Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my A5 for just over a month and the leather on the driver´s seat is starting to wear off. What is more, the part of the seat where the leather is deteriorating happens to be the area where the seat belt slides when you put it on. Do any of you have this same issue?

I have already taken it to the dealer. They showed me the demo (which has been driven for the past year without any care whatsoever) and the exact same part is COMPLETELY worn out…

Nonetheless, the people at the dealer deny this to be an issue. They still have taken a couple of pictures of my car´s seat and sent them to Germany. They will have a response soon, so I will be posting.

Anybody has this problem as well?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have a bit of wear where the colouring has worn off. I was thinking about it too as it shouldnt wear out like that.

·
Banned
34 Posts
I had the drivers seat replaced duu to the stitching coming out and whilst I was waiting a couple of weeks for the seat the side of the seat where I touch on the way to sitting down showed signs of scuffing, pointed it out and was told it wasn't an issue, it hasn't so far shown on the 'new' seat. IMO I think the 'free' leather is not of the best quality

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have had my A5 for just over a month and the leather on the driver´s seat is starting to wear off. What is more, the part of the seat where the leather is deteriorating happens to be the area where the seat belt slides when you put it on. Do any of you have this same issue?

I have already taken it to the dealer. They showed me the demo (which has been driven for the past year without any care whatsoever) and the exact same part is COMPLETELY worn out…

Nonetheless, the people at the dealer deny this to be an issue. They still have taken a couple of pictures of my car´s seat and sent them to Germany. They will have a response soon, so I will be posting.

Anybody has this problem as well?
pics?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Milano leather or valcona?
G

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It´s Milano leather. I have posted a sequence of 3 pictures so that you can see exactly where the scuff marks are, and how this problem might be related to the seat belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
I guess in cases like this it is better to have the black leather. Seems odd it would wear out so quickly though. My Mustang is 6 years old and shows almost no wear at all on the leather.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The dealer could easily argue that you may have been wearing jeans with metal studs and getting in and out caused the damage. I have various cars including Merc's and Range Rovers with the same problem.
I think you can buy some colour dye to match it. Not a fix but just a way to mask the damage. But try to persue the dealer more. Try a different dealer as well even it means travelling a bit out of town.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've just been out to my motor and tried to replicate the action where the seatbelt would cause this damage and I couldnt. Even when the seatbelt is pulled accross its at a lover level where it pulls against the main platic body of the seat and not the leather. There is actually a gap between the seat and the belt when its on.

This leaves me to think its more than likely caused by the action of getting in and out of the car. I think its unreasonable that this should be happening already and I would kick up a major fuss with the dealer. Even if its studs on jeans, the dealer doesnt need to know that..........just tell him you dont wear jeans and that you consider this wear is unnacceptable. Push for a new seat

G

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
That is exactly what has happened to mine and exactly in the same place. Daft thing is that it is not rubbing when you sit down and its too high for the seatbelt.

I will take mine in next week to see if its a warranty repair.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I've just been out to my motor and tried to replicate the action where the seatbelt would cause this damage and I couldnt. Even when the seatbelt is pulled accross its at a lover level where it pulls against the main platic body of the seat and not the leather. There is actually a gap between the seat and the belt when its on.
But does your car have the Sport seats like hajossy's (with the larger side bolsters)? If not, perhaps that could explain why you see a gap between the seat and the belt when it's on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the sports seats and I have noticed the wear on mine... I think it is where getting in and out of the vehicle, where you brush the seat.. I have the Valcona leather option... I might do to the dealer also...

·
Registered
55 Posts
i havent got my S5 yet but my dealer tried to sell me the one in the showroom after i ordered as he knew i was quite an impatient man.
well anyway it has only been there for 3 months and the leather was completely worn out on the same part. it wasnt milano but silk nappa leather.
according to the dealer it was because of ppl getting in and out of the car and they rub against the area. even so all the cars i own do not have that problem. even a 8yr old beemer...
i say its either badly designed seats or poor quality leather on audi's part. either way they have to fix it. i mean it cant be tt economical for them to replace tons of seats under warrantee anyway.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The leather wear problems described here are exactly why I have been making a conscious effort since Day 1 to not brush up against the side bolster on my S5 when entering/exiting. When I owned an A5 (with non-Sport seats), I didn't have to worry about brushing up against the side bolster because there really wasn't much of one, at least not as pronounced as those on the A5 Sport seats and the S5 seats.

·
Registered
298 Posts
But does your car have the Sport seats like hajossy's (with the larger side bolsters)? If not, perhaps that could explain why you see a gap between the seat and the belt when it's on.
Yep I've got the sports seats. The point i was trying to make its not a seatbelt problem...more re getting in and out and brushing against the side bolsters. Like you TX i'm trying my best to get in and out without brushing to hard against the bolsters.

G

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I just visited my dealer and they inspected it. They seem to think it is covered under warranty but I have to see the main warranty inspector next week (he wasnt in) and they will then do the necessary report and work.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just to update that my chair was inspected today and it is being repaired under warrenty. Once the replacement arrives.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called the dealer today, but they still don´t have an answer. They should have one by Thursday. Will post then.

Regarding the comments about the jean studs that could be rubbing against the seat bolsters, I doubt it. I rarely use jeans. It could be my belt´s leather causing some friction with the seat every time I sit down. Nonetheless, this is no excuse for the seat to show scuff marks this early, or throughout its life time for the matter.

It´s still hard for me to accept what the dealer told me, about this not being Audi´s fault. I told them that if they start explaining customers that these marks are the drivers fault, then their logic is way out of tune. You can´t tell a customer/driver that he is damaging his seats by sitting on them… According to this logic, they might as well tell us not to drive the cars... Who knows, we might blow our engines by driving around the block at 20mph, and we wouldn´t want something like that to happen, now would we?

I feel confident that my dealer will accept this seat change under warranty as well, and once that happens, I will try to be as careful as TXcarguy has always stressed. If they don´t accept my claim now that I know doubledoom got his way, I will surely give them hell…

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
This is a common problem on sports seats with big side bolsters. Thinking back to the old Audi Coupe's with check cloth seats they would shred in no time. Happened on my old RS Turbo, happened on my E46 M3, happened on my Aston. With the S5 I launch myself out of the car swinging on the sill so I don't put pressure on the bolster..no marks on my side. Sadly my better half isn't so careful and there is a small patch of wear on the passenger side which is being repaired on Friday.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It´s still hard for me to accept what the dealer told me
Yes. You are being fobbed off. Mine is in the same place, a little larger as I left it longer but it grows bigger.

My dealer was there and he was having a chat and he mentioned that they can wear and they had a TT in the showroom for sale that was about to get a similar repair on it. The warranty inspector looked at it and didnt have an issue with it. He said that I was not 20 stone and couldnt see how it could have occured in that short time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts