Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - here's the story. I had already decided to order an S5 and would have probably done it this coming weekend. However, I went to the local dealer last night to see one (previously I had only seen A5s), and left with my order submitted. Someone had just cancelled their order after waiting 3-4 months and I was able to "slip" in ahead of 7 other orders. It all seemed legit, but I can't help leaving a car dealership without feeling "taken". The order I "slipped into" hadn't made it into production yet, so I was able to modify it to my preferences. The sales guy showed me all their orders online: some were in production and some weren't. My "spot" is in the #2 position waiting to go into production - he estimates about a month for that - and then another 2-3 months for production. Theoretically, I could have my car by July. I put down a $5K refundable deposit and I'll pay $5K over MSRP for the car (that seems to be the standard around here - SF bay area, CA). Does this sound legit? Will I end up waiting 8-9 months anyway? Should I be paying $5K over MSRP? Did I get lucky or did I get used, abused & manipulated? Let me know your thoughts (and, yes, I know you have them....) :confused:

S5 / Tiptronic / Phantom Black Pearl / Tuscan Brown / Vavona Assam Gray Wood / Tech Pkg / Nav Pkg / B&O / Side Assist

·
Registered
298 Posts
OK - here's the story. I had already decided to order an S5 and would have probably done it this coming weekend. However, I went to the local dealer last night to see one (previously I had only seen A5s), and left with my order submitted. Someone had just cancelled their order after waiting 3-4 months and I was able to "slip" in ahead of 7 other orders. It all seemed legit, but I can't help leaving a car dealership without feeling "taken". The order I "slipped into" hadn't made it into production yet, so I was able to modify it to my preferences. The sales guy showed me all their orders online: some were in production and some weren't. My "spot" is in the #2 position waiting to go into production - he estimates about a month for that - and then another 2-3 months for production. Theoretically, I could have my car by July. I put down a $5K refundable deposit and I'll pay $5K over MSRP for the car (that seems to be the standard around here - SF bay area, CA). Does this sound legit? Will I end up waiting 8-9 months anyway? Should I be paying $5K over MSRP? Did I get lucky or did I get used, abused & manipulated? Let me know your thoughts (and, yes, I know you have them....) :confused:

S5 / Tiptronic / Phantom Black Pearl / Tuscan Brown / Vavona Assam Gray Wood / Tech Pkg / Nav Pkg / B&O / Side Assist
Gees is that true (5000 over msrp) I am paying $1500 under msrp here in Pittsburgh. Better check with the other CA inhabitants here.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm in Burlingame and picking up my S4 on Saturday. I paid MSRP and waited about 7 months or more total. I really think MSRP is the MOST you should pay for this car! It's true that CA (or maybe just Bay Area) dealers won't discount as much as other states, but 5k over MSRP seems absurd and I would never pay that.

Did you go to Royal Motors? That dealership is terrible. I've purchased Audi's from Carlsen and Rector with really great salespeople.

Now, I have heard of one ridiculous BMW dealership asking for $25k "market adjustment" for an M3 which is pretty funny. But maybe demand is so high now that some Audi dealers are doing a premium? dunno... maybe others can chime in.

So to answer your questions -- only you can decide if $5k is worth not waiting an extra 4 months for a car. but if it did take 7 months I would walk away with your 5k deposit back.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi ds, my story is similar, i live in canada and i found a dealership who was willing to sell me there demo but 5k over msrp, pretending that i was going to drive it 6 months before anybody else in my province, i accepted cause i really wanted the car couldnt wait !!!. finnally ended up cancelling everything because the sales rep told me over the phone the wrong color( had not seen the car yet ). they were willing to lower the price 5k when i told them i backing up over the deal. Good thing i did i found another dealer that a client bought another model and cancelled his order and ended up having the same spec i wanted delivery due in may not a cent over msrp. So my advice is to shop around some dealership are more honest then other, if i can use such a word, good luck

·
Registered
338 Posts
Most everyone is paying close to MSRP as I did. Is $5000 over MRSP gouging? Yes if you are forced to wait the usual time to get the car. Maybe not if you really are in the 2nd position in line. It depends on what it is worth to you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
$5K over MSRP! Holy ripoff batman!

You are being ripped off. Paying anything over MSRP for any non-handbuilt car is simply ridiculous. How many dealers did you get quotes from?

I got mine for $1500 below MSRP. If thats the best price you can find, it probably is time to go to a neighboring state to order it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
shop around. $5k over MSRP is crazy. The car is hot here in the Northeast and you can still get a few dollars off and stuff thrown in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
$5k over is a rip-off.. the jumping in line thing is fairly normal though.. as you'd think, priority should go to the next guy in line to be moved up, but i think dealers use it as a carrot to get a new buyer in the queue, rather than moving everyone down one and then putting you on the end..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow, get your deposit back, this dealer is a rip-off, paying MSRP is fairly standard anything more you are being taken advantage of, also you should never put down more than $1000 deposit, dealer is collecting interest on your deposit when you should be.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You're basically "legally" paying the sales guy the fee for slotting you ahead of the other 7 ppl. I'd say NO to him, if you want my business for life you slot me there at MSRP, that's it, otherwise, yeah put me at the bottom for under MSRP or kiss my arse good bye, because that's just not right.

Shop around, there are many good dealerships in the nation that trully want your business.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's a normal practice in Russia, random people put deposits for rare cars which take over 6 months to get and then just sell their lineups. Basically they are resellers of lineups and there are no laws against this as long as they pax tax on profit. Line up cost for 2008 Toyota Landcruiser 200 (Very popular in Russia) is around $10,000 otherwise you'll have to wait for almost a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey DS,

I'm from Los Gatos, and purchased my S5 at the Stevens Creek dealership in San Jose. Now, I paid straight MSRP, but the salesperson I was working with was very up front in disclosing to me they sold their demo model (back in September) for approximately $6k over MSRP, to a walk in customer. When it comes down to it, they're trying to make a buck. For right or wrong, if they see a customer doesn't (or won't) care (or know any better) what the cost is, they'll happily take the cash. I don't know that I would do anything different if I was in that business. But as a customer, I wouldn't pay it. If you have any questions about the San Jose dealership, or the salesguy I went through, let me know. I hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
DS
I got my order placed in a similar manner, that is taking over an abandon order. That seems OK
The $5K over is not. Yes the car is in demand, but the dealer is taking advantage.
My order is based on MSRP.
Look for another dealer that can slip you in or has a better allocation, perhaps in a lower demand area than SFO.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the input - looks like the verdict is unanimous, even from the members local to me (possible exception in Russia...). I'll have to go back to the dealer and negotiate and/or find another dealer and get on another list. God, I hate car dealers! Oh well, I guess I'm in for a longer wait.

Hey LazyMick - do you have your car or is it still on order?

·
Registered
120 Posts
the shit list

Thanks to everyone for all the input - looks like the verdict is unanimous, even from the members local to me (possible exception in Russia...). I'll have to go back to the dealer and negotiate and/or find another dealer and get on another list. God, I hate car dealers! Oh well, I guess I'm in for a longer wait.

we should start a list of shit dealerships never to buy your car from. And then mail a copy out to them. They wont be so quick to screw over more customers if their name is on the web in audi forums.......

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hi DS,

I pre-ordered mine in July of last year, and picked it up on January 24th.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, first post, but this thread interested me. As someone whose delivery date was just unexpectedly pushed out by my dealer, I actually disagree with the prevailing thoughts above. (I ordered Dec 3, my expected delivery WAS confirmed multiple times as late March, told I was no. 3 in line back in January, but just found out last week that my delivery date suddenly changed to July with no explanation from the dealer.)

When I placed my order, I was told unequivocally that the list was first come, first serve. So if dealers are letting customers take over an abandoned order that can still be changed because it hasn't yet hit the production system, then they're really just letting them cut the line. (After all, if changes can still be made, then the order is really just a placeholder in line, right?) Since that's the case, I would at the very least expect customers to pay something extra (like the $5K in the original post) for that privilege.

That said, I think the whole process is pretty flawed, and that letting people buy into line is pretty unethical (what? a car dealer... unethical?). If someone abandons an order that hasn't entered production, then shouldn't everybody else who has paid and is patiently waiting just get bumped up one spot?

Just some thoughts from someone frustrated with the lack of dealer transparency (and a strong suspicion that they just let someone buy their way in front of me)...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.