Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Has anybody opened manually their soft top roof? In the manual it says that you have to release the storage lid mechanism, but i cannot locate the lever to do it.

Best regards
Theo

·
Registered
24 Posts
Are you looking to just see how it works or have you lost power and need to get it up?

I only ask as my friend wanted to see how hard it would be to manually raise the roof on his BMW 3 series and in doing so he had to take it back to the dealer to get the top reprogrammed! After raising it manually but releasing it via the handles in the truck he couldn't get it to drop again via power.

The dealer told him that pulling the emergency release handle to raise/lower the top manually essentially puts the top in safe mode and needs the dealer to flash the car again.

Just a word of caution :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I accidentally released the emergency released handle in the boot, on the right hand site, and it won't open automatically now. I was wondering if i could open it manually it would reset the mechanism, so as to save a trip to the dealer.

Any thoughts?

P.S.The A5 cabriolet mechanism is different than the A4.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you looking to just see how it works or have you lost power and need to get it up?

Just a word of caution :)
What it's lost power and you can't get it up?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, i keep getting the message soft top not secure and i cannot open the roof with the button.

I really don't know how to fix it. Thats why i thought of opening the roof manually, but from the manual its a difficult task to do it.

Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
i need help, my audi s5 conv, i went to put the top down and had a error, looked in the trunk and saw the roof box still in the up position so i tried to lower it myself. I took the side panel off and pulled the yellow lever on each side. this caused a lot of problems. i have a alert light on now and at 35 mph it beeps and get the msg "soft top not secure". So i took it to the dealer to reset this and fix it, 2 hrs later and 300 dollars i got no results. I was told that the manual release button in the middle of the roof box was too tight to release, and the yellow levers should have NEVER been pulled when the roof was in the up position. Please help me fix this, i love my car but i wanna drive it off a cliff now...300 bucks for nothing..at least make the beeping go away!thanks dealership!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i need help, my audi s5 conv, i went to put the top down and had a error, looked in the trunk and saw the roof box still in the up position so i tried to lower it myself. I took the side panel off and pulled the yellow lever on each side. this caused a lot of problems. i have a alert light on now and at 35 mph it beeps and get the msg "soft top not secure". So i took it to the dealer to reset this and fix it, 2 hrs later and 300 dollars i got no results. I was told that the manual release button in the middle of the roof box was too tight to release, and the yellow levers should have NEVER been pulled when the roof was in the up position. Please help me fix this, i love my car but i wanna drive it off a cliff now...300 bucks for nothing..at least make the beeping go away!thanks dealership!
Did you resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
terry

Did you resolve this issue? I have the exact same problem.
I also have the same proble and all the YouTube videos relate to A4's
I ( also ) cannot locate the storage lid mechanism.
Any help ( with a photo?) would be greatly appreciated
terry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the same proble and all the YouTube videos relate to A4's
I ( also ) cannot locate the storage lid mechanism.
Any help ( with a photo?) would be greatly appreciated
terry
going out of my mind, any news on this?
im going to try and open my roof manually, mine is coming up saying roof is not secure.
crazy how i just went out to my car this morning and it came up with a fault before me even trying to operate the roof

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If you think the 2 yellow levers are locked incorrectly and mmi is still saying 'top not secure' then have a look in the boot/trunk and on each side near the back there are 2 black rectangular blocks which are reed switches. These need to have the small metal magnetic tab which is on the soft part of the storage box resting on them in order for the system to operate.
Failing that have you scanned the car for the fault code?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have exactly the same problem, roof was on, but with error message, noticed one of the yellow levers was floppy, so played with the other and now I have two floppy yellow levers... & a roof that won't open...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If you look in the A5 cab owners manual around page 40-50 i cant recall there is a comprehensive and specific procedure on opening and closing the soft top manually
Have you looked at this??

·
Registered
1 Posts
The soft top on the A5 seems to be a weak spot. Mine had stopped working as well, soft top storage box error. The Yellow levers are there to allow for maintainance on the top. They allow the top mechanism to be opened to access the storage compartment. I think there is a requirement for the top to be cycled (at least it is required for certain errors on the A4's) but the dealers seem very unhelpful. I am going to try disconnecting the battery and then manually cycling the top. No one seems to have an answer to this problem. Can we collectively bribe a dealer tech for information?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Before my storage compartment was not closing now roof is not working after I unlocked lever from storage compartment and lifted two yellow livers. Thanks for any advise how to open roof manually.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been looking for the answer myself. It seems that the car must be re set by Audi. I found a malfunctioning switch and fixed it but the light and warnings wont go away. The Position and Condition of the roof are still error in VCDS scanning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, i keep getting the message soft top not secure and i cannot open the roof with the button.

I really don't know how to fix it. Thats why i thought of opening the roof manually, but from the manual its a difficult task to do it.

Regards
There is an Allen key for this car on the hydraulic pump in the back but a normal Allen key the correct size will do the trick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been looking for the answer myself. It seems that the car must be re set by Audi. I found a malfunctioning switch and fixed it but the light and warnings wont go away. The Position and Condition of the roof are still error in VCDS scanning.
hi DazzaAus, how did you find the malfunctioning switch and how did you fix that?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts