Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I've had my 3lt TDI Tiptronic now for about 3 weeks, and I'm getting an increasingly frequent occurance of the key not being released from the dashboard slot when the ignition is switched off. I have to push it in and out several times before it releases, each time starting the car.

Anyone else had this issue?

Noel

·
Registered
68 Posts
Noel
Just leave the key in your pocket. There is no reason to keep it in the dash. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
i had the same problem with my A5 early on
what worked was to flip the key around
so instead of the buttons pointing to the passenger side
they would point to the driver side
after a few times it became easy to use either side
i think the plastic recipticle inside needs to be worn in a little
since then i can stick the key in either way and i no longer have this problem

·
Registered
225 Posts
mine doing exactly the same and its driving me equally as mad!! i sit there like a right wally, starting the car 3-4 times before I can get the key out!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my car for ten days and have experienced the same problem in the last few days. I had to leave a Tesco carpark without stopping the other evening as I couldn't get the key out - despite re-starting the car about ten times. Very embarassing.

But I then found when I got home that by pressing the key in very slowly and gently that it has released every time since. So I haven't reported it to the dealer yet, but will do so the first time it happens again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had my s5 for a week and same thing has happened to me...can be embarrassing as I try to get out of the car and ppl are watching me struggle with the key and turning the car on and off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flipping the key has not fixed the issue.

Now I am using the second key to see if that has the same problem.

I have booked the car in to Newbury Audi on Tuesday as this is doing my head in!:mad:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Haven't had any problems with mine either

I have the advanced key, and rarely put it in the slot, except to show people.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Same thing...

My key seems to get "stuck" too...

I'll press the key in to turn off the car, and the driver dash screen says "Please Remove Key", but it doesn't release...

Lately, I've given the car a few more seconds between pressing the key in to turn off and then removing and it seems to be working. Seems you can't just press in then quickly remove...

·
Registered
441 Posts
i had the same problem with my A5 early on
what worked was to flip the key around
so instead of the buttons pointing to the passenger side
they would point to the driver side
after a few times it became easy to use either side
i think the plastic recipticle inside needs to be worn in a little
since then i can stick the key in either way and i no longer have this problem
+1

And you don't have to turn the car on and off every time, to get the key out when it's stuck! There is three stages before pushing the key in before ignition start (not sure about tiptronic)!
1. Put the key in- car info display comes up!
2. Push the key one time (with-out pushing in the clutch)- MMI turns on!
3. Push the key in via clutch- we have take off!

toggle between 1 and 2 to get the key out, to save from embarrassment! And of course stop by at your local Audi dealer so they can fix that shit!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, using the second key seems to be fine, which indicates that it is something to do with the first key, although they look identical to the naked eye.

We'll see what the dealer says tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got back from Newbury Audi.

The upshot is that this is a known issue, but without a fix!

The Technical Bulletin says that the user must allow 200ms for the key to be released from the mechanism, if you try to pull it out quicker than that, then it gets locked in place.

Thanks Audi !

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have noticed the same problem and brought the car into my dealer today. Murphy Law struck. Try and try but I couldn't get the key to stick when the dealer was with me. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All,

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one!

I find that, if you have you foot on the brake when you try to release the key it works first time, perhaps its something to do with that.....

I only found out that the EPB (Park Brake) releases only when you have your seatbelt on!
I assume its something similar

R

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yet another odd question

Not sure why I seem to dig up all of the odd issues but here's another...

Anyone else that doesn't have the push button start/stop finding that their key sometimes gets stuck after turning the car off. It's kind of embarassing, the car just won't let it go and the only way to get it out is to start the car again and hope it works. I've pulled into parking lots (with all eyes on the car as usual) and had to restart it 3 times just to get the friggin key out!

Anyone aware of a manual overide that would let me get the key out without restarting it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.