks green on the website, I have no idea how they came to use that shade to represent Meteor Gray. But at any rate, I think you won't be disappointed with this color.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my Meteor Gray. Black takes a lot more upkeep and this seems to wear well on the highway. Looks great and I agree with the previous posts as to the shades and a signiture color.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm gonna take the meteor gray! Just called the dealer and she's getting back to me tomorrow on the availability. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Your going through exactly the same question I asked before ordering. Meteor Grey -vs- Phantom Black? Concur meteor is a good colour that takes on many shades in different light from what I've seen. Only seen one on the road (others in show rooms) and it looked good......as all A5's do:D

Sometimes personally I think it can look a bit flat / dull which is why (again my personal choice / preference) I went for the black.......but keep it clean and it will look the biz. Will definately be easier to keep clean than Phatom Black I've ordered.

Enjoy the decision making process.......some pics are attached which may help.:confused:

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have no complaints!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Alloy wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Luxury vehicle Land vehicle Vehicle Car Audi Audi a5

You guys see my dealer free-be in the back window...;) :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Meteor Grey was on my short list when I almost ordered an A4 B8 earlier this year, before setting my sights on the A5 and deciding to postpone things a little.

However, I did drop Meteor Grey from my short list after I had read more about the colour and also saw it in person finally. It is a fine colour with many interesting shades (for those of you who think black is too boring or something), but for me the deal killer was the lack of metal sparklies in the mix.

It almost looks like a regular, non-metallic paint (well, it is pearlescent, not a metal colour but many pearlescents have metal sparklies too like Lava Grey which is great in my opinion). This means it will not shine in a dull weather or when dirty. Metallic paints with lots of metallic "sparklies" in the mix tend to look good even when the car starts to age (when regular paint often looses its sparkle) or is dirty or the weather is bad, because the metallic bits in the paint bring their own sparkle no matter what. Meteor Grey unfortunately lacks this attribute.

Some Meteor Grey owner likened his S5 to a battle ship when viewed in a dull weather. Of course when sun hits the colour and the car is clean, things look mighty fine. If you keep your car clean and you live in a sunny place maybe you'll rarely see the battle ship... :)

In short: The colour itself is great in my opinion. It comes down to whether or not you think these other attributes of the paint are important to you or not.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Some Meteor Grey owner likened his S5 to a battle ship when viewed in a dull weather. Of course when sun hits the colour and the car is clean, things look mighty fine. If you keep your car clean and you live in a sunny place maybe you'll rarely see the battle ship... :)

:confused:But.... I like battle ships, their cool looking!:p:D I know what you mean, and there has been a lot of response's of the color looking a bit battle ship. But most of the remarks where about the Dolphin Grey on the other models (A4, A6)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

:confused:But.... I like battle ships, their cool looking!:p:D I know what you mean, and there has been a lot of response's of the color looking a bit battle ship. But most of the remarks where about the Dolphin Grey on the other models (A4, A6)
:) You are right, Dolphin Grey is even more "battleship". It looks like one even in sunny weather. Meteor Grey is more variable color since its darker hue and pearlescent nature.

I personally prefer a lot of metal sparklies in my cars paint, but obviously not everyone feels the same. If faced with the choice of Meteor Grey or Dolphin Grey, Meteor would win every time in my opinion. Lava Grey is the best of the bunch though, for me. Not available for A5 in my country though (without exclusive pricing).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I just picked up my A5 yesterday. I had my eye on Quartz Grey for ages, I liked the changes in shade it can have. But I saw Meteor Grey one day and I really liked it. I ordered Meteor Grey and while waiting I kept thinking it was a like a dark olive green colour. You kinda forget the colour when you have seen it once.
Anyway arrived at the showroom yesterday and there was my car sitting Meteor Grey. I thought that looks stunning. I nice sunny day really shows of the car nice.
I dont think you will have any regrets ordering Meteor Grey

·
Registered
292 Posts
There's no doubt that Meteor is a complex colour. I've had mine for 8 months now and I'm still unsure about it. Sometimes it's blingin' and sometimes it's mingin'. What's for sure you've got to keep it clean and hope for lots of sunshine. People see colours differently - my wife sees deep blue undertones with Meteor and I see deep green - my least favourite car colour! Maybe it's just a 'pigment' of my imagination :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yes, definitely a green hue in Meteor Grey. (To comment on some other Audi colors: Quartz Grey has a light blue hue to it - as do the Akoya and Avus Silvers more pronouncedly - and the old Atlas Grey used to be more brown. Lava Grey is dominated by the light sparklies, otherwise it is a quite blackish grey.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer is gonna call me in a few hours to let me know if her meteor grey is still in stock. If it is I'm going to take it... if not I'll probably place an order with her for the black. So... I'll let fate decide! :rolleyes: But really I'm pretty much 50/50 on both colors. Its funny how much discussion we can have about a color!

Can't wait til I actually become an A5 owner!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Meteor Grey is a great colour but you have to keep it clean... you can see every dirty fingerprint, water drop... dust (not a big problem in the west but a huge one in Bucharest :mad: )
I orderd my interior in cinnamon / stone blue and the combination is perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Meteorgrey under bad weather conditions:

and under a blue sky when the sun is shining:

As you can see the color changes a lot depending on the ambient light.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Meteor Grey is a great colour but you have to keep it clean... you can see every dirty fingerprint, water drop... dust (not a big problem in the west but a huge one in Bucharest :mad: )
I orderd my interior in cinnamon / stone blue and the combination is perfect.
Cervantes, I just ordered an A5 in a similar colour combination to yours, Meteor Grey and stone blue/cinnamon interior. Especially this interior combination looks quite unwelcome here and I sometimes have my doubts...

But I have never really seen it in person and would be very glad if you could provide photos of your interior... Just so I can at least say I made the right choice:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another great Grey from Audi is DAYTONA Grey. A friend has it on a S8 and it looks amazing. It was also available on the RS4.

Getting back to Meteor Grey, I parked mine under a tree and incidently there was another A5 on the street parked in plain sun.

I have also attached some pictures of the interior for alexs3d2.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts