Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a 2018 A5 Technik with 50k km on it.

The Audi is certified through the dealership which is not my main concern.

I am concerned about reliability with this car, the dealership has told me that I absolutely need to follow their "maintenance plan" in order to keep my warranty from being voided.

I'd like some opinions on any common problems or concerns you may have had with this car, I'm just trying to do my due diligence before purchasing the car.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Hello mate. Sorry, we Europeans cannot help cos this is a version that we don't get as far as I know. What engine and gearbox has this car got????

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
The technik was a SE spec with a few extras so spec level below the S line in Blighty.
available with base petrol and diesel lumps.also as a diesel ultra with 136BHP so detuned. In the UK these all stopped 2016 afaik.
2 years old and low km I wouldn't be too worried. It's not going to be overstressed.

I would compare their maintenance plan vs audi requirements. If they have added loads of expensive maintenance to their plan they are subsidising their warranty.
And probably not doing the extra work anyway.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
72 Posts
US here, I have the "mid" trim level on my '18 A5 Cabrio, purchased new. Coming up on 19K miles, with NO returns to the dealer other than the 10K PDM. I'm 60, and have never owned a car this reliable; Very impressed! (although I'm still uncomfortable with the first oil change, on a brand-new engine, not occurring until the 10K miles mark, but I am 60....)

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Hehe I agree Botch, I have always changed the oil after a few months personally.....AND I use Redex or STP or whatever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
US here, I have the "mid" trim level on my '18 A5 Cabrio, purchased new. Coming up on 19K miles, with NO returns to the dealer other than the 10K PDM. I'm 60, and have never owned a car this reliable; Very impressed! (although I'm still uncomfortable with the first oil change, on a brand-new engine, not occurring until the 10K miles mark, but I am 60....)
I know what you mean with oil change at 10k on a new vehicle! That being said, *tolerances and clearance when the engine is being manufactured is seriously good these days so less instant wear and tear on a new engine. The days of fist 3k miles at no more than 1k rpm is long gone.
The manufacturing testing required etc to allow a manufacturer to give a certified 10k oil change from new is quite intense (there's a lot of R&D, NPI and production build up to get to that stage - usually following the APQP process with built in and defined development processes yet performed very quickly to get a new model out in a very short time scale).

* Modern CNC 5 axis machines with auto measurement checks, auto tool change and a whole host of other goodies makes for good manufacturing in this modern world. Manufacturers such as VAG, Toyota etc invest heavily in these items.

But....... i would still change the oil much earlier (probably twice!) before 10k. Just to be sure! The cost of oil vs cost of engine longevity and reliability still swings it for me. Oil is cheaper. And i use redex to help keep fuel system clean even though i know UK fuel is very good! Old habits die hard!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts