Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember that I had an LED go out in my nearside headlight less than one week after delivery back in January. :(

Anyway, the same one went out again on Saturday - maybe as a protest against the MX-5 that I was looking at and have now bought.. :)

It is going in tomorrow to have the headlight replaced this time. Last time the LED came back on before I could get it booked in at the dealer.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
no problems since the headlamp was replaced after my "goofy tooth".

At least you will get your car cleaned for free :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just curious to know if anyone got the A5 without the LED option. My understanding is that here in the US, the base A5 has the "base" headlight unit without the LEDs according to the brochure. Just wondering what it looked like without LEDs.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Some of you may remember that I had an LED go out in my nearside headlight less than one week after delivery back in January. :(

Anyway, the same one went out again on Saturday - maybe as a protest against the MX-5 that I was looking at and have now bought.. :)

It is going in tomorrow to have the headlight replaced this time. Last time the LED came back on before I could get it booked in at the dealer.
I thought they would have replaced the headlight before, even though there was nothing for them to see. ... you should have demanded it.

At the end of the day, its probably more time you're going to have to take off work in order to go to the audi dealership... thats how I look at it. Did they refuse to replace it the first time round?

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought they would have replaced the headlight before, even though there was nothing for them to see. ... you should have demanded it.

At the end of the day, its probably more time you're going to have to take off work in order to go to the audi dealership... thats how I look at it. Did they refuse to replace it the first time round?
They didn't refuse at all - quite the opposite. I didn't have the lamp unit replaced last time as by the time the booking came around (I could only take it in on a Saturday), the LED had been working fine for a couple of weeks or more and I figured that rather than risk them breaking something that wasn't broke - or causing any damage, I would leave the original unit in.

This time however, I'm having the light replaced - even if the LED decides to start working again on the trip to the dealer tomorrow. :rolleyes:

As for taking time off work, I am taking this month off anyway and going off on holiday. I work as and when it suits me as an IT contractor and just finished my last job on Friday. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
On the LED subject, i've seen a good few A4s now with the LED daytime running lights. I'm actually starting to think they look better than the 5's... they look much sharper and the slight twist in the LED bar looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
On the LED subject, i've seen a good few A4s now with the LED daytime running lights. I'm actually starting to think they look better than the 5's... they look much sharper and the slight twist in the LED bar looks awesome.
Just an opinion:

Personally I think the way the LEDs in A4s are clearly inside the lamp fixtures (instead of on the edge of the lamp housings like in the A5) make them look more like a gimmick than something inherently built into the car like the LEDs on the A5 look like. I also think the "sharper" or smaller spacing of the LEDs in the A4 make them look less imposing, less strong... I think R8 is a better example of succesful twist in LEDs.

But out of A4, R8, A3 and the existing sport versions of A6... I personally think A5 has the best LEDs in the front. They create a very strong impression enhancing the wide, menacing look of the vehicle, very well integrated into the overall lines of the car. The A4 looks too much like someone just wanted to slap some LEDs inside the existing lamp housings. The LEDs on the A5 look more like part of the car as a whole, on the A4 they look just part of the lamp housings.

Of course the LEDs on the A4 are nevertheless a very cool feature too and something no A4 should be ordered without.

I just wish A4/A5 had LEDs in the back too!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
i need to admit i dont like the ones ive seen on the A4 so far. they seem a more yellow light rather than the blue/white of the A5 etc. look more like a row of sidelight bulbs rather than led's

·
Registered
423 Posts
i need to admit i dont like the ones ive seen on the A4 so far. they seem a more yellow light rather than the blue/white of the A5 etc. look more like a row of sidelight bulbs rather than led's
They were most likely not LEDs at all as the base model A4s have a line of about 4 yellowish side light bulbs towards the bottom of the headlight. They are DRLs but not LED.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
They were most likely not LEDs at all as the base model A4s have a line of about 4 yellowish side light bulbs towards the bottom of the headlight. They are DRLs but not LED.
Yeah, the LEDs only come with Xenons (like they do on the A5 as well, except Xenons are standard in some markets). I've also seen an A5 without LED DRLs, lost some of its appeal in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I have a full set of LEDs again. :D

My son says that they have definitely changed the nearside light unit (D'oh!) - as it no longer has any dust settled in the bottom of it, unlike the one on the other side :(.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My son says that they have definitely changed the nearside light unit (D'oh!) - as it no longer has any dust settled in the bottom of it, unlike the one on the other side :(.
Pah, who cares about a bit of dust when you've got a full set of teeth again :p

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
ah that will be why then ;) seen loads of A4's none with the LED's yet then :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting .... my DRL LED is still out on my nearside. Car going in for its first service in 1500 miles so I am waiting until then as I am still busy. Funny thing is ... people used to look at the lights and go 'wow', now they look at the lights and go 'its got a gap'...sigh..

·
Registered
714 Posts
Just an opinion:

Personally I think the way the LEDs in A4s are clearly inside the lamp fixtures (instead of on the edge of the lamp housings like in the A5) make them look more like a gimmick than something inherently built into the car like the LEDs on the A5 look like. I also think the "sharper" or smaller spacing of the LEDs in the A4 make them look less imposing, less strong... I think R8 is a better example of succesful twist in LEDs.

But out of A4, R8, A3 and the existing sport versions of A6... I personally think A5 has the best LEDs in the front. They create a very strong impression enhancing the wide, menacing look of the vehicle, very well integrated into the overall lines of the car. The A4 looks too much like someone just wanted to slap some LEDs inside the existing lamp housings. The LEDs on the A5 look more like part of the car as a whole, on the A4 they look just part of the lamp housings.

Of course the LEDs on the A4 are nevertheless a very cool feature too and something no A4 should be ordered without.

I just wish A4/A5 had LEDs in the back too!
+1 My thoughts exactly.

The LED DRLs on the A4 are only available with the S-line (at least in the UK).

I've also seen a couple of TTs today with a straight horizontal bar of LEDs under the headlight ... these must be aftermarket? They looked crap, whatever.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've also seen a couple of TTs today with a straight horizontal bar of LEDs under the headlight ... these must be aftermarket? They looked crap, whatever.
Not necessarily Tuff, the new TT-S has a line of LEDs below the headlight as standard. I saw a couple at Doncaster Audi the other day and they looked OK - for a hairdresser's car :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts