Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I had Audi change the S-tronic oil without issue, so hopefully that should keep it happy. Interestingly, they highlighted that it has the wrong engine undertray? The one I have is plastic and apparently is should be metal on the Cabriolet. Quoted about £150 to replace it. My gut says it shouldn't be an issue as it's only designed to aid airflow and keep crud out of the engine bay.

Anyone got any thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the comprehensive response Dave. I forgot to mention that it's the convertible I'm going for, so the engine is actually the v6 supercharged with STronic gearbox. Thanks for the tips about things to look for and known faults. Very much appreciated.

Test drive on Sunday, fingers crossed it's a good one!
I have the convertible. I bloody love it! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had Audi change the S-tronic oil without issue, so hopefully that should keep it happy. Interestingly, they highlighted that it has the wrong engine undertray? The one I have is plastic and apparently is should be metal on the Cabriolet. Quoted about £150 to replace it. My gut says it shouldn't be an issue as it's only designed to aid airflow and keep crud our of the engine bay.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Hey there, greetings from SYD. My Cabriolet engine undertray is plastic as well (2011 Model). I would not see it as an issue at all, in fact wouldn't plastic be better for the UK? Salt on the roads when it snows etc.
I had Audi change the S-tronic oil without issue, so hopefully that should keep it happy. Interestingly, they highlighted that it has the wrong engine undertray? The one I have is plastic and apparently is should be metal on the Cabriolet. Quoted about £150 to replace it. My gut says it shouldn't be an issue as it's only designed to aid airflow and keep crud our of the engine bay.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Hey there, greetings again from SYD. My Cabriolet engine undertray is plastic as well (2011 Model). I would not see it as an issue at all, in fact wouldn't plastic be better for the UK roads? All the salt they use when it snows would corrode the metal (unless it's Aluminininum 😊).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

Anyone got any thoughts?
Eh!? Never seen a metal undertray, apart from on a off roader or rally car!!

Are you sure they said and mean't the undertray?

I can't see Audi producing a mild steel sheet metal undertray as Audi-S5-Aus says, it will rust in no time with all the knocks, scrapes and road sand blasting it gets. And if was made out of Aluminium, Audi would stick an extra 0 to the £150!

Me thinks there is some confusion here or the dealer is trying it on!?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Ps, I can understand the Cab having extra support underneath, but the cross brace that is under the engine and on top of the undertray does that job, not the undertray as it is bolted to the front bumper and a few other bits with low strength attachments and is defo not an integral part of the chassis structure.

Happy to be proved wrong tho! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey there, greetings from SYD. My Cabriolet engine undertray is plastic as well (2011 Model). I would not see it as an issue at all, in fact wouldn't plastic be better for the UK? Salt on the roads when it snows etc.

Hey there, greetings again from SYD. My Cabriolet engine undertray is plastic as well (2011 Model). I would not see it as an issue at all, in fact wouldn't plastic be better for the UK roads? All the salt they use when it snows would corrode the metal (unless it's Aluminininum 😊).
Yeah, I'm happy with it being plastic. Good that someone else's is also plastic which makes me suspect that the mechanic got his info wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Eh!? Never seen a metal undertray, apart from on a off roader or rally car!!

Are you sure they said and mean't the undertray?

I can't see Audi producing a mild steel sheet metal undertray as Audi-S5-Aus says, it will rust in no time with all the knocks, scrapes and road sand blasting it gets. And if was made out of Aluminium, Audi would stick an extra 0 to the £150!

Me thinks there is some confusion here or the dealer is trying it on!?
Yep, defo said it should be a metal under-tray. See here - https://audicam.audi.co.uk/vv/video/1/qpGwLS_nt3ZiQ2J4Eejmzk/11743262

As Audi-S5-Aus also has a plastic under-tray, I suspect that the mechanic was just mistaken. But that does leave the question, is there a metal under-tray available? If so, what's the need for it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So far loving the car and there's only 2 small faults, I think the front(?) brake discs are warped as I can feel a vibration when braking from high speed. Not a biggie and happy to wait until they need replacing naturally. And the other is that one of the heated rear window elements has failed. Again, not a biggie as all the others work, just a niggle.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
According to the parts database the sportback/coupe has 8K1 863 821 and the cab has 8F0 863 821. A quick google of both suggest they are similar and plastic.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Can't see your Audi Cam as you need login credentials! :)

I have not actually seen an Audi Cam, even though I was promised it on 2 occasions! But then again my Audi dealer experience was crap, probably best I didn't see what crap the technician was doing to my car! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hmm... Tested the Audi Cam and seemed to work OK yesterday, must've cached the credentials.
Try this instead:

You may need to download it if it doesn't play from the web.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Haven't been able to use it with the roof down yet, but loving it so far and can't wait for summer.
Oh! Surely you've been tempted? One cold but sunny day, woolly hat, scarf and thermals, heater on full blast, roof down and going nuts? Might get a few strange stares but who cares! 😄

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Oh! Surely you've been tempted? One cold but sunny day, woolly hat, scarf and thermals, heater on full blast, roof down and going nuts? Might get a few strange stares but who cares! 😄
You're right, I have been tempted but wimped out worried that the roof was damp or some other silly excuse. I used to do exactly that in my old MG Midget, wrap up warm, heater on full and roof down on sunny winter days.

OK, challenge accepted, next dry and sunny day :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're right, I have been tempted but wimped out worried that the roof was damp or some other silly excuse. I used to do exactly that in my old MG Midget, wrap up warm, heater on full and roof down on sunny winter days.

OK, challenge accepted, next dry and sunny day :)
Awesome! Photo before heading out pls! Need proof 😊

21 - 35 of 35 Posts