Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As lots of You know, there were upgrade of MMI 2G to version 5570.

Lots of us have problem with loss of Bass frequencies. Some clever guy in Motor-Talk.de has found how to take them back.

Solution is to downgrade Tuner sw. from CD 5170.
The 5170 sw. is on first CD of 3CDs pack nr. 8K0 998 961 or 4L0 998 961.

How to do it is in an enclosure.
Sorry it's in German, but I understand it and have no time to translate it, but Google translator may help.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sounds good, we need somebody who can translate to do a step-by-step for this in English-speel please :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If You will follow the pictures and have some experience with MMI upgrade, You can do it even without translation to english.

I did it yeasterday and it works, more Bass :thumbsup:

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Administrator
4,615 Posts
If You will follow the pictures and have some experience with MMI upgrade, You can do it even without translation to english.

I did it yeasterday and it works, more Bass :thumbsup:
for an experience person, I would agree.

anyway, if you could send me the pics., I'll do the translation :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Opening the document in Google then using their translate service reveals the following information:
Remove all CDs from your stereo.
Insert disc 1 in slot 1
Select the RADIO menu on the corresponding function key.
Hold SETUP and RETURN
Check the SW update on the control button
Select 'update from CD-ROM' by pressing the control knob.
Select the option "Custom" with the control button.
Type of Change: N / A = No update information available on the inserted CD N = There is no
Change required E = single amendment (partial update: bootloader or application) is performed
J = bootloader and application change (total change)
Select DO for bootloader and application change
Select both "Application 620" AND "Bootloader 22" for the update.
Select "SWUpdate" and activate the "Download"
Select "OK" with the control knob at the end of list (appears only
Bootloader update of a component).
Start downloading by selecting "OK" with the control button
Note: You may see a warning message with the risk of damage
ECUs. Note that you can ignore at this point.

Hope this helps - I'm going to try it this weekend :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for an experience person, I would agree.

anyway, if you could send me the pics., I'll do the translation :)
Sorry, I posted what I have. I don't have anything else.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Right folks, I've done it. Sorry for the delay in getting these results posted, but perfection takes time ;)
First of all, you'll need to access the hidden menu on the MMI unit by pressing setup and car.
Select MMI > SETTINGS > SWDL manuell then return back to your radio.
Now, remove all discs from your multi changer, and insert disc one of 8K0 998 961 in slot one.
To begin the upload, press setup and return together to access the disc.
Select User-defined option > TUN > TUN (H42) and check both Bootloader (22>22) and Application (620-620)
Return back to the page where you initially selected TUN and scroll to the bottom to Start download
Approximately 2 minutes later, the downgrade will have completed and you can select the option to restart MMI.
The difference in bass in noticeable, so I'm happy I persevered!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Excellent - just need to find my discs again now :cool:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Okay, having located a disk set (Thanks Jason) I attempted the above, only to discover the step requiring "Check both Bootloader (22>22) and Application (640>620)" wouldn't work as I couldn't actually select the checkboxes, no amount of prodding of all the buttons on the MMI control panel would let me select either of them. Did I do something wrong today, or has the world always been like this?

Any suggestions folks?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See attachment in 1-st post, page7, chapter 6, You must check "SWDL manuell".

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ah, that's indeed something I didn't do ... however, the MMI option wasn't there, do I need to unlock the hidden menus with VCDS? If so, it'll have to wait as I've not got anybody local who has got one :cool:

·
Registered
213 Posts
You do indeed need to access the hidden menus. If 'far out in the uncharted backwaters' is anywhere near Lincoln, I'm happy to help with VCDS :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Thanks Darren, it depends whether you mean norf or sarf Lincoln, I'm not far from Sarf, but Norf is a bit much of a trek. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys, I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I think this is one of the best places to look. I have a 2013 FL w/ B&O and yeah, the bass sucks. My car came installed with 5570 (actually I think a newer one than even that). If I'm reading this right, if I can get my hands of the 5170 discs I should be able to downgrade? I noticed these instructions are for the MMI 2G, I have an MMI 3G+ (HDD), would that make a difference?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
3G+ does not use the disc set firmware that you're referring to. Firmware upgrades for yours come on SD card I believe. I've not heard of B&O issues caused by firmware upgrades on 3G+. More likely the sub itself. Are u sure you're not just expecting more than B&O delivers. I have found the bass in my three A5's more than adequate, but some report disappointment. It may be worth you seeking out a local member with B&O and compare them with the same track.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to say...

The old B&O loss of bass after upgrade??

I was very doubtful about this, as I turned up the volume on my B&O and it sounded pretty good. ...BUT I tried the downgrade as suggested for the tuner from version 5570 back to 5170 (the old 5170 disc came in the same set as the update pack and new maps which IO bought on Ebay for £30 the lot).

The downgrade to 5170 made a SIGNIFICANT difference to the stereo. Well worth doing!

P

PS: you CAN buy a perfectly reliable VCDS cable and software in Fleabay....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts