Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this odd warning today. Warning symbol above middle dash display and start up message that says ~"Max level, drain oil". Telling me that car has too much oil...?

Anyone else ever get this?

Audi does all my service and just did one 3K miles ago when I was at 15K miles. It has never appeared until today.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got that too once....when i only had 2500 miles on it. i've driven it another 1k and it hasn't occurred since. I've also gotten warnings like "headlights out of range" and the side rear view mirror assist error.

·
Registered
491 Posts
happened to me 3 days after i got my S5. took it t the dealer and they removed 1/4 quart and it went away. now its been on and off for a few months. there are a few threads on this. i think the solution was to wipe off excess oil thats around the oil filler cap. a quick search should get you that thread.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So i walked out of the store today, turned on the car, and got the Max Oil level message saying to drain some oil. I have not been in service recently or done anything else to the car(not parked on slope, or anything like that).

I got 2010 S5 with 19k miles, i bought it with 17k miles, not sure what was serviced before that.

Should i take it to the dealer on monday? i read that warning went away after a day or two for some people, should i take it in anyways?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Should i take it to the dealer on monday? i read that warning went away after a day or two for some people, should i take it in anyways?
Wait a day or two. If you haven't actually added oil, then obviously there's no more in there now than there has been for the last 2000 miles. I had this happen to me once, and the warning went away the next day. So wait and see. And buy yourself a dipstick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
monday? i read that warning went away after a day or two for some people, should i take it in anyways?
Take the cap off, wipe it clean and see if that corrects it. It has happened to me three times, and each time, that has been the solution. Dealer can't explain why, but it works!

·
Registered
31 Posts
This just turned on for me too AFTER a dealer oil change a few days ago. I will try wiping it clean too.. just been too busy to get back to the dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This happened to me after I did a oil change; the warning signal came on about 500miles later. I knew I topped it off. So , I wanted to see how sensitive the sensor was so I evacuated (sucked out) 1oz. at a time and drove the car. After 4oz's were withdrawn , the warning no longer appeared.

I like ChipB's recommendation: buy a dip stick (that was the First item I purchased for the car)! This way you can diagnose your sensor and compare the readings; and you will have peace of mind that the oil level is "in range".

My Theory: Also, beware that a "sticky" or dripping fuel injector could "Add" to the volume of oil in the sump! (I have had this experience with another make and model of car) ; another reason to have VCDS and check for fault codes. After several onces of fuel have leaked down, it will show on the dip stick and it sounds like that sensor is very sensitive. Keep an eye on the stick especially if you haven't had a oil change recently!

I think thats more plauseable than "wiping off the filler cap" ;) That is exactly what a dealer would say - that myth probably started in the sales dept. (and they are still laughing about it)!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So i walked out of the store today, turned on the car, and got the Max Oil level message saying to drain some oil. I have not been in service recently or done anything else to the car(not parked on slope, or anything like that).

I got 2010 S5 with 19k miles, i bought it with 17k miles, not sure what was serviced before that.

I also have a 2010 S5 but with 40k miles and this happened to me as well, right after my last trip to the dealer. I took the car in for a Virginia State Inspection and they asked if I wanted it washed. After the wash, I got in the car and noticed the excessive oil warning light. Brought the service manager over who told me they didn't touch the oil. He also told me that the sensor for this was somehow tied into the sensor for the hood latch.

Seemed like BS to me. He wanted me to leave it, but I had to run. Two days later, the error disappeared. He said he would change the sensor at my next service.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dealer seem to over fill.

Got this odd warning today. Warning symbol above middle dash display and start up message that says ~"Max level, drain oil". Telling me that car has too much oil...?

Audi does all my service and just did one 3K miles ago when I was at 15K miles. It has never appeared until today.
I have only had this happen after a dealer oil change (Audi Service) at 25K.

I had to suck out about 1/4!

When changing oil, I always fill 9 Qts, and then start and warm let the engine warm up. Then i add oil until I am below max, above min on the dip stick. This is important as the oil can grow when warm. I think the dealers put in the full amount, cold, and the expansion causes teh sensor to go off.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just came back from the dealer for the same max oil warning 3k miles after Audi changed the oil in my 2018 S5. This happened 2 years ago and they replaced the sensor. Both times they said the oil was 1 qt over. This time, 1/2022, they just drained the oil and sent me on my way. They can’t explain why I get this warning when no one touched the oil in 3k miles. I have 40k miles on the car now. There’s definitely an issue. I’ve been to 2 Audi dealers for this issue and they say there are no other codes on the car. They don’t want to (or can’t) debug any further so they drain it and call it a day. I’m concerned about my engine having a quart too much oil for 6 months (since the last oil change). Something is obviously leaking oil into the reservoir and causing the max reading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts