Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got in car this morning and out of the blue I've got no audio sound other than parking sensors which I assume aren't running off the same system. Very strange symptoms as follows...

1. MMI is showing sound muted.
2. Turned volume up via both the MMI control knob and steering wheel but neither work.
3. Press Radio or Media button on MMI works, radio I can change channel and Media I can control CD but it's obviously paused because it's muted.
4. If I press the MMI 'Sound' button from either the Radio or Media menu (i.e. button below/right of MMI knob) it doesn't respond... Weird!
5. Have reset MMI 3 times but not made a difference.
6. Thought I'd try bluetooth phone to see if that worked. Connected fine but can't hear anything and MMI shows a statement 'mic muted'

Could be something simple like a fuse, broken/disconnected wire or worse a blown amp although in my experience usually you hear problems before something like this occurs and why the Mute and no Sound controls on MMI? Alternatively it could a software issue although god alone knows why as nothings been plugged in let alone changed for a while now.

Not got a Vag Com cable at present so not been able to check for any error logs. Also don't know if it makes any difference but worth noting I have B&O.

Oh before anyone quotes the infamous window tinting problem I've not had tints ;)

Anyone come across this problem or got any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Whenever I call the local cable co (cablevision) and tell them I have no signal they ask me if the cable box is plugged in!(DUH) Did you try holding down the Power button for a 30 second pause?-Sorry for the poor humor Spinner I couldn't resist. I had this problem once and held down the power button and it worked, good luck

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL ta almost50, in frustration I have actually tried holding the power button, probably for no more than 10 secs but still it didn't have the desired effect :(

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Don't hold it down - one push can toggle the system between pause and play ... or mute and not.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried that one as well Roger, at worst if it was a user error or a software glitch rebooting the MMI should have sorted the issue out as well.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Well then, you'll just have to sell the car for parts - I'll step up first for the S/C kit and brakes now that they're sorted... ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Answer to your Problem

Ask tech at Audi to check your digital media interface controller
module. Audi had my car for 7 days before they replaced this item
which finally resolved the no sound issue. It could be your amp but
I doubt it. If it is the amp I hope you still have the warranty...the
B-O amp cost 1800.00 dollars, ouch. They seem to have a problem
with these interface modules failing...when it fails there is no sound
period.

Good Luck,

Steve

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have had problem with my MMI 2G, reboot didn't help, only physical disconnecting and connecting, try to find right fuse.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys.

I've put a call into friendly service guy @ local Audi dealer who's also going to ask around the Audi Tech's for me. He also mentioned possibility of media control unit so perhaps were onto something there! Andyhud007 has kindly agreed for me to go grab his VagCom cable this evening so I should have any fault codes later and if makes sense I'll have a play with fuses thereafter

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fixed!

Fuses are in the luggage compartment fuse box, centre row. Pull fuse 3 'Radio/navigation' fuse (7.5amps), fuse 'Control unit for digital sound system' (30amps) and fuse 5 'MMI' (5 amps).

Clearly a software glitch that couldn't be sorted by rebooting the MMI but a power down reboot did the trick.

NOTE: This worked for B&O 2G nav MMI can't say it'll work for other alternatives or if it should even be tried.

BIG thanks to C99!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I had a similar issue with the DAB system 'freezing'. Sound still comes from it but all functions are frozen including volume and it locks out the Bluetooth. If I change to another source such as the jukebox everything is ok. Change back to DAB and it's still locked out.

A reboot of the MMI sorted it, second time it's happened to me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Fuses are in the luggage compartment fuse box, centre row. Pull fuse 3 'Radio/navigation' fuse (7.5amps), fuse 'Control unit for digital sound system' (30amps) and fuse 5 'MMI' (5 amps).

Clearly a software glitch that couldn't be sorted by rebooting the MMI but a power down reboot did the trick.

NOTE: This worked for B&O 2G nav MMI can't say it'll work for other alternatives or if it should even be tried.

BIG thanks to C99!
Always something to learn mate!

Good work! Glad its all fixed again for ya!

Andy

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Believe me, I know many of us V8 fans love to turn the audio off and listen to the exhaust note but it's kind of freaky when you sitting on your own in silence at juntions etc... LOL

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Good to hear you're back up and running again Matt. And really good info for the rest of us with 2G B&O. Well done mate. ;)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Great to see the C99 oracle was right again, and got you sorted. Wouldn't do having you sat at a junction singing to yourself :yikes: ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wish I was so Lucky

Congrats on your fix...my problem was a media contoller. I was
able to verify this as I have a Vagcom cable. I wish all I had to do
was pull fuses :) Nice fix guys.

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

Spinner, after searching for ever looking for someone else that has had this problem I am glad to see I am not the only one... I have had my '08 S5 at the stealership several times to track down the source of this exact problem and nobody can help. I've had it at 3 different Audi stores.

My symptoms are exactly the same and most recently I had to drive the car for an hour and a half with absolutely no audio. I shut the car off and restarted several times at traffic lights during the trip with no success. Then went in a store for 5 minutes and returned to start the car and all audio worked fine again. It's maddening. No Audi 'tech' could fix it. it's happened to me probably ten times in the past year - enough to make me think twice about ever buying another Audi.

Two questions:
- my adaptive light malfunction light comes on pretty regularly but not in coordination with the audio problem. Yet the adaptive lights seem to actually function fine. Could this be connected to the fuse issue?

- did you actually replace the fuses or just pull and clean them or something? I am not clear on what was actually done to fix the problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
- my adaptive light malfunction light comes on pretty regularly but not in coordination with the audio problem. Yet the adaptive lights seem to actually function fine. Could this be connected to the fuse issue?
I've had no issue with adaptive lighting, the fuses I pulled to reset the MMI are only for the radio/nav, MMI and control box for digital surround system, therefore IF you have the same issue as I experienced the 2 are extremley unlikely to be related.

- did you actually replace the fuses or just pull and clean them or something? I am not clear on what was actually done to fix the problem.
I pulled the fused purely to allow a hard reset on the MMI system, there was no need to clean or replace them.

I'd suggest making sure you are aware of the specific fuses I pulled, next time the problem occurs pull them yourself and then restart the car to see if it resolves the issue. If so at least you've got a starting point.

Hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts