Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that this is all that important but some may consider chip upgrade to get a few more hp and remove the speed limiter. From the speed limiter side I got a little carried away coming back from Minneapolis today and going into a brisk headwind car topped out at 163 mph with a few rpms to go so probably would do 165-170mph with less wind limitation. Seemed to handle nicely around a mild or modest curve or two at these speeds. Noticeable wind howling over sunroof above 120mph or so. Pulled up to these speeds with relative ease and smoothly. Won't be doing it again for awhile out of fear of the law and, well, my wife was none too happy with me either. So at least on my car there seems to be no speed limiter at all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
...The Wife???!!!!

Either:
A) You did it with her in the car :eek:
or
B) You told her :eek: :eek:

You are more crazy doing either of those than driving that fast...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...The Wife???!!!!

Either:
A) You did it with her in the car :eek:
or
B) You told her :eek: :eek:

You are more crazy doing either of those than driving that fast...
I did neither, she overheard me discussing it with my oldest son. She would have severely distracted me with her screaming if she had been with. My partner from the office who was with me was a little stunned by the sudden impulse of the moment. I just needed to know and now I do and won't need to do it again. It was a bit exhilarating to be honest(and stupid):D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I did neither, she overheard me discussing it with my oldest son. She would have severely distracted me with her screaming if she had been with. My partner from the office who was with me was a little stunned by the sudden impulse of the moment. I just needed to know and now I do and won't need to do it again. It was a bit exhilarating to be honest(and stupid):D
I think we all do that once. But now that you have done it, I won't need to.

...yeah right! ;)

:)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I think we all do that once. But now that you have done it, I won't need to.

...yeah right! ;)

:)
Yes, of course M'Lud, I never did this in my old S4, say about a month after I got it, and I have no idea whether there is actually a 155mph speed limiter fitted that would, say, cut the rpm at around 6700rpm with 166 indicated at the time...

D'Oh!

Don't think I'll do it in my A5 though - I scared myself stupid doing it in the S4. Of course I'm not saying I did it on a public road in the UK, there are other options for going that quick when you live this close to all those lovely German Autobahns! :D

BTW, as my S4 over-read by around 10mph at the top end, I would expect the S5 to do so as well. My A5 speedo needle reads 1-2mph more than the digital readout in the DIS display, which is also consistently 1-2 mph more than my Road Angel. I wonder which one is right? Is the speed in the DIS fed from the Satnav or from the speedo cable (presumably connected to the wheels/gearbox)?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
:eek: Respect for your Boomer !!! Don't you have a 55 limit over there ??? Are US MPH figures the sames as UK ??? Maybe thats a dumb question but I thought US mile was different to ours for some reason ????

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Best way to check properly is using a GPS device to tell you the speed, The faster you go in the car the more error there usually is in the speedo. Usually at the top end it would be out by about 5 - 6 mph.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
You can get errors of up to 10% with any speedometer. They're manufactured to never UNDER READ either, unless you change the wheel size.

It's not uncommon for a speed limiter to "forget" to kick in. Happens with quite a lot of cars which are electronically limited.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Boomer funny story about the wife!:) I just told my wife about the speed of the car.....shes fine with it as long as my life insurance policies are up to date:rolleyes:

I have two teenage sons who are as anxious as I am to take delivery;)

I love this car!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:eek: Respect for your Boomer !!! Don't you have a 55 limit over there ??? Are US MPH figures the sames as UK ??? Maybe thats a dumb question but I thought US mile was different to ours for some reason ????
Not a dumb question at all since I don't know either. I know I looked twice at 160-165mph confirmed to be at about 270 kph on the speedometer dial. Maybe could have pushed a bit further but lost a little nerve about getting picked up at those speeds.:eek:

Forgot to answer the S5 speedlimiter question--supposedly 135mph in USA but either they forgot to program it or as RAB88 said it didn't kick in. All of my other cars that I "tested" did have the speedlimiter kick in at 135 mph range so I was surprised (pleasantly).

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, of course M'Lud, I never did this in my old S4, say about a month after I got it, and I have no idea whether there is actually a 155mph speed limiter fitted that would, say, cut the rpm at around 6700rpm with 166 indicated at the time...

D'Oh!

Don't think I'll do it in my A5 though - I scared myself stupid doing it in the S4. Of course I'm not saying I did it on a public road in the UK, there are other options for going that quick when you live this close to all those lovely German Autobahns! :D
BTW, as my S4 over-read by around 10mph at the top end, I would expect the S5 to do so as well. My A5 speedo needle reads 1-2mph more than the digital readout in the DIS display, which is also consistently 1-2 mph more than my Road Angel. I wonder which one is right? Is the speed in the DIS fed from the Satnav or from the speedo cable (presumably connected to the wheels/gearbox)?
I am bit remorseful today (only a bit) about my antics yesterday. I suspect my partner's wife not too thrilled with me risking her bread and butter winner's well being; it was a public 4 lane road with wide grassy median which is generally quite unwise to use but in this part of Iowa the terrain is so flat that I could see ahead more than a mile with the gentle curves, newer road surface so in excellent shape, no access roads, no traffic ahead or coming my way for as far as I could see, overcast skies with low clouds limiting any likelihood of air highway patrol, a slight challenge to being the speediest on the road, and I guess all of this clicked a subconscious impulse switch and before I knew it is was happening and then done as once I saw traffic coming well in the distance I got a bit nervous about law enforcement issues so I backed off to my cruising speed of 85 mph for the rest of the trip. Certainly not advocating that there was any wisdom in my impulsiveness but I just "needed" to "know".:eek:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good on you Boomer.It sounds like you were driving quite sensibly at 163 mph!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Another confirmation of no limiter =)

You know what's funny, most of us tend to stop at 160-167 without reaching the limit of the engine rpms. Just seems like a coincidence.

Agreed, I've only done it once, and won't do it again, just had to make sure MY S5 could do it. haha

I did get caught and arrested at 135mph in my e36 M3 last year, so no more speeding in public. Damn these cars are way too smooth... the S5 at 167 felt like only going 90 mph.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No, we use the same miles as you. And the same hours. So MPH is the same here and there. We do use a different gallon, however, so our MPG ratings are different. (Our gallon is smaller).

And we haven't had a national speed limit of 55 for a long time. The federal law was repealed in 1995, but it had been swiss-cheesed by exceptions well before that. Currently, states are free to choose their own speed limits. Most eastern states (the densely populated ones) have limits around 65 mph on the interstates (analogous to your motorways). As you move west, and the states get bigger and less densely populated, 70 and 75 are more common limits.

Non-interstate, major highways (like your A-roads) are usually 55-70, depending on how far from an urban center you are.

A great description of US Speed limits, with a color-coded map, is here at this Wikipedia article.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Boomer,

Where in Iowa do you live? I assume Des Moines. What highway did you pull off your cannon ball run on? I am going to be in your area in a couple weeks and if you want to try it again we can hook up and provides some spotting and buy some airplane fuel.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Boomer,

Where in Iowa do you live? I assume Des Moines. What highway did you pull off your cannon ball run on? I am going to be in your area in a couple weeks and if you want to try it again we can hook up and provides some spotting and buy some airplane fuel.
I live in eastern Iowa actually and the run was on the "Avenue of the Saints" (connects St Paul Minnesota to St. Louis Missouri between I 35 south and I 380)North of Waverly Iowa--nice newer 4-lane road with relatively low traffic (none when I made my run). If you are in eastern Iowa anytime I would love to hook up--Interstate 380 north towards Waterloo with spotters would work well also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts