Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

What transmission type do you prefer?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, how many of you would have went for Tiptronic on the S5 if it had been available?

Is the fact that it will be Tiptronic with a power losing torque converter an issue, rather than a more efficient dual clutch type DSG box?

Anyone know if the Tiptronic will have steering wheel paddle shifters a la BMW on the 335 and 535d?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
You forgot to include "I have manual, and if any others were available, i'd still stick with the manual" :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You forgot to include "I have manual, and if any others were available, i'd still stick with the manual" :)
I knew I'd forget an option, hence Other ! :D

I thought many folk would fancy the tiptronic, as the S is a bit more GT than the M3 for example, and am surprised to see the way the poll is developing........

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm still torn... while I very much enjoyed the manual in the demo car, the newest Tiptronic revision now rev-matches on downshifts. This is one of my personal favorite features with the DSG cars, so I'm leaning more and more towards the Tip since I still don't know if I can live with a manual day in and day out...

We'll see.

PS: Tip will have paddle shifters

·
Registered
89 Posts
I am yet to be convinced by anything other than a manual. I have had auto's in the past and have test driven tiptronics such as the 335 (not bad) and E46 M3 (awful SSG). I just feel I have more control with a manual.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oops, noticed a typo. SMG in the M3, not SSG!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still torn... while I very much enjoyed the manual in the demo car, the newest Tiptronic revision now rev-matches on downshifts. This is one of my personal favorite features with the DSG cars, so I'm leaning more and more towards the Tip since I still don't know if I can live with a manual day in and day out...

We'll see.

PS: Tip will have paddle shifters
I like the rev matching too on the TT we have :)

I guess some might say that manual is old technology?

In such an advanced car, should we not all be moving with the times, embracing technology, and accepting that the car may know better than we do when to change gear? ;) I'm being devils advocate here by the way ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with Rab88's comment which is why I've ordered an S5 6sp. I would much rather have a manual. (The DSG option isn't going to be available here in Oz for sometime so it wasn't a consideration). 20 years ago I had a 4speed auto - I persevered but hated it so much I just had to sell the car within 6 months. Then 9 years ago I tried again when I got seduced by the novelty of a 5sp tiptronic in a V6 Passat but I hated that almost as much. Having being given various loan cars by my BMW dealer over the last 7 years, and test driven a few more, most of which were steptonics, I always ended up cursing the gearbox. I've driven both a manual and a steptronic 335 and agree it's got a great engine but the steptonic gearbox is so frustrating for anyone like me who likes a manual! Over 90% of BM's sold in Oz are autos which probably says as much about where they will be driven - largely in built up areas with lots of traffic - than it may say about their owners. The engine in my current 330 is wonderfully torquey so it's easy to adapt the 6sp manual to the driving style that suits your mood, traffic conditions, how many of the 6 speeds you feel like using and how hard you want to press the accelerator! I expect the S5 manual to be just as good - if not better.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have owned several cars with tiptronic and found that only used it when I thought about it otherwise left it in automatic most of time--and I would never go back to the tiptronic since I think you do sacrifice the true feel of the car especially in one like the A5/S5. If you were going to track race often maybe the paddle shifters would allow a degree of fine tuning not allowed by the stick but otherwise for me it is a no brainer--but that is just me so no offense to those who feel otherwise:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a tiptronic S4 and a manual Mini Cooper S and have owned all manual cars in the past. No question, the manual transmission, while not new is the most fun way to drive a car. Modern tiptronics are excellent however and nothing like the way some of us remember automatics to be -- quick shifting, no lurching, rev matching, etc. My S4 has paddle shifters which are convenient at times. I've been very very happy with my S4 and can't fault it's tiptronic whatsoever. It's just not as fun to only push the gas pedal and steer the car. And DSG/S-tronic is just a fancy automatic, nothing more. Efficient technology but still a joy killing transmission.

BTW ordered an S5 in Manual, obviously.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Depends on where i'm driving the car. If I was spending most my time in the london area then I would go for triptronic, otherwise if I was in Scotland more then I would go manual as traffic is no where near as congested.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All interesting comments - manual leading by a mile, which surprises me !

·
Registered
175 Posts
Audi Reply when asked about S-Tronic / DSG Introduction..

I sent a mail to Audi asking if and when they will bring S-Tronic / DSG to the A5/S5

Couple of hours later, I got the cryptic reply below.

Seems they are teasing the DSG-lovers, by not telling us anything :rolleyes:

----------------------Audi Reply Start----------------------------------

Dear Mr. McIntosh

Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in our cars.

Unfortunately we cannot comment on any future changes in our model range. The preparation of any model takes a long time and is paired with the continual updating and optimizing of technologies. This also explains why some projects might be postponed or rearranged at very short notice, or even abandoned for good.

Therefore, we do not give notification of changes until we are sure that these are definite. We hope for your understanding.

Please note, that when such changes have been agreed upon, our Audi partners are the first to be notified. Subsequently, the general public will be informed.

Therefore, we would like to ask you to keep in touch with an Audi partner of your choice. He will gladly keep you up-to-date.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for any further enquiries.

Yours sincerely,

i. V. Walter Briem i. A. Christine Winkler

AUDI AG
85045 Ingolstadt
Tel. +49 (0) 800 2834 7378423
Fax. +49 (0) 800 329 26 2834
mailto:[email protected]
http://www.audi.com

----------------------Audi Reply End--------------------------------------

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have always driven a manual until recently. My current car a MB E 500 is automatic (no manual option), and I miss the manual terribly. It is just not as fun to drive an auto. I ordered an S5 3 days ago, and will be very excited to get back to a manual tranny when it arrives.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
My current car a MB E 500 is automatic (no manual option), and I miss the manual terribly. It is just not as fun to drive an auto.
...or a MB E 500 for that matter :eek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If I had an S5 (or any petrol/gas car) I'd prefer a manual to exploit the rev-happy engine. But I have an A5 3.0 TDI and would have preferred tiptronic. To get the best from a diesel engine you have to ride the torque over a narrow rev-band, which means you have to shift up pretty quickly - no hanging onto revs to get max power at the top end - it doesn't work that way with diesel engines. I really liked my previous Audi 3.0 TDI with tiptronic. You could be lazy and get good fuel economy, you could stick it in sport for more sparkle, you could put it into tiptronic mode and pretend you had a sequential gearbox or you could use the paddles. Whatever mode you were in, flicking the left paddle would give you instant kick-down. I think the tiptronic really suits the diesel engine and gets the best from it. Although my manual A5 is still young and tight, my gut-feel is that it is not as swift as my previous tiptronic car. I'll seriously consider changing when the tip becomes available in the UK. Oh, and for those of us living in central Scotland - Edinburgh City Bypass - a cark park, M8 Glasgow to Edinburgh - a car park. The tip is much better in car parks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
manual is best?

Just to say I have had auto BMWs for years and would have had an auto if it had been available -- but I'm so pleased it wasn't because the manual is such great fun. if you want to be lazy the S5 will pull smoothly from 1200rpm in sixth! If you want to have fun, manual is best! Who needs an auto?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I agree very much jerseybeemer! Even if the Benz hadn't been in the shop 19 times since 5/2004, it still wouldn't be as fun.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts