Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED A 2010 A5 CONVERTIBLE WHICH ONLY HAD THE KEY BUT NOT THE FOB. THE KEY UNLOCKS THE DOOR OK AND I JUST PRESS THE BUTTON AND THE CAR STARTS. I PURCHASED A NEW FOB HOWEVER I NEED THE OLD FOB SO THAT THE NEW ONE CAN BE PROGRAMMED. IT IS QUITE OBVIOUS THAT THE FOB IS HIDDEN IN THE CAR SOMEWHERE OTHERWISE THE CAR WOULD NOT START. THIS MORNING I RECEIVED A MESSAGE ON SCREEN TO REPLACE KEY BATTERY! DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE FOB SENSORS ARE SITUATED IN THE CAR SO THAT I CAN SEARCH TO SEE IF THE FOB IS TAPED TO ONE OF THOSE AREAS?
THANKS LEON

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Centre console under gear selector area, in each door, in the boot.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There is a usually fob holder in the glove compartment attached to the inner side - I think its supposed to the dummy fob which you put your emergency key into to work the ignition - others more knowledgeable might be able to chime-in, but you might not need to look for the actual fob with buttons - have a read here:

The emergency key will have the key id to work the car, but I am guessing you need the fob to project the signal. I would look in the compartments under the seat first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought
There is a usually fob holder in the glove compartment attached to the inner side - I think its supposed to the dummy fob which you put your emergency key into to work the ignition - others more knowledgeable might be able to chime-in, but you might not need to look for the actual fob with buttons - have a read here:

The emergency key will have the key id to work the car, but I am guessing you need the fob to project the signal. I would look in the compartments under the seat first.
I purchased my car at auction site unseen and when it arrived it had only the key and I was told that I only need the key to unlock as I have a push button start. I bought a new key with Fob and called in a Locksmith to programme the Fob and cut the key. He advised me that he needed the Fob that came with the car ( which it didn't) to programme the new Fob when I told him that I did not have it he said that it must be taped iside the car somewhere or else the car had been doctored so not to need a Fob. When I was driving yesterday a sign came up on the dash to replace key battery which tells me that the Fob is somewhere in the car. He also stated when that battery runs flat in the Fob the car will stop. Is that correct??

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought

I purchased my car at auction site unseen and when it arrived it had only the key and I was told that I only need the key to unlock as I have a push button start. I bought a new key with Fob and called in a Locksmith to programme the Fob and cut the key. He advised me that he needed the Fob that came with the car ( which it didn't) to programme the new Fob when I told him that I did not have it he said that it must be taped iside the car somewhere or else the car had been doctored so not to need a Fob. When I was driving yesterday a sign came up on the dash to replace key battery which tells me that the Fob is somewhere in the car. He also stated when that battery runs flat in the Fob the car will stop. Is that correct??
I'm not sure - its a bit weird - why would anyone hide the fob in the car and use the manual key? Perhaps the fob fell apart so they couldn't carry it around - its a bit crap, really. Anyway, as you had the battery error it must be in there somewhere. I imagine when the battery is gone, you wont be able to start the car.

Just a thought, does your manual key look like a blade or more like the emergency key in the photos. If its the latter, Audi might be able to program a new fob for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure - its a bit weird - why would anyone hide the fob in the car and use the manual key? Perhaps the fob fell apart so they couldn't carry it around - its a bit crap, really. Anyway, as you had the battery error it must be in there somewhere. I imagine when the battery is gone, you wont be able to start the car.

Just a thought, does your manual key look like a blade or more like the emergency key in the photos. If its the latter, Audi might be able to program a new fob for you.
It's a proper key that has come out of a Fob, I have been trying to get into our Audi dealer to get another Fob programmed for about a week now but they just don't like returning phone calls so much for Customer Service on the Gold Coast

1 - 8 of 8 Posts