Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time since I have visited here, so hello. :)

I had an email from Audi the other week and in it was an animated picture of an A5 Cab in the process of lowering its roof. I noticed they seem to have reverted to the old A4 Cab style of storage box lid operation! Is this the case? If so can you still operate the roof while moving? My A5 Cab the roof opened like a spoiler (for want of a better description). The A4 Cab hindged at the rear and opened from horizontal to vertical.

Just curious...

Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have one, and had the previous B8.5 one too.

The new one works fine while driving, up to 31mph. It is also one touch operation as long as you are above a few mph. The new design is simpler and quieter without the 'clunk' when it reaches the fully open position.

Also the storage box inside the boot is now motorised and also quieter without the loud thunk when it lowers. It will put itself back where you left it after you close the roof as well.

When the rear cover is open, everything is neater with black plastic covering most of the exposed silver metalwork that you could see on the B8.5.

The hydraulic pump is now under the spare wheel inside of in the side compartment, which muffles the sound of it much more.

So to summarise, they have improved every single aspect of it :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess that makes the SmartTop module redundant now then. My old A5 Cab you had to hold the button to operate the roof. I fitted the SmartTop module to make it one touch. :)

The email did make me think about returning to an A5 Cab, but I then remembered the effort keeping the roof clean! :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd still like to know the logic of not allowing single-touch operation while the car is stationary, you still have to hold the damn switch during the entire operation.
This time could better be used to use both hands to attach your seatbelt, put on your sunglasses, affix your hat, pick your nose, turn off the Auto-engine-stop, etc. Is there some obscure safety/legal reason for not allowing this?

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's not that obscure. If it is opening while stationary there is a greater risk the people (children) outside the car might stick a hand or arm into the mechanism. If you are moving that's not going to happen. The way they've done it, it's up to the person holding the switch to pay attention to what is going on around the car and their responsibility if they cause injury.

I wish it was fully automatic though, with sensors to do that job while I got on with picking my nose etc. Generally I'll just pull the switch after driving off though, it takes less than 20 seconds so I won't usually have reached roads where I'd be going faster than 30.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts