Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to this but could do with some help...
I have an A5 2009 coupe. A couple of days ago the drivers side door handle stopped working from the outside (zero resistance so I thought maybe the cable had snapped - was working from the inside though).
I was due to get that fixed this week however in some sort of weird coincidence the central locking is now not working from either of the fobs.
So I am unable to use the manual key as the driver door decided to revolt, there is no key slot (?) on the passenger side or the boot and so I can not get in!
I presume the central locking is not working because the battery is dead (used it a few days ago though).
Any help would be great! 😁

·
Registered
Audi A5 f5 3.0 TDI Quattro S line S tronic Virtual Cockpit Driving assist pack
887 Posts
Oh that’s a tough one,

Common problem with door lock actuator failing and needing replacement.

however if your battery is also dead then you really are locked out unless you get the door wedge kit where you can open the door from the inside? Get the bonnet open, and jump start so you can open things up?

Sounds like a nightmare to be honest.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

~Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
Would the battery being dead be the only reason the key fobs wouldn’t unlock it. Tell me there’s another reason... 🙏🏻
If I am actually locked out (completely in denial currently), is a door wedge easy or should I just call someone?!
Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
If the battery is dead I've read a suggestion/tip on the A5 FB page to raise the car so as to get access to the starter motor terminals. If you put power (jump leads) to one of the terminals & an earth (chassis) it should give power to the battery to enable you to use the central locking.......be careful when connecting to the starter motor that you don't short to the body/chassis.

Also, if you can get the boot open you should be able to get in via the rear seats & use the inside door lock......as I had to do last year on my old B8 when the door actuator failed.

Reactions: SimonRoma

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the battery is dead I've read a suggestion/tip on the A5 FB page to raise the car so as to get access to the starter motor terminals. If you put power (jump leads) to one of the terminals & an earth (chassis) it should give power to the battery to enable you to use the central locking.......be careful when connecting to the starter motor that you don't short to the body/chassis.

Also, if you can get the boot open you should be able to get in via the rear seats & use the inside door lock......as I had to do last year on my old B8 when the door actuator failed.
Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks!
Would the battery being dead be the only reason the key fobs wouldn’t unlock it. Tell me there’s another reason... 🙏🏻
If I am actually locked out (completely in denial currently), is a door wedge easy or should I just call someone?!
Thank you!
Yes, if the battery's dead and the doors are locked, even the manual key won't work 🤦‍♂️ ...

I've had this issue but being the resourceful type (and a bit of a bodger) I managed to open the driver's door with a length of 3mm wire fashioned into a hook at one end, I used a plastic trim tool to pry the driver's door glass away from the seal slightly and wiggle the wire hook between. With a bit of perseverence you should be able to get the hook over the interior door handle, give it a firm pull at the other end and hey presto! Door open. It took a bit of buggering about at first but I can do it in under five minutes now.

I've had unending problems with the battery going dead lately, it's largely because of Covid I'm only driving a couple of miles at a time so the battery's getting discharged starting the car and not having the opportunity to fully recharge with such short trips. I've actually rigged up a small solar panel and charge controller that I had lying about from my campervan to act as a trickle charger (I've no mains electric near where I have to park), seems to be doing the trick so far even in winter conditions (y).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had to sort both doors on my A5 when i first got it on one side i took the actuator apart and changed the motors inside and the other side i had to replace the bowden cable and the actuator was fine.I brought the motors from ali express and they took a few weeks to turn up much cheaper than new actuator but it is a very fiddly job to take apart.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Have you tried changing the small battery inside your key fob?? Murphy says they often all discharge at the same time?? Good luck xxx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice so I tried all the things, manual key, battery in the fob and also using a bit of wire to open it which was the only thing that worked. After much trying through the passenger side door and getting very close, I tried the drivers side (I did not know that only the drivers side would open if it’s locked with battery dead).

I was feeling very happy with myself and jumped the car and then... two days later when I went to get the battery replaced, it had died again. This time I just called a guy to come and do all the work. 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, if the battery's dead and the doors are locked, even the manual key won't work 🤦‍♂️ ...

I've had this issue but being the resourceful type (and a bit of a bodger) I managed to open the driver's door with a length of 3mm wire fashioned into a hook at one end, I used a plastic trim tool to pry the driver's door glass away from the seal slightly and wiggle the wire hook between. With a bit of perseverence you should be able to get the hook over the interior door handle, give it a firm pull at the other end and hey presto! Door open. It took a bit of buggering about at first but I can do it in under five minutes now.

I've had unending problems with the battery going dead lately, it's largely because of Covid I'm only driving a couple of miles at a time so the battery's getting discharged starting the car and not having the opportunity to fully recharge with such short trips. I've actually rigged up a small solar panel and charge controller that I had lying about from my campervan to act as a trickle charger (I've no mains electric near where I have to park), seems to be doing the trick so far even in winter conditions (y).
This worked for me too!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.