Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

i am quite an experienced performance car driver, having owned several highly modified cars/trucks in manual transmission and automatic.

Being a new owner of the Audi A5 (2L TFSI 211hp, 350nm of torque with a S-tronic 7speed double clutch gearbox). which was chipped and making about 240-250hp and 400+nm of torque.

problem here is, unlike manuals where you can rev the engine to desired RPM and smoothly but quickly releasing the clutch to get a good launch (or sometimes using the handbrake to keep some load while launching), and automatics which allow you to keep your right foot on the gass bringing up the rpm while your left foot is lightly on the brakes to keep load and than launch,

the S-tronic A5 simply does not allow this. i have tried quite hard to keep my foot 100% on the throttle with minute pressure on the brakes with no result. it just bogs down to near idle speed not enabling you to use the 4wd famous traction to launch the car. traction control was off as well, manual/S mode was active and was set for 1st gear, still no result.

so the question here is, how do you guys launch yours?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Hello,

i am quite an experienced performance car driver, having owned several highly modified cars/trucks in manual transmission and automatic.

Being a new owner of the Audi A5 (2L TFSI 211hp, 350nm of torque with a S-tronic 7speed double clutch gearbox). which was chipped and making about 240-250hp and 400+nm of torque.

problem here is, unlike manuals where you can rev the engine to desired RPM and smoothly but quickly releasing the clutch to get a good launch (or sometimes using the handbrake to keep some load while launching), and automatics which allow you to keep your right foot on the gass bringing up the rpm while your left foot is lightly on the brakes to keep load and than launch,

the S-tronic A5 simply does not allow this. i have tried quite hard to keep my foot 100% on the throttle with minute pressure on the brakes with no result. it just bogs down to near idle speed not enabling you to use the 4wd famous traction to launch the car. traction control was off as well, manual/S mode was active and was set for 1st gear, still no result.

so the question here is, how do you guys launch yours?
Can only speak for the 3.0 tdi, but ESP must be turned off (hold the traction button about 5-10 secs), engine must be warm and gots press the brake hard, then it goes to 2800rpm, no drag and you are good to launch. However had to get a specific software update done at the dealers to enable it. Please to a search on launch control and you'll see the info required. Good luck with it, hope it works on the 2.0 as well.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Hi monster - I posted about this a while ago here. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on that thread if you've got experience with the subject matter :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Gents,

DONE! and it performs sweettttttttttt.

Procedure:
1). Foot on the brake,
2). Start the car,
3). Foot on the brake, hold down T/C until both settings are turned off.
4). Hit drive select into dynamic mode.
5). Allow engine to warm up
6). slide the gear into tiptronic mode or s-mode
7). With your left foot hold down the brake
8). Full throttle with your right foot while your left foot in the brake.
9). RPM build up to 4000-4250rpm....

Release your left foot off the brake and launchhhhhhh

so now i can confirm that the S-tronic 2012-2012 model (new face lift) 2L TFSI has launch control!

note, my A5 is also chipped with Swiss IC tuning....

note, when T/C and stability control is turned off, the car is more willing to spin the tires. during the same settings as done with the launch control, if you take your car into a tight bend or U-Turn you can easily 4wd drift the car!

excellent stuff!

about the loud bang some people has talked about, i only experienced kick in your ass bang when the transmission changed from 1st gear to second gear!

strange enough, most people claim they can only build up the rpm to 3000rpm when launching, so something on new version or chipped car enables you to launch at over 1000rpm more than previous stated by others!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OXBOW, actually from my readings this is with the 2L TFSI.

yes i can understand if it was diesel, actually if it was diesel 3000rpm launch would be way to high in terms of rpm. perhaps 2000-2500rpm is ideal for a diesel that does not rev more than 5000rpm :)

i have a 500hp 1000nm 3.2L 4cyl turbo diesel, if i launch it anywhere near 3000rpm all hell brakes loose and i just keep fish tailing like no tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Guys, i just cant to launch control.
i got a a5 2.0tfsi quattro automatic 2011.

How can i understand if i have it or not?

Can i retrofit?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have had my car tuned and I can rev round to 5 grand when stationary ;) 3.0tdi manual

·
Registered
4,488 Posts

·
Sponsor
2,383 Posts
Tiptronic diesels cannot rev past 2.5k in neutral.
S-Tronic petrol/diesel can have launch control, though not all come with it.
Anything but s-tronic doesn't have launch control.
Simple

1 - 11 of 11 Posts