Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Apologies in advance posting here regards my car been A4 and not A5.

Couple weeks ago I bought Audi A4 2012 technik avant with 55k miles, I been getting about 38mpg on average to go to work, from home to work is 25 miles distance average speed is 50mph. Before I bought my car the was not used a lot and I'm wondering could that be the cause of low MPG

I was really expecting the MPG to be much better, is this normal?

I have reset and the average is still the same.

My previous car was BMW 1 Series 2008 and I was averaging 51 - 54 mpg, I used to go to work couple more days on the same amount of diesel.

On paper the car should be more economic, car engine and performance specs.

Engine Size: 1968cc
Fuel: Diesel
Horse power: 161bph

Performance
Combined 62.8mpg
Extra Urban 70.6 mpg
Urban Cold 52.4

Thanks,

Renato

·
Registered
558 Posts
Did you check the basics?

1. air filter
2. glow plug
3. carbon buildup

is the temperature raising to and staying at the middle of the gauge? if it takes too long to heat up, or too cold, the engine's not as efficient (especially for a diesel)

also, the A4 Avant is larger/heavier than an X1.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the basics?

1. air filter
2. glow plug
3. carbon buildup

is the temperature raising to and staying at the middle of the gauge? if it takes too long to heat up, or too cold, the engine's not as efficient (especially for a diesel)

also, the A4 Avant is larger/heavier than an X1.
I didn't know the glow plug can cause low MPG, I'll have a look together with air filter

·
Registered
558 Posts
The glow operates until the engine reaches a certain temperature. It's not just when the car starts. So if the glow plug isn't working well, the fuel mixture won't be as efficient. Also, it may be a big drain on your alternator if it's always on. Probably won't be anything significant, but it's part of the ignition/combusion/energy generation system, so might as well check it.

I had a TDI for almost 20 years, and my thermostat was stuck open. The car took forever to warm up in winter, so my MPG dropped as well. 25 miles is probably more than sufficient to get the engine nice and hot though.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Audi make a fairly solid and therefore heavy car so mpg is not great. Ironically the 3L can deliver better mpg than the 2L cars. Start with a full service and go from there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys, I'm going to do a service and start with air filter.

I bought diesel fuel injector cleaner, let' see if that improves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts