Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see last nights (UK) Top Gear where they had to race from Switzerland to Blackpool and only do it on one tank of fuel? Both the Jag and the VW stated 0 miles left in their tanks by the time they got there but upon further investigation after the race it turned out that the Jag had around another 120 miles left before it was completely empty?! :eek:

This got me thinking, how close has anyone got to getting to 0 on there A5 computer before filling up and has anyone ever gone past it, and if so, for how many miles? IF the A5 is like the Jag then technically we could all be getting 550+ miles to the tank instead of the usual 400-450? :D

The lowest I've ever personally got the computer to is 10 miles left and even then I was bricking it that the computer might be wrong and I'd run out of diesel before I got to the Station! :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Try owning an S5, the guage is always on zero !! Have had to use Sat Nav to divert to the nearest filling station a few times now and its been touch and go whether we made it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I got to Zero... and the petrol station i pulled up at had credit card problems so would only take Cash :eek:

I drove another 3.5 Miles.... NEVER AGAIN, the Wife was a nervous wreck :D

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Try owning an S5, the guage is always on zero !! Have had to use Sat Nav to divert to the nearest filling station a few times now and its been touch and go whether we made it.
That's what finally peruaded me the 3.0TDi Quattro was the way to go . 2100 miles average mpg 39.2. Regularly see mid 40's on a run. + 5.? seconds to 62 mph... :eek: Only on my 4th fill up too!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I got to Zero... and the petrol station i pulled up at had credit card problems so would only take Cash :eek:

I drove another 3.5 Miles.... NEVER AGAIN, the Wife was a nervous wreck :D
Hahaha would have loved to see that.

Lowest I ever got to was 5m, I was coasting most of the way to work that day.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
one morning i needed fuel so went via my local station on the way to work, i had 5miles left in tank and station was a mile away. got there no diesel i was bricking it.... as the next station was over 5miles away.... ummm oh shit late for work and no fuel so i went on detour which is out of my way for work.... guess what no bloody diesel bricking big style so headed to the next station half a mile away.... by this point i was on zero and i was glad there was diesel but ill tell you something unless i had a car behind me with a wee tank to fill up just in case i wouldnt be doing this again....... its just cause i left my bag at home that day and had no cash on me!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Most vehicles are like that. My GTO went an additional 50 miles after saying 0 miles left. My Expedtion was the same way. It would say 0 but, when I filled up my tank it only took 23 gallons to fill it up (25 gallon tank). I guess it is a way of helping prevent actually running out of fuel.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got home from work one night and as I pulled up it said zero miles. Not a problem as petrol station is just round the corner (Motorway Services), so I thought I'd just fill up on way to work in the morning.

Half asleep the next morning got in the car and got to the services, only to completely forget and drove down the slip road on to the motorway!! :eek:

The next junction was about 4 miles away so I did 58 mph all the way - luckily there's a Sainsbury's not far from that and made it - just - must have been on fumes though ;)

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
ive driven a good 10miles after reaching zero. and still some left in the tank i would think

·
Registered
549 Posts
I will get another 20-25km (12.4-15.5 mi) after reaching zero.

What's the most fuel anyone's put in their tank? I've put 65 litres into my 64 litre tank!

·
Registered
123 Posts
The A5 has two fuel pumps. I wonder if running it till it's dry will hurt the first pump to the point of needing replacement?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I used to drive a company Avensis and was told that you could go about 50 miles when it reached zero - i had to try it once after forgetting to fill up and being on the M25, went 35 miles and filled up but still had a couple of gallons judging from the fill.

Although whilst waiting for the A5, had a Peugeot 308, used the same principle, went 3 miles and ran out of Diesel.

·
Registered
714 Posts
You actually ran the car out of fuel completely and on purpose? I thought that caused them to backfire, destroy the cat etc.

I'm not doubting you, it just seems rather ... erm ... brave (I'm using the word in the military sense e.g. "charge of the light brigade", "zulu", "colonel h jones" etc)

·
Registered
138 Posts
i wouldnt say brave lol, at the end of the day its under warrenty!! And would it cause damage? I also remeber a top gear last year were they put only a gallon of fuel in four top cars including a audi r8 and raced them at speed until they ran out to see what mileage they got.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cheers grantshell nice to know i can run to 0 and be safe for a few more miles.

Any news on your remap grantshel? I was scheduled todo mine tommorow but Im unable to make it now, asked Ed if he knew anything about why your remap didnt work but he's not had this issue. Busy the following weekend so looking todo it on the 14/15th if you fancy popping to APS to see what its like after the map then your more than welcome to have a go in my car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cheers grantshell nice to know i can run to 0 and be safe for a few more miles.

Any news on your remap grantshel? I was scheduled todo mine tommorow but Im unable to make it now, asked Ed if he knew anything about why your remap didnt work but he's not had this issue. Busy the following weekend so looking todo it on the 14/15th if you fancy popping to APS to see what its like after the map then your more than welcome to have a go in my car.
I will have broke for crimbo by then so maybe. I will call sanspeed today to see if they have any news

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
broke for crimbo !!? I dont finish untill 23rd and even then I'll be pestered with things im sure. Anyway let me know if you can make either of those dates and let me know what sanspeed have to say.

·
Registered
138 Posts
broke for crimbo !!? I dont finish untill 23rd and even then I'll be pestered with things im sure. Anyway let me know if you can make either of those dates and let me know what sanspeed have to say.
Own boss, own rules!!!! lol. Spoke to sanspeed and will be paying then a visit on tuesday, not for the remap but hopefully for the plug and play box!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts