Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, before I dig through my manual to try to figure this out I thought I'd ask here... I just got my A5, so I'm still in the learning phase with some stuff... the question I have today is the door locks. In any of my other cars, I get to work, hit the lock button on the door panel to lock both doors, get out, close the door and walk away. On my A5, i hit the door lock button on my door panel and it does nothing... won't lock the doors. But if i hit the lock button on my fob they both lock instantly. Is this by design, or is something wrong with my door lock button on the door panel?

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If you just close the door, and look on the door handle (outside) itself, there is a little square section, press your index finger at it and it will lock the door. Its a touch sensor built into the door.
I don't think mine has that feature. It has the little square, but touching it does nothing. I was just outside messing around with it and when I'm sitting inside the car with the doors closed, I can lock the doors with the button on the door panel, theres a red light that illuminates right on the switch indicating the locks are engaged... but if i open the drivers door to exit the car... the lock button on the door doesn't work. I cannot lock the car using the lock button on the door, and must use the fob to do so...and even that only works after I'm completely out of the car with the door closed.

Is this just how they all are, or can I change the lock settings somehow? I'd much prefer to be able to lock the doors by just pressing the lock button on the door panel as I exit rather than having to remember to hit the button on the fob before I walk away.

· Registered
7 Posts
I dont recall an option in the car menu, but its possible. I'll check later tonight when I get home. What I noticed though is that I have to press my thumb sideways on that touch sensor as if I was giving a fingerprint in order to get that beep that lets you know its locked. Also may depend on year? I have a 2010 A5.

· Registered
428 Posts
Seems like it would have been less trouble to RTFM.

· Registered
884 Posts
Sensors are only in cars with advanced key.

Don't know if you can change the settings buts it's sensible as it stops you accidentally locking the keys in the car.

· Registered
160 Posts
Are you referring to the lock button on the inside of the drivers door near the wing mirror? As far as I'm aware, that's a " through a rough part of town" security lock to protect against being car jacked whilst still driving. It's overridden by opening the drivers and/or passenger door from the inside ( as a safety feature to prevent you getting trapped)

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Are you referring to the lock button on the inside of the drivers door near the wing mirror? As far as I'm aware, that's a " through a rough part of town" security lock to protect against being car jacked whilst still driving. It's overridden by opening the drivers and/or passenger door from the inside ( as a safety feature to prevent you getting trapped)
Yes, that's the button I'm referring to. On any of my other cars you are able to lock the doors with this button as you exit the car if your keys have been removed from the ignition. Thank you for your explanation, and help... I'll just have to get used to locking the car with the fob.

· Registered
1,474 Posts
I don't think mine has that feature. It has the little square, but touching it does nothing. I was just outside messing around with it and when I'm sitting inside the car with the doors closed, I can lock the doors with the button on the door panel, theres a red light that illuminates right on the switch indicating the locks are engaged... but if i open the drivers door to exit the car... the lock button on the door doesn't work. I cannot lock the car using the lock button on the door, and must use the fob to do so...and even that only works after I'm completely out of the car with the door closed.

Is this just how they all are, or can I change the lock settings somehow? I'd much prefer to be able to lock the doors by just pressing the lock button on the door panel as I exit rather than having to remember to hit the button on the fob before I walk away.
You need 'Advanced Key' to be able to lock the doors by touching the sensor on the outer handles (little square section).

Even if you could lock the doors (with the interior button) whilst they were open how would you go about activating the alarm?

· Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need 'Advanced Key' to be able to lock the doors by touching the sensor on the outer handles (little square section).

Even if you could lock the doors (with the interior button) whilst they were open how would you go about activating the alarm?
You shouldn't have to activate the alarm if you simply want to lock it. I've never owned a car you couldn't lock by pushing the lock button on the door panel. Seems silly you HAVE to use the fob to lock the doors.

· Registered
82 Posts
I have advanced key, new A5 and have a cpl questions.

1) I have been opening the door without the key but have got into the habit of using the fob to lock the car after leaving. Am I right in thinking i can lock the car just by leaving or do I need to touch the sensor on the door handle

2) What is the best way to leave someone in the car unlocked, like an eldery mum :) to ensure the alarm does not go off ? There is a red button on the side of the door as it opens that looks like its for towing, do I use that to ensure the alarm does not go off with someone inside?

cheers

· Registered
1,474 Posts

1) I have been opening the door without the key but have got into the habit of using the fob to lock the car after leaving. Am I right in thinking i can lock the car just by leaving or do I need to touch the sensor on the door handle

2) What is the best way to leave someone in the car unlocked, like an eldery mum :) to ensure the alarm does not go off ? There is a red button on the side of the door as it opens that looks like its for towing, do I use that to ensure the alarm does not go off with someone inside?

cheers
1) Nope, you need to touch the sensor on the door handle or use the fob.

2) Don't lock the car, the alarm won't go off because it only activates when you lock the car.

· Registered
804 Posts
Right, so in summary, in an ideal world as you exit the vehicle you want to be able to press the interior lock button to lock the car, right? I'll be honest - I've no idea if it is possible. I actually don't understand why you would want to... surely if you have just stopped the vehicle then you have the fob in your hand? If what you want to achieve is to allow you to leave the car locked but unalarmed (because you are leaving someone/thing in there temporarily) then as you exit there is a button you can press that disables the alarm on the end of the door.

@IndigoStar

1) The process is wrap your hand around the handle to enter, to exit dab the square and then you can test pull the handle to check it's locked. But you only have a few seconds to do this otherwise it unlocks the car again. Walking away without either locking with the fob or touching the square will leave your car unlocked.

2) Easiest way is just to walk away! You could press that button to leave the alarm inactive, but not sure if it disables the Safelock or not, which would leave the person locked in the vehicle and unable to get out in the case of an emergency, check the manual for that. ;)

One word of warning - if you accidentally lock the car but then realise you should have left it unlocked when you press unlock on the fob - make sure you actually open a door otherwise the car will relock and rearm after 30 (I think) seconds. Leaving the person stuck in the car... much to my wife's annoyance. :)

· Registered
852 Posts

cheers
1) Already answered.

2) If I leave my wife in the car for a short time she simply locks herself in by using the button on the door. Alarm will not go off since there is no motion sensor. If she wants to get out she unlocks the door.

· Registered
1 Posts
You shouldn't have to activate the alarm if you simply want to lock it. I've never owned a car you couldn't lock by pushing the lock button on the door panel. Seems silly you HAVE to use the fob to lock the doors.
I agree with you 100% I have the advanced key so the little square works but lets say the keys are upstairs and I am too lazy to get them. you cant lock the car without the fob. The manual says that after time the car will lock by itself. the only to find out is to do a test. first car with this weird programming.

· Registered
1 Posts
We recently acquired a Audi Q5 and I’m finding out the same odd thing for the interior lock button. I really dislike it. The worst part so far, I was taking out the garbage late before going to bed, noticed the car was unlocked, open the door, tried to use the interior lock button since I didn’t have the keys and I was out of luck, couldn’t figure out how to lock it without going in the house, finding the keys then locking it remotely. The car either doesn’t have a lock feature after X amount of time or it doesn’t work. Honestly I think the interior lock function should work differently… like every other car I’ve owned. I could care less if the alarm gets set… I just want to lock the stupid thing if I need to…

· Registered
1 Posts

I have the same issue. I believe they don't want you to be able to lock yourself out if you leave the fob inside the vehicle. The sensor on the door handle is very frustrating as well. Sometimes it will lock and sometimes it won't. I will address this with the service department. I dont know if it miss reads the fob??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts