Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of a 6000 mile road trip (2800 miles so far). The Fridge
(S5 Ibis White/Tuscan Brown, 6 speed, loaded) is behaving like a champ except somewhere in Nebraska or Iowa the Malfunction Indicator Light came on (I'm not sure when it came on because the top of the steering wheel blocks the lights based on my hight). Car performed normally all the way to Indiana when I stopped (in West Lafayette--Purdue Univ.). When I restarted the car the light finally went off normally (after 2 sec.) and stayed off. I went to the local Audi dealer (they had not seen an S5!!) and when they hooked it up to the diagnostic system they came up with "an intermittant catalytic problem". The tech called Audi USA to report the problem and they said to just drive it normally (fast!!) and if the light comes on again, to go to another Audi dealer. They said I wouldn't hurt the car.
Looking back, somewhere in Nebraska, I filled up and I think the fuel was higher than normal ethanol content (30%??) After running a couple of tanks through the light went off. The tech thinks that may have been the problem.
When driving at 70-80 mph (cruise control) I have been getting about 21.5 miles per gallon.
Has anyone else encountered a "intermittant" malfunction light?

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Doesn't sound like such a helpful light! But at least it's "just" the emissions system ;) Haven't had this problem, no. I did a double take when I filled up with 10% ethanol the other day. I wasn't used to seeing that sticker on the pump (I was out in the middle of nowhere) and was curious whether there were any potential issues with ethanol "enhanced" gasoline.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Somewhere in the owner's manual, it covers the ethanol-blended gasolines. 10% is very common, and also perfectly fine as far as your car is concerned. It will reduce your fuel economy a little, because ethanol has less energy density than gasoline...but the difference is slight (a couple percent, and not too noticable from one tank to the next). 30%, on the other hand, sounds really high...I suspect the owner's manual warns against any concentrations that high. I'd check to be sure.

I hate to be the "RTFM" guy, but the truth is that 3/4 of the answers to questions on this board can be found somewhere in the book. It's more important and more useful than most people give it credit for.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Heh...that did sound a little snarky, didn't it? It wasn't intended to be.

I'll try to be less salty in the future. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Be nice to the non-RTFM types. I had to read through the entire thing for my parent's sake when they got their A5 and it was torture much of the way through. But there are definitely some helpful gems. Had I had my wits about me that day, Id have made note of the important pages, and made a thread here with the list. But I cant do that now - the manual is 3000 miles away and my S5 doesnt arrive for two weeks. I'll think about the cheatsheet approach once my car arrives, but I'll likely mostly be driving it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That one tank of gas was the only one that seemed to have higher than normal ethanol content. I remember the station and there was a choice of 89or 93 octane--I opted for the 93 but it had the higher ethanol. I have since gone through 4 tanks of (normal or 10%) gas so it seems to be back to normal. I never really noticed a drop in performance though I am generally in cruise control. West of the Mississippi River the interstates generally have a 75 mph speed limit so the order of the day is usually 80-85 mph and you won't be bothered by the Highway Patrols. The Fridge is lots of fun in the mountains and on the highways. As far as I'm concerned, it excels at both.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, what's RTFM--I guess i'm showing my ignorance!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.