Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I'd be up for that, wonder if we could get some corporate support from Audi ???

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Good idea. Maybe Audi finance will extend the mileage on my lease, since i'll be going to support audi :D

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going as the A5 OC we could maybe push for something from Audi.

Andrew, u thought of trying to get some sort of sponsorship or somthing from Audi at all.....as we are quite a big community?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Nice one. Anyone got a clue on what we need to do to get this organised?

Depends what exactly we'd be looking for in terms of sponsorship. What would Audi UK be willing to offer? Free Audi UK Stickers? lol.

Or, erm... maybe pay for our fuel? :D

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I can see it now, Le mans stickers + A5OC.com stickers on a convoy of A/S5s.

That would be great.

On another note, i was looking up ticket prices there. Pit tickets are £120!

This could turn out to be a really good little road trip.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just checked the distance to drive there, from Glasgow its about 780 miles.

So for the spirited S5 driver 3 tanks of fuel there, and 3 back and maybe 1 more just in case so looking at £450 on fuel, probably £300 for TDi.

Not sure where I will be at that time of year, I could be in Scotland or I could be in London.

Euro tunnel is bout £100 return with car (includes all passengers), not sure about ferry, never checked.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've been to Le Mans many times - including the 24-heur Moto (April). I seriously don't think you will be able to find a hotel in or near Le Mans. They are all booked up a year in advance. Camping is an alternative. The main campsite is not for the faint-hearted! Audi and other manufacturers usually have some more civilised camping areas, as do some owners clubs, e.g. Porsche. While the Chunnel is very civilised, it's basically boring motorway all the way. I have always preferred the ferries from Portsmouth - a short over-nighter usually accompanied by an absolute hoot with like-minded people. The 150 mile drive from Le Havre (or wherever) takes in some really nice roads and quite a bit of 'sport' with the hordes of British & French decending on Le Mans.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.....While the Chunnel is very civilised, it's basically boring motorway all the way. I have always preferred the ferries from Portsmouth - a short over-nighter usually accompanied by an absolute hoot with like-minded people. ......
I8TQB4IP, what should we do then if we want to do this, seeing as you have past experience......and how should we go about organising this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aww our own little Gumball:) How about Audi paying for the tickets and whatever else they can manage in return for a caravan of A's and S's on tour....or even just a caravan to kip in lol. Hey Saj we'll get you a couple of UN stickers;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Saj
Visit www.beermountain.com - tells you everything you need to know. There are a few other advisory sites as well.

Assuming you would be camping, you can actually do it without any pre-booking, i.e. turn up at the channel tunnel, wait for a slot - ge to Le Mans & drive around until you find a campsite. But, with this approach you need to get to Le Mans at least 24 hours (best 48 hours) before the race starts. If you want to arrive the evening before or on the day, pre-booking is essential.

If you want to be anywhere near the grandstand you have to get tickets and be there well in advance of the race. Worth it for the pre-race antics!

When choosing a campsite you have to consider how close it is to the circuit: close = walkable, can pop back for a kip, chaotic; further away = driving, harder to pop back, more peaceful. Remember, it's a long event & you will need some sleep.

There's always a lot going on at night / early morning, e.g. a semi-big band. Almost everyone who stays in the circuit during the night gets wasted. Most of it is good humoured - walk away from anything that's not - the French and the English don't always see eye-to-eye.

It goes without saying that the traffic on the way in and out is hectic - so make allowances in your travel plans. In the past, the French police were lax about driving antics, but they've started to clamp down. Speed traps in all approach roads, frequent 'pull-overs' to check for drunk drivers. On the latter point, if you need to drive to/from a campsite, make sure the driver doesn't drink. The French can be brutal - instant jail and vehicle confiscated.

The first time there can be a bit daunting, but it's well worth it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hello all
new to this forum and its great:) :)
but not new to le mans:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
its a fantastic trip,sunshine {we hope} beer ,racing,and a great drive down

i have been 4 times would love to go again pls keep me informed
get my s5 in april i hope

1 - 20 of 55 Posts