Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its KW coilover time people...

Anybody had good experiences ordering that they wish to share? Also, I'm looking for the best price since I'm doing wheels as well soon... Idears?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Talk to Peter @ wheel experts. His prices are fair and he can do your wheels too. Which wheels are you going for?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Its KW coilover time people...

Anybody had good experiences ordering that they wish to share? Also, I'm looking for the best price since I'm doing wheels as well soon... Idears?
You going with the V1's or V2's?
You installing yourself?
What you thinking for wheels?

You are my guinea pig as I am getting close to doing KW coilovers myself. Just wish I could get a number on the min drop in the back but have yet to find it. Front no biggee I know there is tons of adjustment but if the back is too low even on the highest setting that forces you to drop the front too much to match and get the car to sit right. Spacers and bigger wheels will mitigate the look somewhat in the back of being too low.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You going with the V1's or V2's?
You installing yourself?
What you thinking for wheels?

You are my guinea pig as I am getting close to doing KW coilovers myself. Just wish I could get a number on the min drop in the back but have yet to find it. Front no biggee I know there is tons of adjustment but if the back is too low even on the highest setting that forces you to drop the front too much to match and get the car to sit right. Spacers and bigger wheels will mitigate the look somewhat in the back of being too low.
For everybody on this forum:

KW V1's are now shipping so if you are interested in V1's now is the time.. V2's are of course available and not on back order..

I will probably do V1's as I probably wouldn't need to change the dampening.. Reminder, unless you are in Britain or whereever I see those guys post comments on how bad their "backroads" are, you probably won't be adjusting this much (typical person.) I've ridden motorcross and have quite a bit of experience with shocks and dampening and rebound.. While motorcycles and race quads aren't exactly cars, the same principles apply for aftermarket suspension systems. Seriously, compression and even dampening setting (both) on the V3 probably won't come into play unless are have various reverse roll and pitch on tracks with S curves etc.. V2's do allow you to tweak the dampening and this could actually be used if you live on the streets of Houston or Oklahoma (for example, I should know) where the roads are incredibly crappy..

V1's should give me an increase in ride comfort over stock which already is PERFECTLY FINE.. PERIOD.. Coilovers give me the drop I want while at minimum improving the ride quality I expect out of a GT car. I really wouldn't change the ride quality if I wasn't so dang hooked on a drop...

I'm carefully considering letting the dealer do my install since they will have more knowledge on camber setting and can fine tune and tweak.. However, I'm gaining more knowledge and I might do this myself. Honestly, if you have the money, have it done by a pro in effort to 1) save time and 2) security just in case you want to tweak it without buying your own lift.... We should expect good after the sale service people! No matter where you go ;)

My wheel selection is a secret LOL just for fun and I will be revealing my selection and a full write up on my increasingly modified DSB S5. Should look great.. No Asanti's going on my ride my hommies... :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talk to Peter @ wheel experts. His prices are fair and he can do your wheels too. Which wheels are you going for?
HRE a definitely possibility but dang they are pricey...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Just wish I could get a number on the min drop in the back but have yet to find it.
I've got the answer you've been seeking! Just had my rears raised again last Saturday. The rear is now sitting at 26.25" from fender edge to the ground. Found out from my installer that this is the highest I can go before things become unsafe. In other words, the threads that the height adjustment collar go over are now right in the middle of the collar. So, anything higher would be considered unsafe since there wouldn't be a sufficient amount of threads for the height adjustment collar to grab on to.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've got the answer you've been seeking! Just had my rears raised again last Saturday. The rear is now sitting at 26.25" from fender edge to the ground. Found out from my installer that this is the highest I can go before things become unsafe. In other words, the threads that the height adjustment collar go over are now right in the middle of the collar. So, anything higher would be considered unsafe since there wouldn't be a sufficient amount of threads for the height adjustment collar to grab on to.
The question is: how does that compare to stock (for those whoe don't know the stock fender height)?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I measured my car on what I think was relatively level ground prior to installing my KWV2's. The back measured out to 27.5" and the front was 27.75". These measurements were from the ground to the lip of the fender at the center of the wheel arch. So, I suppose the Kw's minimum drop in the back is 1.25".

One caveat to this is that my car had roughly 400 miles on it when I installed the Kw's. It is possible that the OE springs hadn't quite settled yet.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I measured my car on what I think was relatively level ground prior to installing my KWV2's. The back measured out to 27.5" and the front was 27.75". These measurements were from the ground to the lip of the fender at the center of the wheel arch. So, I suppose the Kw's minimum drop in the back is 1.25".

One caveat to this is that my car had roughly 400 miles on it when I installed the Kw's. It is possible that the OE springs hadn't quite settled yet.
But as far as settling goes, I'm sure they could have settled to more than about .25".. ?

·
Registered
432 Posts
But as far as settling goes, I'm sure they could have settled to more than about .25".. ?
I'm not sure that I understand your comment/question. I think you are saying: is it possible the Tx's car settled by .25" when the intial drop was only 1"? I think that is quite possible, but everyone's car is going to settle at some point. Thus, when determining the minimum drop, everyone has to account for the settling.

Also, I was thinking this morning about my measurements. I failed to mention that these measurements were taken with my aftermarket wheels/tires. The OD on these tires is 26.5" which is 0.5" larger than stock. So, you should subtract 0.25" from my measurements to get an idea of the stock height. If you account for this, then it looks like the minimum drop using the KW's is 1".

Would someone confirm my measurements? All we need is a good front/rear measurement from a car at stock ride height.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not sure that I understand your comment/question. I think you are saying: is it possible the Tx's car settled by .25" when the intial drop was only 1"? I think that is quite possible, but everyone's car is going to settle at some point. Thus, when determining the minimum drop, everyone has to account for the settling.

Also, I was thinking this morning about my measurements. I failed to mention that these measurements were taken with my aftermarket wheels/tires. The OD on these tires is 26.5" which is 0.5" larger than stock. So, you should subtract 0.25" from my measurements to get an idea of the stock height. If you account for this, then it looks like the minimum drop using the KW's is 1".

Would someone confirm my measurements? All we need is a good front/rear measurement from a car at stock ride height.

Well, since i'm going from stock to KW 1's first, then wheels a week or so after that, we can measure and see.. Where would be a good place to measure from as a baseline..?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Where would be a good place to measure from as a baseline..?
As ranger22 stated, "These measurements were from the ground to the lip of the fender at the center of the wheel arch." That's how I measured mine. Just make sure when you measure that your car is on a completely level surface like your garage floor.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As ranger22 stated, "These measurements were from the ground to the lip of the fender at the center of the wheel arch." That's how I measured mine. Just make sure when you measure that your car is on a completely level surface like your garage floor.
Right, and thanks.. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Tx...you always come through - Do you have any pics of the rear on the highest setting? How does the car ride? (i.e. is it still good or is that setting starting to get out of the optimal range for the coilovers?)

I went out and measured the car in the garage. It has 10k miles on it with Dunlops. Mearsurements from ground to apex of the fender lip arch

Fronts
PAX Side 27.5"
Driver Side 27 5/16"

Rears
Pax Side 26 7/8"
Driver Side 27"

I think 26 1/4" will work for me..I'm assuming that your plus one fitment on the wheel/tire combo are not that far off from the stock setup. Half the diameter differential would come into play on that measurement as well, I'm assuming it will be negligable though (maybe 1/4")

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tx's tire setup is almost spot on with the stock setup in diameter. I think the fronts are 0.02" larger than stock and the rears are the same diameter.

I don't know about the ride since he's adjusted it, but when he first had it done there was an improvement in ride when he raised them a bit. From my personal experience, the ride is better than stock in that it handles better, it goes over small road imperfections better and there is less road noise. Only when you hit a large bump does it jar the car more than the stock setup would.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just ordered mine too... v1's and probably installing myself...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Thanks Tx...you always come through - Do you have any pics of the rear on the highest setting? How does the car ride? (i.e. is it still good or is that setting starting to get out of the optimal range for the coilovers?)
I'll try to snap a couple of updated photos next weekend. Regarding the car's ride at that setting, it's still great. Given I only raised the rear a quarter of an inch, I haven't noticed any difference in ride from the previous setting.

I think 26 1/4" will work for me..I'm assuming that your plus one fitment on the wheel/tire combo are not that far off from the stock setup. Half the diameter differential would come into play on that measurement as well, I'm assuming it will be negligable though (maybe 1/4")
Looks like ranger22 already did a good job of commenting on this. I don't really have anything additional to add.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How many dealers are there that sell KW? I need to order.. (Besides WheelExperts...)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts