Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First world problem here. Been an Audi girl for most of my driving life (A4, TT, A3, S4), but in 2019 bought a 2018 MB GLA45 AMG. It's a good car -- incredible on the freeway, love the pops it makes, hot hatch, not your grandma's ride, etc. It's crap in the city though. I do a lot of city driving on poor roads (Houston), and it is less than responsive off a stop sign unless your flooring it in sport mode. I do love how roomy it is with the hatchback, however.

So lately I've been making eyes at the 2014 S4 again (my husband drives it now). I stopped by a dealership and checked out the S5. I love the sportback functionality, similar to my GLA45. I'm considering selling the GLA45 and returning to my Audi roots. However, I thought I'd check in with all you experienced S5 folks and get your feedback.
  • Any opinion on a 2023 S5 versus a 2018 GLA 45 (21,000 miles) in terms of performance, drivability, comfort when you want it? Before I do something I can't undo.
  • Any opinion on the S5 in general? Our S4 is nearly 10 years old, and we've had to put about $4500 into it over the past two years in terms of brakes, cracked water pump, and other minor issues.
  • If I was going to build a S5 from scratch, based on this forum's recommendations, I'm thinking dynamic steering, sport package. For looks, I want the black optic package and Mystic Black exterior. Premium Plus.
  • Any other pros and cons you can share?
Appreciate everyone's feedback. It's a (hefty) investment...but also, I've been an Audi girl for a long time, so driving a MB makes me feel sheepish. Thanks!

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Difficult to compare these 2 cars to be honest, I would arrange a test ride cos the comparison is very very subjective. You godda drive a car to really understand if you want one or not I think. Enjoy!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SimonRoma for the feedback. I've test driven the S5 and I like it. It is more comfortable on roads with poor conditions, and of course you all know (better than me) how well it performs in terms of speed and responsiveness. Often I find that you only discover things about cars after having been in them for several days, weeks, etc. Things that annoy you, or you wish were different. Hard to see that in a couple test drives. I suppose I was looking for assurance about the performance of the S5.

It took me a while to figure out the MB's idiosyncrasies. It was a long shot if anyone here had experience with both vehicles. I do like my MB, just not sure it's for me over the long haul. Thanks!

· Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Mate if you can afford to have 2 cars then happy days!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts