Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
09 A5 Coupe
My regulator failed and after some Googling I came to realise Audi wanted about £300 for the part, then another £300 to fit...I don't have £600 for a broken regulator.
I replaced it myself with a non-Audi part (search eBay UK for item number 172671728339) and overcame some initial problems with the fixing casting being different to the original. This I now understand is part of an Audi update, so if they'd have done it they'd insist on doing both sides....I most definitely don't have £1,200 for a broken regulator.
It took me an age to get the seal right at the top of the window so it doesn't leak (stupidly I threw away the failed Audi one I could have referred to before completing the job) but I did eventually. However, I have a very bad leak at front of the window where there isn't any adjustment. It doesn't seem to be where the glass is frameless, but water almost pours in to the door inner at the front where at the A pillar / door seal meet, just behind the mirror (it's difficult to say exactly where but please see pictures), am I missing something? I've read the update includes updated seals too, but I also read the seals don't need to be changed as the new regulator will work with the old ones, but could that be mine are just old?
Any help greatly appreciated, especially if it can come before the rain hits us again soon.
Ta

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Some ideas for you - check whether there is an adjustment screw on the front left hand side of your regulator. The Audi OEM version has this and you use an Allen key to adjust. If you don’t have this then try loosening the front bolt on the regulator - the one that is holding the glass, then lift up the glass by a few mm and re-tighten. This should close the gap that you have and stop the rain and wind entering.

If neither of these things work then I would strongly advise buying another Audi OEM regulator. Cheaper versions are a false economy I’m afraid. I used one recently and had to bin it and buy a proper one. The aftermarket kits are much poorer quality and are very stiff. They don’t adjust as well and may wind up burning out your window motor.

Let us know if you have any joy with any of the above.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just a thought, but afaik the windows aren't supposed to be completely water tight? That's why the door has drain holes at the bottom. If the speaker and internal trim was fitted and you don't have water coming into the car interior, maybe there isn't a problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some ideas for you - check whether there is an adjustment screw on the front left hand side of your regulator. The Audi OEM version has this and you use an Allen key to adjust. If you don’t have this then try loosening the front bolt on the regulator - the one that is holding the glass, then lift up the glass by a few mm and re-tighten. This should close the gap that you have and stop the rain and wind entering.

If neither of these things work then I would strongly advise buying another Audi OEM regulator. Cheaper versions are a false economy I’m afraid. I used one recently and had to bin it and buy a proper one. The aftermarket kits are much poorer quality and are very stiff. They don’t adjust as well and may wind up burning out your window motor.

Let us know if you have any joy with any of the above.
Thank you Kace.

The only adjustment I seem to have at the front is a vertical "lift" using a allen key to raise or lower the glass. I did use this to raise the glass higher to seal the glass at the top, under the roof lip, but to me it looks like the glass has to go horizontally "outwards", away from the interior if you like, to push it into the seal along the top of the door panel and by the A pillar.

I get the impression the Audi one is £300 or thereabouts, and I'm reluctant to pay that without being absolutely certain it will rectify my problem.

For anyone else reading this, DO NOT THROW AWAY YOU'RE OLD ONE UNTIL YOU HAVE YOUR NEW ONE COMPLETELY FITTED.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a thought, but afaik the windows aren't supposed to be completely water tight? That's why the door has drain holes at the bottom. If the speaker and internal trim was fitted and you don't have water coming into the car interior, maybe there isn't a problem?
Hi Paradyne

I think what I get is way more than what would be allowable, and that's just with a gentle garden hosing, under a jet wash it would be like a waterfall through the inside of the door. However perhaps I'm looking to get it too perfect. I might pop the trim off the other door to remind myself of what it was like originally.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ok if you are looking for the horizontal adjustment on the regulator, then this is an Allen key right into the centre of the top bolts. As well as the tightening nuts, the bolts also have this Allen key adjuster in the middle of the bolt. I can’t recall whether it is on one or both of the top bolts on the regulator. Check this out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
One question - is the water coming inside your car’s cabin, or is it just leaking down into the innards of the door itself?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Sorry to rub salt on the wound here also, but I just sent my old regulator to a guy in the UK on eBay and he performed a full refurb and sent it back to me within 48 hours for £60. This was after I shelled out on the aftermarket regulator and didn’t like the stiffness of it, so I removed and chucked that one instead.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Kace

Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I'm not getting alerts of replies?

Ok if you are looking for the horizontal adjustment on the regulator, then this is an Allen key right into the centre of the top bolts. As well as the tightening nuts, the bolts also have this Allen key adjuster in the middle of the bolt. I can’t recall whether it is on one or both of the top bolts on the regulator. Check this out.
I have this adjustment but only at the back of the door, nothing on the front part of the regulator which I believe is as the original(?)

One question - is the water coming inside your car’s cabin, or is it just leaking down into the innards of the door itself?
It wouldn't come into the cabin with the speaker and card back in place, but without those it's quite substantial (you can see on my pic), and it would ruin the speaker and card pretty quickly.

Sorry to rub salt on the wound here also, but I just sent my old regulator to a guy in the UK on eBay and he performed a full refurb and sent it back to me within 48 hours for £60. This was after I shelled out on the aftermarket regulator and didn’t like the stiffness of it, so I removed and chucked that one instead.
I realised this was an option, after binning the original

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, just an update if anyone comes across this with the same query.

Paradyne was correct (Ta :smile2:)

I bought a used original and fitted that but the issue remained, so I decided to remove the card from the other side and take a look. There was already water in the back of the speaker from testing, so it does just drain through the door, and without any protection for the speaker (I think that's what I found surprising).

Anyway, thank you all

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I have exactly the same issue with my 2009 Audi A5.

I've just sent an email to Audi;

"
Hi Audi,

I realise you guys must be super busy to I'll try to get precise.

Driver window stopped working with crunching sounds when window was raised and lowered, cables on the window regulator rusted and worn.
Window regulator replaced personally and now works fine.
Water test conducted and serious water leak observed on the inside of the door.
Thought it might be installed incorrectly or seals damaged.

Exactly there same problem as this guy had;

To problem solve I removed the panel from the passenger door and did the water test again, exactly the same issue, a lot of water leaking inside the door frame. The passenger window regulator is the default production model, no work has been completed on that door and it has the same leak.

This leak is causing the window regulators to rust and fail, and I can see the same issue starting on the passenger window regulator.

I'm not a fan of knowing there's a waterfall happening inside the car door so close to the speaker, other electronics and the window regulator cables.

So the question is; Is the door designed to allow water to travel inside the door frame or is this a window or seal fault?"

I'll let you know the response

·
Registered
2 Posts
Audi customer care have called me back and confirmed that only a very small amount of water (if any) should pass through the inside of the door, certainly not enough water to concern you about the electronics or damage the window regulators in any way, so garage it is then. FML.

I'll let you know what the garage says.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts