Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my sportback has an annoying knocking noise which appears to come from around the drivers door / seat area when I pull off from a standstill or break to standstill. It sounds like its coming from the door area and I suspected the lock, but with the door open, I get the same noise. It is a single or sometimes double tap / knock sound which happens just as the car moves off and you feel yourself being pushed into the seat. The other peculiar thing is that it only happens after a prolonged period of driving. Has anyone else any experience of this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, my sportback has an annoying knocking noise which appears to come from around the drivers door / seat area when I pull off from a standstill or break to standstill. It sounds like its coming from the door area and I suspected the lock, but with the door open, I get the same noise. It is a single or sometimes double tap / knock sound which happens just as the car moves off and you feel yourself being pushed into the seat. The other peculiar thing is that it only happens after a prolonged period of driving. Has anyone else any experience of this?
Did you ever find out what this was? My 2012 A5 Sports back is now doing the same thing. Like a 'Bump... Bump' under the floor when you accelerate, but it wont do it again until you apply the brakes, then accelerate again... bump.... bump.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Sounds like the center drive axel bearing bushing has gone out. Overtime the rubber hardens/cracks/loosens. When you accelerate/decelerate, the drive shaft is moving up and down because the rubber cushing no longer absorbs the directional change.

Many Porsche/Tourag/Q7 have this problem. There are aftermarket kits to fix this. There is also a heater hose+zip tie method. Search for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like the center drive axel bearing bushing has gone out. Overtime the rubber hardens/cracks/loosens. When you accelerate/decelerate, the drive shaft is moving up and down because the rubber cushing no longer absorbs the directional change.

Many Porsche/Tourag/Q7 have this problem. There are aftermarket kits to fix this. There is also a heater hose+zip tie method. Search for it.
I don’t think it’s this. It only happens ONCE when you accelerate from a hard stop, and does not do it again until another hard stop. It does not do it under de-acceleration or over run. Only when you first pull away, as if something moves to a new position and then is happy there

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Steve mate have you left something under the front seat, like the wife for instance???? They make alot of noise....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts