Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right, it's customary to populate these forums with tales of automotive derring-do, so here's my first!

Had the opportunity to take my 3-day old S5 on its first substantial journey yesterday to run my son back up to Uni (Hampshire to Manchester & back, approx 500 miles). Let me first say that I never covered that distance (or that particular journey - it's one I've done many times) with such utter lack of effort. The S5 is absolutely imperious on such journeys with its DRG, aided by the DLRs (gotta love all these acronyms...;) ) sweeping the lanes clear as it sucks in the tarmac. 3 hours there, three back, 5 minute break in between and yet got out of the car feeling like I'd just popped to the local shops.

Goes without saying, the attention the car received was embarrassing although by the time I got home, I think I'd perfected the nonchalant straight-ahead look, ignoring the stares of passengers in cars as they kept pace alongside, and avoiding eye-contact as they checked out the DRG in their mirrors....

Anyway, my tale. I always take the M6 toll road on that route - £9 well-spent in anyone's book, for the sheer novelty of driving on such a deserted road. It also has a reputation for being lightly/rarely policed and indeed on my last journey up there in my previous car, I took the opportunity of stretching her legs a bit on some sections.

Coming back yesterday afternoon, I entered the Toll Road, initially set cruise to 90 and was happily pottering along in tandem with BM 5-series who'd been showing a good deal of interest in the car. About a third of the way down, the BM pulled out, moved alongside and then floored it (noticed it was a 530d as he pulled away). Every instinct in my body was to hit the gas, reel him in, pass him and continue to limited V-max, a crushing display of Audi V8 supremacy. However, another instinct held me back and as I watched him pull away and round a gentle left-hander, I saw a flash of brake lights and though 'ay-ay, wonder what's up here?'. Almost upon that bend myself, I dabbed the brakes and rounded the bend to see two figures on a bridge, one in a day-glo jacket, the other all in black, cradling what I assume was a laser gun to his chest. Quick calculation had me doing somewhere between 85 and 90 and my immediate thought was 'Sh*t, they're not exactly going to pass-up on a new S5 - f*cking DRGs...!' (although to be honest, by the time I was in visual range of them, he wasn't aiming the gun and was merely holding it as the two of them chatted). Then, as I passed under the bridge and the entry slip just beyond (losing speed all the time), I saw a pursuit car on the slip exit and, a few hundred metres further up, another on the hard shoulder behind a BMW 6 series. Half a mile or so futher up, there was another patrol car parked-up behind a Golf GTI and just in front of them, a third tucked in behind an Alfa 159. Finally, a mile up the road round another curve was a fourth car and his victim - can't remember what his prey was driving.

Quite an astonishing (and completely over-the-top) show of force against the innocent motorist but as I contemplated it all, I consoled myself by reasoning that the gun the cop on the bridge was carrying seemed too small to have a camera facility so I assume that the exercise was all about clocking the speed, radioing to the pursuit team as cars came by and letting them do the rest. Looks like I just snuck under their tolerance threshold as the one 'free' patrol car on the slip road remained there (incredibly, I guess Mr BM got away with it as well although he must have been approaching the ton when he was clocked). Time will tell if my reasoning is well founded.....:confused:

Anyway, once past all this excitement, I wound cruise down to low/mid-eighties and pretty much kept to the limits for the remainder of the way home.

Finally, the moral of this story - M6 toll is a great road, can save a good deal of time at peak periods, but is not the speed-testing facility that I once believed it was. Don't even want to think about the outcome of rounding that curve at 155mph, DLRs blazing and staring into the whites of the copper's eyes as he grinned that sinister grin they all have, clicked the button and reached for his radio: 'Bridge pig to car pig - on your way, Christmas is here again.......'.

(Do I win a prize for the longest, most verbose post yet?)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Prize duly awarded! ;) ...although my three posts on Petrol Vs Diesel must come close!

Close call... it sounds like they were out of persuit cars, so no point aiming the gun until one is free to finish the job.

... I totally agree on the effortless of the Journey... the journey back from Carlisle was over three hours and I felt like I'd just hopped in the thing.

:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
HI Ess5ive, i live by the M6 Toll and the police are always peering over the bridges with their little toys,So to anyone who gets excited by the emptiness of this road beware they are theire somewhere ,waiting ;)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here in the States I have seen this many times. We also get cops in small airplanes that clock you on the highway by painted markers on the highways. Then the squads on the ground stop you.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I've had a good few runs on the M6 toll - course my Irish number plates help ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've had a good few runs on the M6 toll - course my Irish number plates help ;)

Aiden, the police just turn a blind eye when they see Irish plates. "There's Paddy - too much Guinness (sp?) last night - took a wrong turn out of Dublin and can't find his way home" :D :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Aiden, the police just turn a blind eye when they see Irish plates. "There's Paddy - too much Guinness (sp?) last night - took a wrong turn out of Dublin and can't find his way home" :D :D
Works for me ! :D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Great story!!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
they had no chance of catching you if you were doing 155mph anyway

·
Registered
18 Posts
M6 Toll

I did Manchester to London and back 2 days before Christmas to pick up my wifes Pressie. I wasn't in my S5 but my RR diesel, I hit the speed restricted speed of the vehicle no problem and completed the journey there in just over 3 hours, getting back took 6.5 hours. Not a bobby in sight either way of my trip. I've yet to give the S5 a good run, but it will probably involve the M6 toll when I do.

I'm sure you'd have a case for entrapment if you got caught speeding on the M6 toll :) :) Isn't that why it was built:) :) :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure you'd have a case for entrapment if you got caught speeding on the M6 toll :) :) Isn't that why it was built:) :) :)
LOL - you'd love to think so wouldn't you? And for the police to focus so much attention on it - they may as well wait prosecute people for farting in public toilets - I mean, it's gonna happen isn't it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
so how fast did you go? thats what i want to know.

only annoying thing in the S5 is the bloody big ears (wing mirrors) causing wind noise

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You'd be disappointed Vin - I was a real pussy, showing far too much mechanical sympathy. Don't think I cracked 100 (maybe possibly 110 or so) the whole journey.

(And no annonymous brown envelopes through the letterbox yet, so probably a good call - took me ages to get my licence cleaned-up, so would love to keep it that way for a while, at least.....!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts