Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't believe it, had her her 3 weeks today and oil warning light come on stating to turn engine off immediatly and check oil. Phoned Audi up who told me to check the oil, however opened the bonnet, couldn't find the dipstick. Phoned Audi again, was then told under no circumstances start the engine as it could be the oil pressure. Also advised me to phone Audi assist and request a recovery. Guy turned up, plugged computer in and levels seemed ok but with no dipstick he couldn't be sure if it was an onboard computer error or genuinely low on oil. I find it hard to believe that if I can't check it manualy, what do I go on as the warning is telling me to switch the engine off and check. However to check the oil levels via the computer, the engine needs to be started to enable to configure the reading?? I have to say, Audi assist have reacted promptly and came within the hour and the recovery truck has just left. I think we have entertained the neighbours tonight as everyone who we didn't want to see the spectacle, bloody drove past! Think majority might have thought it had been repossesed due to the truck having side curtains on, spose it will keep there tongues wagging for a bit. Expecting courtesy car tomorrow.

·
Registered
415 Posts
But if your oil level is in the MMI, the engine doesn't have to be running. The ignition might have to be on, but that's not the same thing.

Maybe you understand the distinction, maybe you don't. But a surprising number of people don't know that you can turn the ignition on without the engine running. I think about this every time I drop off a rental car and the agent starts the engine to check the mileage.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have the MMI on my model as it is a 1.8 TFSI. I do have the AMI which only gives me the oil level. But when I went in to read the level, I put the key in the ignition and the computer was stating to start the engine to configure settings.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No matter what set of options and features you have on your car, there is ALWAYS a procedure for turning on the ignition without starting the engine. On manual transmissions, it's easy, because you just put in the key without pushing the clutch. In autos, i believe you just have to not step on the brake when pushing in the key. Whatever step is necessary for making the starter engage, just don't do that.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hmm...interesting. I didn't know that. But still, the OP's situation would have had his engine at operating temperature. I still insist he should have been able to check his oil level. Probably a wise move to have it towed away, and I really don't want to hijack this thread further with this line of discussion. Sorry, shelltell.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
...Yep yoyu can't check the oil pressure via the MMI until you've run the engine for abit.

I would have thought audi assist would have a dipstick. Seems a bit silly to have the dipstick riser, so the oil level can be checked at service, or in the case described, and then not to issue the dipstick to the guys who need them.

Personally, I'd liek to get hold of one, so that I have both options.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find the lack of dipstick moronic

Audi is not alone on this, of course. BMW has the same issue. I think it's a case of manufacturers believing the average consumer of their cars is too dumb to know how to check a dipstick anyway, so they exclude it.

In a function as critical as oil level, it's nice to have a tried and true, cheap, infallible method for verifying the oil level, and that's NOT an electronic sensor.

As a reasonably savvy buyer, I would prefer the option of checking a dipstick to the option of being stranded waiting for a flatbed truck, since most of the time it's going to be a sensor fault, not the oil level, which it sounds like is probably the case with your car.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Ive just had it confirmed by Audi, the car needs a new oil pump which is apparently down to some internal damage and it will take a couple of weeks. As you can imagine, i have had the car 3 weeks and I'm well fed up. I'm now running round in Peaguot 207 through Audi assist which don't get me wrong is a lovely little car but somehow doesn't feel the same. Because it hasn't gone in for a service and it's had to be recovered, I cannot have an Audi and have had to have a hire car from the hire company that Audi use for breakdowns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, Ive just had it confirmed by Audi, the car needs a new oil pump which is apparently down to some internal damage and it will take a couple of weeks. As you can imagine, i have had the car 3 weeks and I'm well fed up. I'm now running round in Peaguot 207 through Audi assist which don't get me wrong is a lovely little car but somehow doesn't feel the same. Because it hasn't gone in for a service and it's had to be recovered, I cannot have an Audi and have had to have a hire car from the hire company that Audi use for breakdowns.
So it sounds like you should have had a low oil pressure indication, not a low oil level alert, correct? In any case, sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
When I took delivery of my car the dealer proudly told me that there is no stick in the car "it's all electronic" and intoduced me to the computerized bling-bling oil level display. I simply asked him what would the display do if I accidently poured more oil to the engine (as you know thats one of the biggest mistakes to make) without even knowing it. Would the display show a warning or everything would seem to be ok until I discover oil springing from every cranny of the engine. He gave me a blank zombie like stare.
The bottom line is that technology sould be employed to simplify things, not the opposite.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The warning sign bleeped and came up with an oil can and said something like switch off the engine immediatly. Which I did, however when I put the key in the ignition to check the levels and pressed car settings, it told me to switch on the engine to configure settings?? The dealer advised me when I made the initial call that they do consume quite a bit of oil until the engine has worn in and to be careful how much I put in as too much oil could cause damage. My question is now how the hell are you supposed to be able to gauge on how much oil you need to put in when the oil levels read low? If I am correct, I'm sure the "old fashioned" way was that there was a minimum& maximum level line on all car dipsticks?

·
Registered
714 Posts
it told me to switch on the engine to configure settings
Having tried this yesterday, I suspect it told you to switch on the ignition not the engine. In my 1.8 I am able to check the oil level via the AIS (MMI for non sat nav) without having to start the engine. I also managed to do this with the engine not having being started for over 24 hours.

To turn on the ignition WITHOUT starting the engine, just press the key in without your foot on the clutch. Works fine for me.

Re the comment on over-filling, having a dipstick doesn't stop you doing this nor does it allow you to empty oil. It simply tells you that you've been a dipstick yourself (as will the cloud of black smoke and ruined cat when you try to drive off). I do conceded, however, that incremental filling is a lot easier with a dipstick as you can do it all from the front of the car. If my A5 was like my A3 (which swallowed a litre of oil every 6,000 miles or so) then I'd probably be missing a dipstick but right now I'm finding my oil level is still fine after nearly 4,000 miles so the electronic dipstick is fine by me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone,

New member.

I know this thread was added some time ago but I would like to report that I have just had the same problem with the failure of the oil pump on a 1.8t.

Same story, All the lights, Audi Assist, 10 working day lead time for the part from Germany, Peugeot 307....
I did however complain a little and they provided an A8L 4.2tdi Quattro, TV, SATNAV, Fully loaded with a full tank of diesel.

Not that I am gloating but I would like to hear from others who may have had an oil pump failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I know this thread was ages ago but I'm hoping the people who have posted are still about on here, or I'll try PM'ing. I had put a new post on the board about something similar and someone pointed me in the direction of this thread. If any of you are still active on the site can you have a look at what happened to me http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthread.php/a5-1-8tfsi-4369/index.html

If you could PM me with some mroe detail as I'd like to go back to Audi to get the fault fixed properly. I'm constantly worried that it's going to happen to me again when I'm full whack on the motorway!

Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.