Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would point out an interesting observation regarding the LED daytime running lights and their interaction with the front amber turn signals on U.S. spec cars. When you use your turn signal, the LED daytime running light on the corresponding side turns off for the duration that the turn signal is on. I'm assuming this will apply to all U.S. spec A5/S5's since I noticed it on an S5 demo. (Note: I observed this during the day without the use of the headlights, so I'm not sure if the same thing occurs when the headlights are on.)

My guess is that the U.S. Dept. of Transportation has made it a requirement for U.S. spec A5/S5's to function this way in order to allow the amber light to be more visible. But, European spec A5/S5's don't seem to function the same way. I've seen a couple of videos and pics of European spec S5's where the LEDs remain on even when the turn signal is activated. (See below.) I wish the U.S. spec cars functioned that same way. :(

Anyone else noticed this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have noticed that the LEDs on the side of the indicator dim when activated. At least that what the reflection looks like from the cars in front.

Are you sure yours are going off or just dimming to a point you cannot notice them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Interesting. I'll have to run outside and check. If true, I guess I'll stop using the turn signal immediately ;)

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Isn't this completely stupid?

What about when the headlights are on? is the DoT going to require that they be turned off also?

What about Volvos? ... they have their headlights on at all times... do they have their lights off when the turn signal is engaged? - NO.

What I think is more significant is how cars in the US are using red lights as a turn signal (which can easilly be confused with brake lights). That alone is dangerous. And yet they define THIS as a issue?

Hmm...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have noticed that the LEDs on the side of the indicator dim when activated. At least that what the reflection looks like from the cars in front.

Are you sure yours are going off or just dimming to a point you cannot notice them.
My dealer was the one who told me they turn off. So, when we went on a test drive, I drove the car toward a glass building so that I could see for myself what the LEDs looked like while driving and while operating the turn signal. Based upon the reflection I saw in the glass, the LEDs appeared to be completely turned off when the turn signal was on. I suppose it's quite possible they dim to an extremely low level, but I certainly did not notice that if they do.

Quattrings, I'll be very curious to know what your findings are.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've just been outside and can confirm that the UK model dims the LED when indicating on that side.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Curious how the US spec behaves?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I also found out tonight that the side lights are dimmer than the daytime running lights (assuming you take the lights off auto and put them onto sidelights).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
My LEDs don't dim when I indicate :confused:
Ok, can we have a few more check this please. The differences suggest a fault or an issue and it would be interesting to see what others get so we can see who has the difference. If your profile doesnt say country, can you state what country you are as it may be country specific.

Here is what I get.

Daytime running lights are bright when running during the day.
The DRLs are dimmed if I take lights off auto and put it manually onto sidelights.
The DRLS are dimmed if headlights are on.
When indicating, during the day, the side of the indicator dims down but the other side remains bright.

I havent looked at night to see if they dim with headlights on under the auto setting. I will check tonight with auto and manual headlights to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, can we have a few more check this please. The differences suggest a fault or an issue and it would be interesting to see what others get so we can see who has the difference. If your profile doesnt say country, can you state what country you are as it may be country specific.

Here is what I get.

Daytime running lights are bright when running during the day.
The DRLs are dimmed if I take lights off auto and put it manually onto sidelights.
The DRLS are bright if light settting is on auto and headlights have come on.
When indicating, during the day, the side of the indicator dims down but the other side remains bright.

I havent looked at night to see if they dim with headlights on. I will check tonight with auto and manual headlights to see if there is a difference.
I get the same as you DD (which kind of makes sense as our cars must have been near to each other in the production line judging by our near order and delivery dates).

Can't check out night time performance for next 3 days, as car is in the garage being repaired (after only 2 days ownership!). :( http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4309&postcount=46

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
-> My daytime running lights dim when the "sidelight" setting is chosen.
-> They also dim when the headlights are on.
-> They are at full brightness when set to auto (with no headlights on)
-> They are at full brightness when lights are set to "off"
-> They DO NOT dim when the indicators are on.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The final verdict

OK, I now have the final verdict (at least for U.S. spec anyway) on the functioning of the DRLs with the front turn signals. Since nobody had yet responded with a definitive answer on how their U.S. spec'd S5 functions, I decided to drive down to my dealer today and take another look at the S5 demo. Following are my findings:

When headlights are off, DRLs are at full brightness
--> Under this scenario, when a turn signal is activated, the DRL on the corresponding side turns completely off

When headlights are on, DRLs are at about 50% brightness
--> Under this scenario, when a turn signal is activated, both DRLs remain on (at their same 50% brightness level)

·
Registered
39 Posts
im sure someone will eventually figure out a way to bypass this, either through the cars computer system or a headlight addon.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can understand a difference with different countries. However, I dont understand the difference within the same country (treating Scotland as same country as England ;) )

We have three different outcomes here to indicators. In the US they turn off and in the UK we have two that dim the DRLS and one that doesnt.

I wonder if this is a software configurable option within the engineers settings.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll check mine and report back. I wonder why the LEDs dim when on sidelights? I think they are bright enough and would like the rear lights to come on without dimming the LED's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My DTRs only dim when on sidelights or headlights and not during any other combination of manual/auto + indicators.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've checked mine.
LED's DEFINITELY dim when indicator is on
LED's dim when headlights on (either with Auto or manual)
I'm in North West UK - and car was manufactured in Sept.
Don't know if this helps or not.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Checked mine to be double sure before commenting ( I was convinced they only dimmed when my headlights were on) - and yup mine are as SBJ's / Rab88 - only time the DTRs dim is when the lights are on

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Checked mine to be double sure before commenting ( I was convinced they only dimmed when my headlights were on) - and yup mine are as SBJ's / Rab88 - only time the DTRs dim is when the lights are on
What week was your car built? Mine was week 32. I think maybe later weeks had the change???

1 - 20 of 47 Posts