Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
714 Posts
Bit of a surprise this Q5.

http://www.whatcar.com/news-special-report.aspx?NA=232309&EL=3242271

I hate it's big brother, the Q7. In my view it's pig ugly and vulgar. It really put me off the Audi brand when it first came out because I started to think they were trying to appeal to a particular kind of driver that I'd never associated with Audi (the ones who think they've always got right of way, park across 2 spaces etc). Not something I want to be associated with; leave it to the X5 and Range Rover drivers*

So, I was all primed and ready to have a go at the Q5 as the "poor man's Q7" in the same way the repugnant X3 tries to ape the styling of the X5 without managing to achieve any of the oh-so-important function (I do conceded that the big brutes like the X5 and Q7 are marvels of engineering). I now have to eat humble pie. The Q5 seems really nicely done. The proportions look good, the styling is spot on and it looks like a great functional family car. Furthermore Audi seem to have struck a really good balance between performance and economy (note the appearance of the new 2.0 petrol unit)

If I were car shopping right now then I'm not sure it would be an A5 I'd have on order.

*Apologies to anyone with a Q7, X5, Range Rover etc but in my experience bad/dangerous driving is almost universal with these cars. I know not everyone in these cars is a complete prick ... but most are (or drive like it, at least). What really annoys me is that all the bad practices are deliberate - they're calculated to goad, annoy and say "f*ck you". It's not like you accidentally pull out from a junction or tailgate someone at 90mph on the motorway for 20 miles. Rant over.

·
Registered
247 Posts
wow, I'm glad to see Audi beautifying their line.
Although I'm not a fan of the Q7, the Q5 is impressive in design.
Thanks for the post!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.