1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Just for completeness, it also fits all the V6 A5's as well.

I see there's apparently a 4.2L V8 A5 in the marketplace somewhere, presumably in the EU looking at the suffix in that table. Didn't know that. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hmm...doesn't look as good as the BMC one i.e. K&N looks more restrictive than BMC w/ it's capped center vs BMC's twin conical design / opened center. But I'm sure the performance difference is negligible.

No price listed, that may be the deciding factor for many since BMC weighs in at $260++.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hmm...doesn't look as good as the BMC one i.e. K&N looks more restrictive than BMC w/ it's capped center vs BMC's twin conical design / opened center. But I'm sure the performance difference is negligible.

No price listed, that may be the deciding factor for many since BMC weighs in at $260++.
This model is a replcement filter, and most K&N replacement filters (still go into the stock airbox) are about $40, even conical ones such as this. If they release a FIPK kit, which would completely replace the stock airbox, they usually go for about $125 and come with a CARB exemption decal.

-Ray

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I know there was a continuous problem with K&N filters being used in S3's/TT's etc due to the amount of oil in the filter. It would contaminate the MAFF and ruin it causing numerous running problems thus leading to an expensive replacement MAFF sensor.

Overall Green Panel filters have a very good reputation.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I know there was a continuous problem with K&N filters being used in S3's/TT's etc due to the amount of oil in the filter. It would contaminate the MAFF and ruin it causing numerous running problems thus leading to an expensive replacement MAFF sensor.
I'd heard that story previously too in the Infiniti world, is it just a rumor or is there a real-world example?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It can happen if you use more oil that is necessary after cleaning process.

It has never happened to me. I had K&N filter on my 3 cars in last 10 years.

Now I wait for E-1987...:D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
FYI... I belive the BMC is a 'dry' filter solution, but still cleanable and reusable and hence a preference with many tuners over the K&N.

Correct me if I'm wrong.;)

·
Registered
457 Posts
FYI... I belive the BMC is a 'dry' filter solution, but still cleanable and reusable and hence a preference with many tuners over the K&N.

Correct me if I'm wrong.;)
You are wrong. Requires cleansing and oiling like any other comparable filter e.g. k&n.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use BMC on all my cars from Gallardo to 997 and have had no complaints... its a must as the car breaths so much better with it.... And on my M5 the exhaust sound actually got a little more deeper after install....

·
Registered
160 Posts
You are right. My bad!

...My first BMC in the S5... well impressed.

Had K&N in the 2.7 Bi Turbo... liked it too.
wait a minute... BMC doesnt have any "drop in" direct oem replacement filters... only the round ones like K&N that suck in all the hot air from the engine... check out this link to BMC's filter... http://www.bmcairfilter.com/VisDetail.asp?ID=710

I just want to replace my square oem filter with a BMC filter... anyone know where I can get one???

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
wait a minute... BMC doesnt have any "drop in" direct oem replacement filters... only the round ones like K&N that suck in all the hot air from the engine... check out this link to BMC's filter... http://www.bmcairfilter.com/VisDetail.asp?ID=710

I just want to replace my square oem filter with a BMC filter... anyone know where I can get one???
Sorry Dude, the S5 has a cone filter inside the airbox as standard but it's card and singe cone. The BMC filter replaces this directly sitting inside the airbox, but is a double-cone (inside and out) and is gauze and fibre.

...Trust me, I have one fitted and have the original sitting in my garage!

Just buy a K&N or BMC and drop it straight in!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sorry Dude, the S5 has a cone filter inside the airbox as standard but it's card and singe cone. The BMC filter replaces this directly sitting inside the airbox, but is a double-cone (inside and out) and is gauze and fibre.

...Trust me, I have one fitted and have the original sitting in my garage!

Just buy a K&N or BMC and drop it straight in!
ordering now thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
anyone notice a difference in sound after install??
Deff, theres a quick sucking in sounds you might say rite before it gets to revving, installation took about 40 min (not the easiest, ive installed this on acuras before, audi was harder to get a perfect fit once air box was removed and refitted)....So far im pretty happy, cnt wait to take it on the highway but jersey just go its first snowfall!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Deff, theres a quick sucking in sounds you might say rite before it gets to revving, installation took about 40 min (not the easiest, ive installed this on acuras before, audi was harder to get a perfect fit once air box was removed and refitted)....So far im pretty happy, cnt wait to take it on the highway but jersey just go its first snowfall!
SFIZZLE do you have any pics?

·
Registered
184 Posts
SFIZZLE do you have any pics?

The filter connect rite to the airbox so once on and connected theres really nothing to take a picture of, i wanted to show you guys but already had it put back on once i realized i wanted a pic or 2, sorry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.