Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

Has anybody here ever owned an E46 BMW M3? I've had my cab from nearly new for 3 years and am looking to change and like the look of the S5.

It's quicker than mine, but what's the handling like? If anybody can make a direct comparison, I'd be interested to hear. I'm not that fussed about driving flat out everywhere, so as long as it's smooth and has decent grip around the bends I'm sure it will be fine.

On a more practical note, how limited is the rear leg room? I rarely have passengers in the back, but as long as I can fit a child seat in, it should be fine. I'm 6ft, so could anybody sit behind me without me having to push the front seat too far forward?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Marcus

·
Super Moderator
1,277 Posts
Hi donverdi - welcome to the forum! Can you please update your location in your profile? Since you said "fussed" I'm guessing UK ;)

Hopefully someone can directly speak to your comparison, but if there's one thing that is certain, you have nothing to be concerned about with grip/cornering. Just about everyone has raved about the Quattro in the A5/S5s in that respect.

Check this thread http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/winding-road-quick-1030/index.html
for a bunch of reviews. The thread is mainly about A5s, but I know fraser peppered in some S5 reviews as well. That'll help answer your concerns about handling and rear seat room until someone comes along who can make the direct comparison you seek. We do have a number of BMW converts about ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am 6 ft 4 and behind me would not be pretty unless I had the seat way up, but as far as a passenger goes behind the back seat should be no problem. I took my 7 year old with me to the dealership and she had plenty of room in the back seat using a booster seat and still lots of room up front. This pretty much sealed the deal for me and I will be moving from an S4 to S5.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have my kids in the car all the time. No problems at all. My 5 year olds legs barely go down into the footwell so you could go almost all the way back with no problem at this age.

·
Registered
9 Posts
E46 M3 to S5

Hi Donverdi,

I was in a 2005 E46 M3 with Competition Package for almost 3 years. Went from that to my current Phantom Black S5 in late November. To me, the S5 is better in almost every way.

The S5 has a much smoother ride vs. the M3. That was the first thing I noticed. The rear leg room is tight but still better than the M3. Handling and particularly acceleration are almost identical to the M3. While the interior of the M3 was nice, the interior of the S5 is about the best I've ever seen. Where the S5 really shines is in terms of its very high level of techonology. The Tech Package is a must and affords many features and particularly the back-up camera so you don't hit anthing or anybody. The MMI or Multi-Media Interface is awesome and the B&O sound system is the best car audio system I've ever heard. It's really nice to pair the B&O with the Sirius radio/satellite system. The car has so many other technological goodies I don't even know where to start alhtough I have yet to use the Nav system.

Overall, I loved my M3 but the S5 is superior in many ways. This should be no surprise, however, in lieu of the fact that the E46 M3 first made it to America in 2001 and is based upon technology and designs from that era and somewhat before.

Strangelove

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Strangelove

Thanks for the info. I've had a look at an S5 in the flesh and agree that the interior looks great. My M3 is carbon black with a red interior, so I would probably do the same again with the Audi. I've not had the chance to test drive one yet, so I look forward to arranging a spin soon to make a comparison.

Compared to the new M3, the S5 looks extremely good value for money, even when fully specced up (besides the new M3 looks pretty dreadful IMO!). They're rare as well which is always a bonus...As for an RS5 - not sure I can wait and besides, it's going to be big money!

Marcus

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Marcus,

Yes, I agree that the new M3 is an ugly little thing. I was looking forward to it but upon seeing the pics, it struck me as just another awful Chris Bangle desgin with a bunch of overdone visual M treatments. Actually, my primary reason for going to the S5 was that, to me at least, it had this striking exterior with E46 M3 performance characteristics. Living near Chicago, I also wanted the AWD capabilities.

As far as cost, if the RS4 cost 70K, the RS5 has to be even more - if and when it comes out. I also took a pass on a possible RS5 because the horsepower will be over 400 hp. The 354 in the S5 with the 325 pound feet of torque is more that adequate. I mean, when and where would I ever realistically use 400+ horsepower on the RS4 - plus pay 70 to 80K??? Overall, the S5 was the perfect blend of looks, performance and state of the art technology.

Strangelove

1 - 7 of 7 Posts