Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading that a 2.0 TDI is going to be offered in the 09 VW Passat. I wonder if that sells well enough, the Audi will eventually be offered in diesel form (which I would prefer anyway). As I understand, diesel is only allowed on SUVs and Trucks (I guess bec you can use them off road), which is dumb in my opinion. Diesels have good torque, hp, and awesome gas mileage. Hybrids have better gas mileage, BUT most are around 110hp. Id rather have the best of both worlds. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
As I understand, diesel is only allowed on SUVs and Trucks (I guess bec you can use them off road), which is dumb in my opinion.
Not true. Diesel is, and always has been, found in all types of vehicles here. It's just that historically, the most common place by far to see diesel engines is in trucks and SUVs, because diesel has had a reputation in America as beening dirty and smelly and therefore not suitable for cars. But VW had TDI Golfs, Jettas, and Passats available in the US from the early 90s to the early 00s. The reason they disappeared is because VW went to new engine technology that required low-sulfur diesel before the US was able to switch to the right fuel. Low-sulfur diesel was finally made mandatory in the US last year, and that's what has opened the door for VW and Audi to reintroduce TDI technology. I just wonder why they're not being faster about it...bringing over only the Q7 in diesel the first year is not enough.

A lot of us are eager to see good diesel engines offered in this country. And all signs point to a gradual, but significant, resurgence of diesel as a fuel of choice in America. If the 3.0 TDI A5 were offered in the US from the start, I absolutely would have bought one. But I wasn't given that option. I know a lot of people feel the same way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I guess I've been out of the US for a bit (been in germany 4 yrs now, so I missed a few things). A few ppl told me they still wouldn't get diesel since most of the time its more expensive than reg gas (i know before that wasn't the case).. but I figure that if you fill your gas tank up less, in the long run it would be better.

It is true that most americans remember the old, loud, smelly diesels (older MB cars come to mind).. but europe is full of good diesel cars. I really hope for the audis to have diesels in the states soon. Is it true that the new diesel fuel costs more to make than the old stuff, or regular gas for that matter? On another forum i go to, I think they were saying its one of the reasons why diesel in the states costs more. Don't know if thats true or not.

By the way aerodave, my wife is from the Van Wert are of Ohio. Are you familiar with that neck of the woods? :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Todays european diesels are a far cry from years ago they are so smooth and the torque power in the mid range is some thing petrol engines can only dream about. The 3.0 tdi 50mph to 70mph sprint time is quicker then the S5 V8 Americans uptill now have not thought about the diesel engine because the cost of your petrol as been so low

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think the recent reversal in the relative prices of gasoline and diesel has been because of that lowering of the demand for the fuel. Sure, simple economics dictates that lowered demand will drop the price of a good, but it also might cause the suppliers to reduce the supply in response. In an attempt to keep the price of gasoline from rising too fast, refiners have shifted the balance of produciton heavily in favor of gasoline in recent years, reducing the amount of diesel produced. That's made it more expensive. They've also used the new low-sulfur guidelines as an excuse to pass refining costs on to the pump.

And I'm not familir with the Van Wert area...I'm not a native Ohioan; I've only lived here for about 6 years. I've never even been in that corner of the state.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My two cents worth.

Here in the states we have had a number of failures with diesel engines in cars. Oldsmobile and Mercedes come to mind in their difficulties with winter start-ups. The glow plug didn't sit well with consumers. I, on the other hand, think that diesel would be the next step in the fight to rid ourselves of dependence on foreign oil and pollution. Hydrogen, ethanol, hybrid and electric are still far away from being practical.

I am looking for a diesel touring car with a modicum of space to replace my Cayenne S. Perhaps a Q5 (Q7 is too big) or a Mercedes shooting brake (Station wagon) powered by diesel. Still thinking.

When I read about the A5 with diesel being Europe's highest rated in mileage, I got excited and visited my dealership many times. Of course you know the answer. I even threatened to cancel my order for an A5. So, here I sit with a 3.2 V6. A wonderful car, but wouldn't it be nicer with a diesel?

When are the manufacturers going to wake up?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well aerodave, I have only been to the Van wert area 2 times, and let me tell you, you aren't missing anything LOL its a very flat place full of corn.

Quickag, the Diesel A5s are wonderful to drive. When I rented the 3.0TDI out here for the weekend, it was better than I expected. I am sure the 2.7 TDI prob gets better gas mileage.

The only good hybrid I can think of is the toyota prius. Couple reasons are, its very reliable, and ITS AFFORDABLE! The new tahoe hybrid is in the 50k-53k range, and that is quite expensive. If they just made them with a diesel, it would lower the cost, it would have plenty of power, and I bet a lot cheaper to fix if something goes wrong with the engine.

Its strange that the 09 Passat will have a 2.0TDI, but not the Audi A5? Takes longer for things to change in the states... ppl don't want to try something new, even if its better. If the TDI comes to the states, I would trade an A5 (or S5) to get one, bec I want the good gas mileage :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is it true that I heard Honda stated that theyre 2009 Honda Accords will not be designed with Hybrids option, but with Diesel? If that is the case, then MAYBE Audi will follow as a luxury/performer alternative?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Audi has given us word of the Q7 for 09 and possibly the A6 the year after. This info was given at a dealer event by Audi of North America. The diesel Q7 is boasting 400 ftlbs of torque, will out acclerate the 4.2l gas verison and 30% better fuel economy than the V6.. Now thats awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts