Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of 2018 I was paid off by my former company and so I found myself out of a job, for the first time since I started work at 18 I was er at a loss to know what to do, quite a shock indeed cos I had not really seen it coming. Well long story short, I moved out of my rented flat in Roma and moved down to live with my lovely lady in downtown Amalfi. Near here, about halfway between Amalfi and Ravello, I had already got to know a wonderful tyre fitter when I had a flat on the A5 and I needed 2 new tyres, he ordered them and fitted them for me and then as he has no POS and I had no cash he sent me away to return with the cash the next day.
His father runs a bodyshop next door to the tyre shop and when I heard that his daughter would soon be having her first child, I asked him is he needed help and then I started work part time.

LOOK at the following pics to see what this guy can do, and he has been repairing cars for about 50 years. He has a massive oven, as well as a jig and a paint mixing system and we repair and paint almost one car every day, until the lockdown hit recently.

More pics here You just godda see what this man can do with a damaged car or van or whatever…….

·
Registered
324 Posts
I admire careers like this. I can do mechanical work all day but this field combines technical skill and artistic skill, something I simply don't have the patience or steady hand to pull off. Let's hope these unique times can expire soon so we can all go back to making a living for ourselves. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Reminds me of my days growing up in the Philippines. Lots of skilled and crafty car body techs out there that does the same thing. Over here in Canada, all the body shops do is to replace body panels. Car insurance covers it. Extensive labour to pound and form small sections of body panels are no longer necessary and feasible. The art of straigthening body panels is a lost and dying art form. Thanks for sharing, Simon! That was a nice write-up in both presentation and content. Pictures do speak a thousand words!

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks for yer comments and I agree 100 percent, these skills are quickly dying out and now we just replace parts. Shame.
I have seen this guy take a van with a massive rear three quarter smash up the ass. He took a marker pen and drew a line on the smashed van which I then photographed and sent the pics to his mate at a scrapyard.
The next day the sectioned piece of van arrived from the scrapyard. I could not believe what I was witnessing, I cannot think in three dimensions for sure!! Well in just a couple of ours our man chopped out a section of the smashed van, then trimmed, fitted and welded the "new" piece into position, cut and paste indeed!
He then cleaned up the joint and after we painted the van I COULD NOT FIND THE JOINT! And I knew where it was. I have since driven that van and these are zero funny noises or rattles or whatever, it drive just like it should. What a guy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts