Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..
Rolled in from the ugly, flat lump on the right hand side of England....

Finally (after looking for many weeks) bought a B8 A5 last Saturday, from nearly 300 miles away (resulting in a 16hour epic road trip - there were some technical (not car related) issues)

It wasn't quite as described but there were enough positives for me to hand over the money and take it home.

I'm sending it to trusted mechanic on Friday before enlisting it on commuting duty so it'll sit outside until then.
These cars have taught me previously unknown levels of patience.

Just one pic, for now (the rear plate has already been changed, that front one will be put to standard as soon as I find my sticky pads)
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all..
Rolled in from the ugly, flat lump on the right hand side of England....

Finally (after looking for many weeks) bought a B8 A5 last Saturday, from nearly 300 miles away (resulting in a 16hour epic road trip - there were some technical (not car related) issues)

It wasn't quite as described but there were enough positives for me to hand over the money and take it home.

I'm sending it to trusted mechanic on Friday before enlisting it on commuting duty so it'll sit outside until then.
These cars have taught me previously unknown levels of patience.

Just one pic, for now (the rear plate has already been changed, that front one will be put to standard as soon as I find my sticky pads)
View attachment 183723
Looks nice, similar colour to mine

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Welcome on board mate car looks good. MOST people wanna mechanic to look over the car before they pay the dosh???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome on board mate car looks good.
Ta... it's alright, I like it :cool:
MOST people wanna mechanic to look over the car before they pay the dosh???
Everything else notwithstanding our mechanic charges £45/hr... we were out for 18 hours.
And he'd have needed ramps to do the job properly.

We have enough experience to work out whether it's fundamentally ok, we just need a finer toothed comb to double check it for us ( and he had to fix a couple of things we knew were wrong when we bought it)

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Ok goddit. So what was his conclusion???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok goddit. So what was his conclusion???
Seems decent enough, going to need a rear subframe in the next couple of years if I'm keeping it.
Which I hope to be..

Said he thought the engine mounts were causing a little vibration at idle and to keep an eye on them, but they are supposed to be new.

It's going in for tracking this week (he had to fit some front control arms and 2 tyres - which were a couple of the things we knew it needed), hopefully get that booked tomorrow.

Found a local place with a 4wd dyno who has experience of these cars, going to go have a chat with them once I have a car sold.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A very decent specimen. I had the same joy when I purchased my 2005 Audi A3 Sportsback 3.2 Quattro on jdmbuysell.com back in the day. I was also lucky enough to have a mechanic brother, and it cost me practically nothing to do a preliminary inspection. For its 60000 mileage, you could say the engine and suspension condition was pretty decent. Anyway, I didn't do any urgent repairs. I would like to know in what sense the car has taught you patience. Were there any troubles during exploitation? I have moved to my Audi without any inconveniences.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to know in what sense the car has taught you patience.
It took me 6-ish weeks to find someone to sell me one.
3 people had cars I wanted were just messing me about, others were sending me cars without enough of the spec I wanted...
In about 35years of driving I've never had so much trouble buying a car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts