Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was taking the tour of the various car dealers on "car row" near my house on Long Island yesterday in order to find my next 'victim' (as I do about every 18 months when I get the "itch" to get a new vehicle, much to my wife's annoyance). Anyway, I decided to stop by the Audi dealer and check out what's new, who knows, maybe I could catch a glimpse of the "out of my league" R8 in the showroom just for fun.

So, as I'm poking around the floor I see a Demo A5 Automatic in black (2008) sitting on the side of the building, and I was taken back by just how amazing the vehicle looked in person! I had only read much about it and seen photos, but nothing like seeing it in person! I walked back outside and spent about 15 minutes just staring at the car and walking around it in circles, until a sales rep finally came outside to help me. He gives me the standard line about the car being in "huge demand" and they have orders from January that are just coming in now. Anyway, as we are BS'ing (I didn't have interest in the 2008 demo I was staring at because it was an automatic), a colleague of his comes up to him and tells him that the 2009, 6-speed manual, black-on-black A5 with Tech, Premium, Navi, Bang & Olufsen, iPod interface, 19" Y-Design wheels - that just came off the truck - is now available because the guy it was ordered for earlier this year just "gave up" and bought a different vehicle! To quote my 6-year-old son...I almost "pooped myself" right in front of the guy!

Needless to say, 90 minutes later the sales rep had my $ 1,000 deposit and a signed contract...!! I paid "sticker" for the vehicle (as I would expect at this point in its life), but not a penny more. The only thing left to do is get a final # on my trade-in tomorrow (Monday when the user car manager comes in), and I'll have the vehicle in my hands later this week! I have read a few stories on this Board over the last few months about a small handful of people who has similar "finds" like mine - but never thought I would actually need to register for the Board and tell my own story!!

Can't wait to get her in my driveway, spruce her up - and get her out on the open road!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Wow, what great luck you had on that! Congrats on becoming an A5 owner. You will love this car! Welcome to the forum.

And yeah, you should definitely try your luck with the lottery. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wow, what great luck you had on that! Congrats on becoming an A5 owner. You will love this car! Welcome to the forum.

And yeah, you should definitely try your luck with the lottery. :)
Thanks! I'll be back to read all the previous posts and get some good advice from the Membership on tweaks, enhancements and taking good care of my new baby!

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's an amazing find man, so congrats on your purchase! Not only am I surprised that you were able to find any new, available and in-stock 09 A5, but it seems like you found one that is the perfect color combo, has all the cool options and is a stick (it seems that the vast majority of A5s are autos, probably because most people who drive stick would prefer an S5, or something like a BMW 335 if they can't afford an S5... in fact I have seen around 10 A5s while visiting my dealer a few times, and not one was stick)! Just be careful of this forum, cuz if you stay too long you are gonna end up emptying your wallet for car mods, lol.

BTW, the dealer wasn't kidding when he said that bit about people who ordered their A5/S5 in January are just getting them now, especially in the tri-state region, Florida and California. I ordered my S5 on Jan 10th from, what apparently is the largest Audi dealer in the world (so they get a huge allocation compared to other dealers), and it still hasn't come it, although the official Audi arrival/pick up ETA is 9/29/08, so not too much longer if everything goes as planned. My dad has had an order/deposit for the R8 since Oct/Nov 2008, and he isn't even in the factory order bank yet, nor do they know when he will be, and even when he finally does, it may take up to a year for his order to be released to the manufacturer (Audi) and then another 3-6 months to build, test, ship, prep and deliver it, lol. These Audis are in such high demand, which goes to show how great of a car they are.

Oh, and...

:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jimmyz.....I will absolutely get photos up on the Forum once she gets delivered. And oh yea, I'm sure Mods for the A5 can kill the piggy bank...! I'll have to keep those away from my wife's prying eyes for sure.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Shouldnt the dealer contact those on the waiting list to see if they would take the A5 that just became available instead of selling it to a new guy? This color/options combo would seem very popular and would be picked up by someone on the list I'm sure. No offense Adamzeit I'm very happy for you, it's just strange that this happens very often (yours is about the 3rd I've heard in the past month I believe).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Shouldnt the dealer contact those on the waiting list to see if they would take the A5 that just became available instead of selling it to a new guy? This color/options combo would seem very popular and would be picked up by someone on the list I'm sure. No offense Adamzeit I'm very happy for you, it's just strange that this happens very often (yours is about the 3rd I've heard in the past month I believe).
Now that you put it that way, I do agree. I think the reason why the dealer did it, is because he had a willing buyer at MSRP right in his hands, and because the dealer may have given a few people on the list a bit off MSRP to remain competitive, he didn't want to offer it to them because he could make more with the guy who is willing to pay full MSRP. I remember, over the last 8 months I have been on the list for the S5, I only got one call from my dealer saying a guy backed out and asking if I was interested in it, which I wasn't because I didn't like meteor grey (although I did pass the info along to Greeny on this forum, who ended up buying the car from my dealer), but I am sure there was more than one S5 that was available after someone backed out.

Now, all I am saying is that I understand, and not that I agree with his actions. In fact, I feel very strongly about being loyal and honest to your customers, even if they will never notice that you did something dishonest, like what this dealer did (because the people before this guy on the list don't know that it was available). It also reminds me of this watch place I buy a bunch of watches from... this one customer had been waiting for this one watch, which the dealer agreed to give it to him at MSRP, for over a year. The MSRP was around 47 grand USD, but the company that made them didn't make a lot, so they are hot items, so this guy from Spain who isn't a previous customer, calls him and says he will wire him 85k in the next few hours if he can buy the watch, and the dealer said no can do because he promised it to a customer, and it was the only one of that watch he was getting. Now that is honesty!

Sorry for the partial hijack... I am just passing time until you post pics of the car, lol. Does it have wood or aluminum inside?

·
Registered
483 Posts
They should; but many certainly don't. I know of two instances of where my dealer just sold the spot to someone else instead of moving people in the queue up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very nice

That is cool that you lucked into that. Sound like a great color combo. Enjoy1

I have been stopping by the dealers here in Phx to compare colors. Went by one today to look at silver and found out it is for sale. Did not pull the trigger since I am looking for an S5, but was surprised that they are now selling versus having demos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry JimmyZ....I don't pick her up until Wednesday the 20th! I'm in Toronto on business the next 4 days and then I pick her up after a few days away with the family on vacation. I will post pictures that very same day - no doubt! It has wood inside...looks sweet!

Yes Par4bmw...I'm really excited about the color combo. I do think it also looks slick in the gray..but black on black is 'stealth' and very "classic". Still trying to warm my wife up to the color...she has had enough of Black...but hey, she has her mini van for her and the kids!!

I hear what you guys are saying about my Dealer....he didn't mention anything about a 'waiting list' on the car...although i am sure he has one. Cant' say I disagree with you guys....he probably should have called the next guy on the list. I guess I'll take his unorganized sales team as a "bit o'luck" for me and I'll drive away happy as can be next week with my A5....!

Posting after Toronto for sure...enjoy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I stumbled on a 2009 S5

So my lease on my G35 coupe will be up in October and I decided to start looking for a new candidate. I really liked the S5 from doing research so I stopped in my local dealer and I was basically laughed out of the place when I asked if they had one (about 1-2 months ago). The other day I was driving by and thought I would check in again to see if there was any new news. Come to find out they have one coming in on allocation that is not spoken for.......I waited 2 days to make sure that this was the car I wanted and I put down the deposit on last Friday morning. The best part is that it is arriving the first week of September and has everything I wanted except the phantom black (it has the brilliant black).......Sweet!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
So my lease on my G35 coupe will be up in October and I decided to start looking for a new candidate. I really liked the S5 from doing research so I stopped in my local dealer and I was basically laughed out of the place when I asked if they had one (about 1-2 months ago). The other day I was driving by and thought I would check in again to see if there was any new news. Come to find out they have one coming in on allocation that is not spoken for.......I waited 2 days to make sure that this was the car I wanted and I put down the deposit on last Friday morning. The best part is that it is arriving the first week of September and has everything I wanted except the phantom black (it has the brilliant black).......Sweet!
Congrats! Just be aware that Brilliant Black is a very high maintenance color (i.e., shows dust, minor scratches, and swirl marks very easily). As long as you're ok with that, then you'll love the color... particularly when it's squeaky clean. However, after owning a Brilliant Black A5 for 6 months, I had to get rid of it because the maintenance of that color was just killing me. So, I got an Ice Silver and am much happier from a maintenance perspective. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I just want you to know what you'll be getting yourself into. I thought I'd be ok with owning a Brilliant Black car, but turns out I was wrong. But then again, I'm probably more meticulous about things than most.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks,

I read in this forum from others that the phantom black hides dust/dirt a little better. But the brilliant black is fine for me since I can't find exactly what I want in a short time period.

On a good note I got a call from the dealer today and they mentioned that the car was in already(wasn't scheduled until 1st week of September). I went right over, saw it, test drove it, and signed the paperwork.

I was a little upset since I had a friends and family certificate that said I would pay $500 over invoice from a friend that works for Audi. The dealer said they would not accept it (it said on the certificate that is under the discretion of the dealer) since they would not get reimbursed for the discount.

Does anyone know if this is true??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.