Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual A5 and I'm thinking about trading it in for an S5. But the S5 at my local dealership is automatic they said I could have them trade it for a manual one but I'm not sure if I want it manual or not. I love the manual transmission in my A5 but when I travel back and forth from school it sucks because traffic in the NYC is terrible. So some times I wish I had automatic but I love the response of the manual transmission. So I need some help should i wait for the manual S5 or is the automatic worth it ? I guess what I'm asking is the automatic S5 as fun to drive as a manual S5?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've driven manual cars all my life here in the UK but due to a motorbike accident last year I now have a tiptronic S5. I love it. It's so smooth compared to the auto boxes of old. Very refined. it pulls smoothly and although slightly slower on the pick-up than a manual, this isn't really that noticeable.

It's really up to you but as you wanted opinions, I love my tip S5 and wouldn't swap it for a manual.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Fortunately I can drive a manual car and there is a benefit. 50% more pedals and big cash savings. (although the Auto S5 is more economical!)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Azadian, I'm with Highrisedrifter on this one. Modern auto's are so good that the benefits far outweigh any negatives. Can't actually think of any negs as with tiptronic, sports mode, paddles etc. they're great. I certainly don't subscribe to the "manuals are more fun" school of thought.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Newer autos are better than old, certainly Tip is nice but I do hate the audi 'Multichronic' set up, can't get the hang of that at all, the R Chronic on an R8 I borrowed was poor too, so for me 'manuals are more fun' sorry you 2 pedal lovers!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tough question in many ways. I have a manual S5 and have had most of my audis in manual and love them. Wife's 09 A4 has tiptronic with dynamic select feature and I will have to admit it is pretty nice frankly. If I drove every day in heavy stop and go traffic I probably would go the tiptronic route but would think about the dynamic select option. I will say that I "feel" a bit more "subdued" and "refined" when driving the automatic and a bit more "sporty" and "nastier" when driving the stick. These subjective feelings usually cause me to go the stick route in cars like the S5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.