Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else having problems with theirs standard keys?

Just at random times, the car will not respond at all. In town tonight I stood for about 10mins trying to figure out why the bloody thing wouldn't work. The red light was flashing on the key when I pressed the button, but the car didn't lock.

Tried starting the car, turning it off, and then locking it - nothing. Eventually gave in and locked it manually.

Although, once I got out of the city centre and out to the girlfriend's house, it worked again.

Strange. A phone call to Audi tomorrow me thinks.

... one wonders what frequency the keys are working on?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Were you near a building site?

a friend of mine had a BMW M6, it would never lock at his house because of some kind of interference from a building site. dont knw how or why

·
Registered
147 Posts
If the key operates at RF then it is possible that you were in a strong field. Similar problems have been described close to high power radar systems and even close to transmitters used for PMR or by radio amateurs. However, as this use is usually imtermittent one would not expect a prolonged problem. Anybody know what frequency is used - my guess if its not IR is low microwaves.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi Rab
I had a problem at home a while ago. I was not able to open the car with the key fob.
Again, I could see the red light flash as I pressed the button but it wouldn't open. I tried the spare key but this didn't work either.

In the end, I used the manual key to open the door and then everything burst back into life - I haven't had any problems since.

Hope that helps
Plob

P.S. I think they run at 433MHz in the UK. They probably also use Keeloq too (a Google search or Wikipedia will explain it much better than I could:))

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well if it is 433MHz then this is within the 70cm amateur band. It is also used for medical equipment monotoring, for example our data loggers on our vaccine freezers operate at this frequency. Exposure to extraneous RF probably confuses the coding systen; hence the need for a reset after manually using the hard key to enter the car. This is apparently an issue with many manufacturers key systems.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Rab
I had a problem at home a while ago. I was not able to open the car with the key fob.
Again, I could see the red light flash as I pressed the button but it wouldn't open. I tried the spare key but this didn't work either.

In the end, I used the manual key to open the door and then everything burst back into life - I haven't had any problems since.

Hope that helps
Plob

P.S. I think they run at 433MHz in the UK. They probably also use Keeloq too (a Google search or Wikipedia will explain it much better than I could:))
Yea, I seen that it's meant to be 433.92 MHz. Still, I don't expect there to be interference with a £42k car. Every other car i've owned has never had any problems. Even a £4k Renault Clio worked better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts