Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've seen a few posts on this subject but no real absolute resolutions so I thought I'd put my problem out there.

I have a 2012 A5 2.0 TDI Auto rag top. 60k miles

Since owning it I've noticed a terribly loud 'whirling' noise from the front tyres but only at 40 and 70-80mph.

It's a resonating sound which is digital (on-off-on off).

I've had it checked over by two local garages and I have listened to their advice and had the following carried out:

4 new tyres.

OSR wheel bearing change

4 wheel alignment (twice)

And still it continues......it's driving me mad!

The car drives perfectly straight and when not at 40 or between 70-80 is quiet and smooth.

From what they say the drive shafts are good and so is the gear box.

For info if I place the car in neural the noise continues and it also does if I dab the breaks.

What next? Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Another wheel bearing?!

Looking at my service history, mine had 2 front bearings at 60k miles.

Does it sound like an old bomber plane?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Actually just re-read your title and you say the noise is at the front?

But they have only changed the rear passenger side bearing?!!

Change the front bearings and that should cure it!

Wheel alignments only cure abnormal tyre wear or it pulling to one-side and handling, wouldn't say it ever causes noises!?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you hit any pot holes recently? I had a buckled wheel after hitting a concrete lump on motorway which cause a similar droning sound at 40 although it was much worse at 80.

Easy way to check this is put spare on and take on test dive if no visible damage to wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been there two! and like you I spent a small fortune. It was a near side front wheel bearing to my amazement. I say amazement because I've diagnosed and change a few wheel bearing in my time. There was nothing to suggest it was the NSF, no play, no feel to it when up on the jack and the green grease was as clean as the day the Audi bloke packed it in. I could have kicked myself because the wheel bearings are cheaper (if you can fit them yourself) than new tyres.
I was even beginning to think the noise was coming from the Quattro diff, but my mate who works for an Audi dealership assured me "it ain't the diff", so good luck.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was one that posted about the whining sound had a bearing changed all gone I would say that also if a garage cannot tell you what's wrong take it to. Another a bearing they should easily know

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
So come on Taffy, did you solve the noisy front end problem and what was the cause???? We are all ears....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Another wheel bearing?!

Looking at my service history, mine had 2 front bearings at 60k miles.

Does it sound like an old bomber plane?
My A5 just started to sound like a ww2 bomber two days ago I noticed a wrrring sound coming from the front of my car thought it was my trans.. so put it in N" an costed ... didn't go away, and the sound changed with speed change...worst was about 35-40mph i have 98K on it now... based on what you guys are all saying it is front wheel bearings ? it it dangerous can I still drive it say 700 Kilometers? I don't notice any steering or braking penalty at all....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes wheel bearings do sound like a dull hum and does sound like you have a wheel bearing going out. If you turn slightly from left to right, when the 'weight' transfers onto that wheel, then you can tell which wheel is giving the problem. Basically if you turn to the right and the noise increases, it's your left bearing.
Yes you can still drive. Some bearing just give noise, some will have 'play' in the bearing. I haven't known a bearing totally go and your wheel fall off. It would have to be totally destroyed to do this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dave thanks for the info... yes I have to agree wheel bearing ... its going into the local shop tomorrow morning. I thought about doing it myself but have no bearing press or puller so heck with it... I took my Honda on the road trip left the A5 home ... didn't want to aggravate the situation... LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I took it to my local shop experts, and Eric said it was the transmission not the wheel bearings. Said when he drove it he heard the noise, but it was not the wheel, they put it up on a lift and ran it up and heard the noise from the trans :( :cry:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I' want to trust my tech but just having trouble accepting that it is the trans, it is classic 35mph to 70mph noise, in front the problem is a drone sound, just like a b29 LOL he said the sound did not change when he turned so could not tell which wheel... Is it possible he mis-diagnosed the problem? I myself jacked up each wheel and wiggled for play, there was none. No ABS light or code. and when I spun the wheel no detectable sound with the engine off and in neutral... "of course no way for me to spin it to 35 mph... but many on our forum have mentioned there can be none of those other symptoms... true?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I would cahnge the wheel bearings , they are cheap and eliminate that as an issue . Transmission problems are more expensive. If if not the bearings not a lot of cost involved, if it is the bearings you have saved a lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would cahnge the wheel bearings , they are cheap and eliminate that as an issue . Transmission problems are more expensive. If if not the bearings not a lot of cost involved, if it is the bearings you have saved a lot.
Thanks for the suggestion I may do that... few hundred vs 4700 for a rebuild ... no brainer right...lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Get a second opinion. I assume you are not going to the dealer (stay away from them....I have had several unnecessary expensive repair recommendations from mine). Where are you located? There may be recommendations for another indy shop in your area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get a second opinion. I assume you are not going to the dealer (stay away from them....I have had several unnecessary expensive repair recommendations from mine). Where are you located? There may be recommendations for another indy shop in your area.
Neil,

No not the dealer, but a seemingly reputable local independent foreign repair shop Hoffman. He doesn't fix transmissions and did charge me a 90.$ diagnostic fee, so I kind of though he really had noting to gain by not doing the bearing job except his shop is two man and he did have quite a lot of work stacked up... I have always taken it to get service at the dealer prior to my last visit where they quoted me 4200 to fix a coolant leak I did myself for 250$ I'm in West Orange NJ... USA ... - I'm going to do exactly that and take it to a local shop that does MB and BMW and Audi.. good rep... this afternoon given time... I think that is an excellent idea before going off the deep end...
Prior to this constant drone I was in fact getting a rubbing bearing noise on my drivers side, on hard cornering like getting off exit ramps etc... not horrible but noticeable. I had it in the back of my mind that I would do this myself once the good weather came back...warmer... LOL then this happened... I'm keeping my fingers crossed... thanks!!

Gene

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm in S Jersey and would highly recommend Autospeed in Voorhees but there are a lot of good shops in the N. NJ, NYC. There are a lot of threads on Audizine for ships in your area audizine.com nj shop - Google Search

I recently had a wheel bearing replace at 125k. VERY faint humming noise. Could barely hear it unless you were on a smooth road

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm in S Jersey and would highly recommend Autospeed in Voorhees but there are a lot of good shops in the N. NJ, NYC. There are a lot of threads on Audizine for ships in your area audizine.com nj shop - Google Search

I recently had a wheel bearing replace at 125k. VERY faint humming noise. Could barely hear it unless you were on a smooth road
Thanks Neil... I'll check the thread....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts