Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

· Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm converting mine for sure if the tips look as good as it sounds! My Milltek will be up for grabs =)
+1

My Milltek is sold for the most part. I just want to make sure the GMG sits correctly and has nice visible tips.

I'll definitely get some pics up Friday when I return.

You making it to the show or what??

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Well there's good news and bad news in regards to the quad tips.

The good news is that they are a great looking exhaust that will not disappear as they become less shiny over time. The outer rim of the tips is beefy enough to be visible regardless of sheen.

The tips are very large and will not suit everybody. I think they look great, but they are 3.5" openings which is quite a bit larger than your standard 3" opening. They are also very low luster that have a more machined look to them than the standard stainless tips.

The bad news is availability is a couple of months out (early January), and they will only be doing a limited production run due to the difficulty in the manufacturing process because of the design.

The limited availability I guess can be a good thing if you're lucky enough to get one of the estimated 25 that will be produced. I have dibs on one so they're down to 24.

I did not hear the exhaust personally, but Fabryce stated that the sound is the same as the dual ovals. The exhaust is setup with dual cans with intricate piping inside the muffler. Imagine an x-pipe leading into the exhaust tips. That's what it looks like when peering inside the tips.

Here are my iPhone pics, but I know Suprablur got some nicer ones that he will be posting soon....

· Registered
457 Posts
fook.

My Milltek is definitely staying on my car, those tips are just not for me...the gap between each pipe is just too large, and the straight large-diameter piping will sit + stick out exactly like AWE's setup, if not more. Like so:

Nastay! So disappointed.

Attachments

· Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
when i first read that they where making 25 i got scared that i wasnt gonna be able to get my hands on a set but after seeing those pics im not not so scared anymore. i think ill just stick with oval or go a different route.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
The tips are even more tucked than the milltek. Maybe Suprablur captured this better ...they definitely don't stick out like the AWE.

· Registered
457 Posts
The tips are even more tucked than the milltek. Maybe Suprablur captured this better ...they definitely don't stick out like the AWE.
I doubt it, just because of how they are cut; straight circular pipes. And just from your pics, it already looks like they're sticking out too far to look good.

edit:
When you say "tucked" you mean just higher and closer to the valence right? That can be adjusted to any exhaust system...it's just an arm-bar holding it.

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Sorry for lag, will post more pics on this exhaust when I can actually get in front of my home comp. =P (probably tonight) -- I like it better than the AWE tips. My complaint about AWE was not necessarily that they stuck out too much, it's that the tips don't stagger enough. *shrug

· Registered
384 Posts
I don't like these tips

· Registered
324 Posts
I Like, so how do I get on the list of 24???

· Registered
1,295 Posts
These didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, but should give you an idea of what they look like. Fabryce did say that they're still in the R&D stage and may not be exactly what they look like when finalized (regarding tip size and tip finish).

Attachments

· Registered
3,586 Posts
I don't like these tips
+1

Perhaps if they didn't have that "low luster" machined look that sizzle mentioned, I might like these more. I think the exhaust tips need to have more of a polished (or chrome finish) look to tie in better with the other chrome accents on the car. Plus, with that low luster machined look, I think it results in the tips kinda just blending in with the stock rear valance. And that's not the look I would want from an aftermarket exhaust. But, that's just me.

· Registered
432 Posts
+1

Perhaps if they didn't have that "low luster" machined look that sizzle mentioned, I might like these more. I think the exhaust tips need to have more of a polished (or chrome finish) look to tie in better with the other chrome accents on the car. Plus, with that low luster machined look, I think it results in the tips kinda just blending in with the stock rear valance. And that's not the look I would want from an aftermarket exhaust. But, that's just me.
The low-luster doesn't bother me as much as the size of the tips do. I think they need to be a bit smaller. I gotta say, this was not what I was expecting from GMG. The second pic from Sizzle demonstrates that the tips could have been made smaller if they wanted to.

This exhaust reminds me of the one that guy with the black S5 had. He posted a thread to show is car drop on coilovers (the back was sitting really low) and a bunch of folks on here attacked his exhaust system.

On edit: I think I actually like the oval tips better.

· Registered
457 Posts
These didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, but should give you an idea of what they look like. Fabryce did say that they're still in the R&D stage and may not be exactly what they look like when finalized (regarding tip size and tip finish).
Any side profile shots?

· Registered
1,295 Posts
Any side profile shots?
Unfortunately this is the closest I've got. The show is still going all week long so hopefully someone will get more angles.

I can say with certainty they don't stick out as much as the AWE's do on Tommy's car that you posted, and they certainly stagger a lot more naturally. I've always felt the AWE system doesn't stagger the tips enough, which IMO kills the look more than the sticking out does.

Since the system is not out for production yet, it would be a good time to send Fabryce your feedback. We already know it's one of the best sounding systems on the market, it would be a shame for it to fail because of some very small changes to the tips.

Attachments

· Registered
1,184 Posts
I want mine as shown. I love the machined/brushed look because it matches my wheels and the lip inside the rear valence perfectly. I also like the way the tips sit and how they're positioned.

Looks like i'll be one of the few with this setup.......:)

· Registered
432 Posts

· Registered
3,586 Posts
My complaint about AWE was not necessarily that they stuck out too much, it's that the tips don't stagger enough. *shrug
But the extension length of the AWE tips is adjustable, as I read on that AZ post where you raised the question, right? So, putting the staggered issue aside, I wouldn't think the length of the AWE tips should be a concern for you anymore. Just curious... is it still? (Sorry if it's a bit off topic for this thread.) I'm just wondering if you feel that the AWE tips would stick out too far, even if they were pushed in to their shortest length.

· Registered
457 Posts
But the extension length of the AWE tips is adjustable, as I read on that AZ post where you raised the question, right? So, putting the staggered issue aside, I wouldn't think the length of the AWE tips should be a concern for you anymore. Just curious... is it still? (Sorry if it's a bit off topic for this thread.) I'm just wondering if you feel that the AWE tips would stick out too far, even if they were pushed in to their shortest length.
TX,
Nope, for the AWE setup it would've taken more than just minor adjustments to get it pushed in; you'd have to cut off some piping along the system to get it in, hence why I didn't bother and just sold it and put the Milltek back on.

Another concern I have now with the GMG quad setup is, it's already sitting so close to the valence (too close if you ask me, higher probability of melting something), when it sits a bit lower than what is shown here, it's going to look even more wack. My Milltek sits a safe distance away from the valence and it doesn't even look like it sticks out like these.

· Registered
3,586 Posts
Glad you clarified that for me, alwin. Thanks for sharing that bit of info. I guess I'll now be crossing AWE off my short list of potential aftermarket exhausts to go with. :(

· Registered
1,184 Posts
TX,
Nope, for the AWE setup it would've taken more than just minor adjustments to get it pushed in; you'd have to cut off some piping along the system to get it in, hence why I didn't bother and just sold it and put the Milltek back on.

Another concern I have now with the GMG quad setup is, it's already sitting so close to the valence (too close if you ask me, higher probability of melting something), when it sits a bit lower than what is shown here, it's going to look even more wack. My Milltek sits a safe distance away from the valence and it doesn't even look like it sticks out like these.
Alwin,

I have the Milltek and they are positioned almost exactly the same. Maybe the pics suck, but if you like the way the Milltek sits, you will like the way the GMG sits.

I'm not trying to defend GMG, but I just want to make clear they look nothing like the AWE setup which I hate and sit just about exactly like my Milltek. The difference is the bigger tips and slightly more gap between the pipes. To me it looks 100X better!

I'm gonna head back to the show this week, and this time I will take my real camera and get some shots. I will also try and pin Fabryce down on final finishes and tip sizes when i'm there. I personally want them as shown, but i'll still ask.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.