Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a Finnish forum an A5 owner tried today to enable the lap timer in an A5 with VAG COM and it worked. Apparently a new screen is added which can be browsed with the reset button (in the window washer lever), this screen has two modes: current/previous lap times and a summary screen with best, worst and average lap times plus number of laps. You control the measurements and these screens with the trip computer buttons (up, down and reset) in the window washer lever.

The codes via this thread or the link in my signature:

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/interesting-vag-com-3442/index.html

Thanks to Ross-Tech for enabling this in their latest VCDS data files! See ross-tech.com for the downloads.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's probably the coolest thing I've seen yet on this car.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Man! I'm really going to have to get a VAG COM now... I haven't used my turn signals in two months.

On second thought... That display is not in red only like mine. I wonder if we can make that change in the US.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Considering that TTS seems to do a similar laptimer with a single-colour screen I think it is at least very possible this would work just fine with the single colour (or red/yellow to be exact) driver info screen too.

Ross-Tech, who discovered and updated their software with this, is also based in the U.S., so I'm sure this works with U.S. cars as well (unless the screen is a limiting factor or some software versions in older cars or something, but I doubt the country is an issue).

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If, however you have an accident at any time and this function is 'active' then your insurance is instantly invalid... See the clause on 'time trials' in your insurance doct!

...I know this is unlikely, but it's worth noting... It's the first thing the police check for at the Nurburgring... any active timing device in the vehicle and they contact the insurance company, impounding the car and prosecuting if you have invalid insurance. Ouch!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Heading out to enable this now!!

Makes ya wonder what else is electronically available on these cars now!!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yay.... Mines been enabled at the Norfolk Meet today by doubledoom - Cheers Buddy :D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I activated it today,another great free mod.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad you guys like it, we are still working on getting more information so over time we will add more options to the long coding helper.

Considering that TTS seems to do a similar laptimer with a single-colour screen I think it is at least very possible this would work just fine with the single colour (or red/yellow to be exact) driver info screen too.
Depends on which cluster is installed in the car, in general there might be a chance but it works definitly different than on the A4/A5 (B8).

Ross-Tech, who discovered and updated their software with this, is also based in the U.S., so I'm sure this works with U.S. cars as well (unless the screen is a limiting factor or some software versions in older cars or something, but I doubt the country is an issue).
The above picture was taken from our US A5 3.2l FSI, yes it shows Kilometers but thats do to us having too many drivers who are not used to counting distances in Miles... :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
WOW! the insurance co.'s in the UK are very sensitive!! Sorry to hear that.

It is a cool feature, I'd probably never use it either.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Never heard of such insurance related problems and I am having a hard time with this concept in general... Got any document which explicitly says and covers that?
YEP... Insurance policy document and schedule/certificate...

All EXPLICITLY state that the policy does NOT cover time-trials, racing or competition use... so did every insurance policy I've ever had in 22 years of driving.

If you even take part in a 'car rally' to get the answers to clues or a navigational scatter that has a 'first one back' rule, your insurance is invalid.

...of course, you can be timing how long it takes, rather than doing a time-trial, but it's just another way the insurance companies will find NOT to pay out or provide any cover.

It's still a neat function and I'd use it! But just a cautionary note to switch it off if you crash or are pulled-over!

:D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Waste of time. Sorry. If it works like the Sport Chrono function in the 911 it's an absolute waste of time. You cannot get accurate readings of lap times and so it's worthless as a tool to improve your track performance. You would be far better if you're going to track it to get a proper dedicated lap timer and set that up at the start-finish line. Add a camera mount in car and film the lap to know where you;re getting it right and wrong.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Waste of time. Sorry. If it works like the Sport Chrono function in the 911 it's an absolute waste of time. You cannot get accurate readings of lap times and so it's worthless as a tool to improve your track performance. You would be far better if you're going to track it to get a proper dedicated lap timer and set that up at the start-finish line. Add a camera mount in car and film the lap to know where you;re getting it right and wrong.
True Yes, But the Lap Timer is Free :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Audi have been scratching their heads all day trying to find out how to enable this code for me on their pc, just sent over the ross-tech codes and details but may have to wait for a meet for this one!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Laptimer is a let down. You can see why they left it off.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Audi have been scratching their heads all day trying to find out how to enable this code for me on their pc, just sent over the ross-tech codes and details but may have to wait for a meet for this one!
What exactly is the problem? VAGCOM/VCDS can be used to make the change very easily, in a matter of seconds. If you find yourself in Bromley Kent area and want it done, just PM me.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lap timer can be useful in measuring how long some trip or leg of trip takes. There are more uses than just "lap" timing, which I agree is inaccurate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts