Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wing mirror caps were looking worse for wear so Ii decided to take them off and respray them and I have royaly mucked them up, I followed all the steps - sand down, prime, wet sand, then paint, wet sand , again then paint again - but Im not happy with the finish they look quite pitted in places in the sanding marks are coming through - I had to use hard sand paper 320 as the bodyshop I took it to previously did not use any primer when they original sprayed them by the looks of it!
So my options are now -
1. Put them and wait til I can get to a bodyshop - very annoying
2. Buy some wing mirror stick on caps from ebay - anybody had any experience of these?
3. Buy some new pre painted wing mirror caps - expensive

Or does anybody else have any ideas or spare caps they would like to sell?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original caps? No just a matt silver.
But would consider chrome/metallic etc for the new caps

·
Registered
91 Posts
Silver is a metallic colour so will need laquer mate.
You need to do them again but flat them down with finer grit or you’ll get marks under the paint that will show through the top coat??

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'm no expert at painting but 320 sounds much too course to me I would think maybe 800 or 1000 to get a smoother finish.
Another option would be to wrap them you could go carbon look then if you wanted.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys - Think im going to let them dry off today/tommorrow then go over them again.
I only used 320 to get the 2 layers of different paint off then flatted back with 800 and 1500 wet to get a smooth finish.
Wouldn't mind some new ones though :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes its all about the prep, spent about 5 hours on one bloody wing mirror to get it to a smooth finish before spraying.
Nightmare!
Never again lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
As SJ says, if you’re still not happy with the finish then wrapping will give a professional inexpensive finish.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always worried about wrapping, I wrapped my front lip on my old 350z but that was nice and flat and flush, are wrapping wing mirrors hard? Around the curves then on the inside where the mirror sits (not obvs behind the mirror lol.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I haven't got a pic from the mirror side, but basically it replaces the whole housing, so looking from the driver's point of view, the whole mirror looks like the S5/RS5 aluminium style mirror casing. :) There is only a black strip on the front underside. You can see it a bit more clearly in the pic below. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't got a pic from the mirror side, but basically it replaces the whole housing, so looking from the driver's point of view, the whole mirror looks like the S5/RS5 aluminium style mirror casing. :) There is only a black strip on the front underside. You can see it a bit more clearly in the pic below. :)

View attachment 177465
They dont look too bad I suppose, I might give them a go :)
The others Ive ordered can always sell on here I reckon as they are the full housing case.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Yeah they do look good. I had to file a tab down a little on one of them to get the LED side repeaters in the new mirror housing. But apart from that, very good quality and they looked like the proper Ally S5/RS5 mirrors, but in plastic. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could try having them Hydro dipped. There are loads of finishes to be had. I've seen a wide variety of prices and would also depend on your location.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts