Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm still waiting to order my S5 (need to wait until I'm back in the US) but have been giving my order significant thought and am looking for some experienced opinions.

*S5 MT6 - No questions
*Nav and tech packages - No questions
*Stainless steel inserts - No questions
*Brilliant black - I'm willing to sacrifice extra detailing time for a deeper black, so I think I'm better with Brilliant then Phantom (plus save some $)
*Pearl, Magma, or Black - REALLY torn here. I liked the Magma until I saw pics of the back seat, at which point I felt like it was Magma overload. I think the Pearl would look really nice against the black exterior and with tinted windows lighten up the interior nicely (with black headlining and dash). However, I imagine there's extra upkeep involved given the color and don't want to stain my seats accidentally. Black/Black/Black is always an option, but I feel like it might be too dark in the cabin with this combo. Thoughts? I'm sure everyone loves their interiors, but do you think any of my concerns have merit?
*B&O - Another tough one. I've heard some negativity about the system and am interested in modifying the audio system to my needs. The two most important aspects are the preformed dash speaker spaces (which is now of questionable utility given SFumph's experience) and what I read about the B&O utilizing a digital pre-out to the amp versus the non-B&O utilizing an analog pre-out. Since I want to maintain a stock source, the digital pre-out is damn near a requirement. Does anybody have a definitive answer on the pre-out issue? Also, is the connector a standard one?
*Drive select - I think I'm going to skip the drive select in favor of an aftermarket coil-over system that I expect will conflict with Drive Select. Also, I'm not sure I trust such a new system that integrates the disparate parts of the engine/suspension/transmission.

Thank you for any help and insight into these things and hopefully I will be enjoying a great car before the end of the year!!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
*B&O - Another tough one. I've heard some negativity about the system and am interested in modifying the audio system to my needs. The two most important aspects are the preformed dash speaker spaces (which is now of questionable utility given SFumph's experience) and what I read about the B&O utilizing a digital pre-out to the amp versus the non-B&O utilizing an analog pre-out. Since I want to maintain a stock source, the digital pre-out is damn near a requirement. Does anybody have a definitive answer on the pre-out issue? Also, is the connector a standard one?
Actually, I think the "pre-out" is dependent on whether or not the car has a MOST fiber-optic loop. The B&O amplifier uses analogue pre-outs in non-MOST cars, and digital MOST fiber-optic connections in MOST cars. The B&O in this regard is known fact - there are different versions of the B&O amp depending on whether the car has MOST or not. I believe the same to be true for the regular Audi sound system as well, at least that is how it is done in other MOST-based Audis (like the A6), amplifier connects to the radio module (both in trunk) via MOST fiber-optic cabling. I haven't researched 100% does the regular Audi sound system use MOST fiber-optic cabling in MOST A5s/S5s, but if I had to guess I would guess it does.

To cut the story short, if you buy factory navi, you get MOST. If you don't, you don't get MOST. A longer version in the link below:

Difference between standard radio Concert/Symphony and the optional DVD navigation's MMI controls in B8 platform Audi A4 and A5
http://www.geocities.com/a6retrofit/articles/a4a5realmmi.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loc,

Thank you for the clarification. The article you linked too was actually where I had misread my B&O impressions. I guess the question is now:

1) Does the Non-B&O with Navi/MMI definitely use a digital pre-out
2) Can the Audi MOST audio pre-out (B&O or not) be connected to after market amps. I did a quick search and found some harnesses, but not for the application I was interested in (I think).

Finally, anybody have the non-B&O and have any aftermarket thoughts? I don't know who provides the standard audio system but I recall BOSE using unusual impedances for their systems which can be a pain and was wondering if this would be a factor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts