Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey brothers ------------------

As I wait for my S5 to arrive, I take one out for a test drive every now and then to get my fix (agreed - it's some kind of sickness). Today, the salesman that I was chatting with told me Audi recommends that you shouldn't tint your windows on an S5/A5 because it interferes with the Keyless Entry system. Are there any owners out there with tinted windows that have experienced such a problem? My guess is that is that it isn't as bad as they claim (my current car has keyless entry as well as tints and I'm living issue free), but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your feedback (in advance).

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
That sounds like total BS.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey brothers ------------------

As I wait for my S5 to arrive, I take one out for a test drive every now and then to get my fix (agreed - it's some kind of sickness). Today, the salesman that I was chatting with told me Audi recommends that you shouldn't tint your windows on an S5/A5 because it interferes with the Keyless Entry system. Are there any owners out there with tinted windows that have experienced such a problem? My guess is that is that it isn't as bad as they claim (my current car has keyless entry as well as tints and I'm living issue free), but I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for your feedback (in advance).
Hi Future S5'er,
I to had the same sickness while waiting for my baby to arrive :)
As to the interferance with the keyless entry, Yes this is total bullshit. The sensor for the proximity of the key is inside the car (in the rear view mirror i think but i'm sure i'll be corrected if wrong) but tinting a window is not a sufficient barrier for the radio wave that the keyless entry system uses. I am running 35% tints all round except for the front windscreen which is standard and there have been no problems at all. Audi Australia even originally suggested I get the windows tinted! Black car, dark windows then they even decided to throw it in for free as it looked so good.

Oh and how many manufacturers currently use a proximity key. Most of the higher end manufacturers already have it and i'm sure it will filter down to the regular guys soon enough, so why would the auto industry use a system if even the tiny thickness of tinting (approximately 1mm) could stuff it up?

·
Registered
198 Posts
20% all around, never had a problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
theoretically if you use the new metal-based tints you can interfere with reception, but that usually happens if the tint is directly touching the antenna, so your radio reception may be effected with the in glass antenna that is in the rear glass, but it shouldn't really interfere with your keyless entry.

·
Registered
491 Posts
20% no problems

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clearly this post is very late but I figured I would share it anyway...

I have a 2011 S5 Black with Titanium package so obviously I am going to tint the windows to complete the blacked out look. So I did it 35% with an awesome tint group in Philadelphia. I did it the morning after I picked up my ride. I noticed that the HD channels didnt come in so well. I often work in less populated areas and I noticed that my FM channels almost never come in. I don't experience this in my work truck. I finally called the dealer and asked if they had heard of this problem. They immediately asked if I have my windows tinted. So it may be the cause.

My solution: XM radio, and MP3's on the built in hard disk. The tint is worth not having perfect FM reception.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the tint you used has any kind of metal in it, it will interfere with your radio antenna, which is located in the rear glass. You needed to make sure that the tint guy doesn't use any kind of tint with metal in it. It has to be a dye based. Also, you need to make sure that they didn't razor the antenna when cutting the tint! Dealer Maybe right!

·
Registered
852 Posts
If the tint you used has any kind of metal in it, it will interfere with your radio antenna, which is located in the rear glass. You needed to make sure that the tint guy doesn't use any kind of tint with metal in it. It has to be a dye based. Also, you need to make sure that they didn't razor the antenna when cutting the tint! Dealer Maybe right!
My A5 is 20% all the way around, ceramic tint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have 20% all around with-out a problem!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
i have 50% tint in the front and 25% in the back.. i am worried about getting pulled over for tinting that dark... U guys have ever been pulled over for that reason?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Newer tints have ceramic in them...not metals. Ceramic is supposed to help a lot better with the heat and not interfere with radio, satellite, keyless entry, etc. I'm sure there are cheaper (older) tints out there with metals in them...I'd stay away from them.

I've got 35% tints all around with no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
My windows are black as pitch and everything works as it did when I didn't have tint- that's nonsense go ahead and tint the car will look amazing

·
Registered
812 Posts
ceramic tintz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts