Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s an interesting video of a guy who’s tuned his RS and loves to try to get the maximum boost at launch.
What happened is he broke the front diff.
It’s a costly one for him equating to £13k but his mechanic sourced a second hand gearbox.
An educating watch.

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
210 Posts
Interesting video. I guess it's a lesson around the use of launch control and being sensible...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I noticed was the mechanic says that when you hold your foot on the brake if the B9 600ft/p of torque is stressing the driveshaft and bearings. But with the dual clutch setup of the B8/8.5 there is zero stress on the same parts.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Probably why they dont do an official 'launch control' on the torque convertor cars

·
Registered
2015 S5 Coupe
210 Posts
What I noticed was the mechanic says that when you hold your foot on the brake if the B9 600ft/p of torque is stressing the driveshaft and bearings. But with the dual clutch setup of the B8/8.5 there is zero stress on the same parts.
Yes I did hear that. Why does the B9 RS5 not have the dual clutch setup?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tony,

The B9 ones have Torq Converters I believe. I’ll do a little more research on that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Watched it few days ago and it was surprising that it broke, but giving the amount of stress that you're putting on the parts its not surprising, the fix cost him only tenth of the 13k, but it's probably cause he is involved with the guys at the garage and they're giving him a bit of discount:)

Reactions: MrFergus

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yes I did hear that. Why does the B9 RS5 not have the dual clutch setup?
The s-tronic would be on its limits with the amount of torque the b9 makes and only a torque converter can handle it.
Maybe the diffs are also on their limit too but his Rs5 is tuned and he's always launching it so it's no surprise to me that something broke.
Gutted for him though as its an awesome car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts