Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
@wavy chips : What does your [MENU] > [MMI Setup] > [Version information] say ?

If you have HN+_US_AU3G_K0942_6, you're up-to-date. Otherwise, look HERE.

For NAR 2020/2021 3G Plus (HN+ firmware) navigation data, look HERE.

Lots of discussion on updating 3GP systems in the thread HERE. --g

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I bought my A5 I did the update for the MMI firmware and the maps. I only did both because it was a package deal. If a new firmware update comes out, I might do that, but I wouldn't bother with the maps. Honestly, by the time they are available, they are already "non-current" due to the data collection and packaging time. And if you are using your phone for googlemaps/waze/whichevernavappyouprefer... then why bother? Just some food for thought...

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
After 5+ years, it's not likely we'll see another software/firmware update for the 3G+.

And NAR navigation data availability lags behind EU significantly; who knows why? The latest NAR release (2020/2021) available for less-than-retail pricing was assembled in Nov 2019, and the latest NAR release listed in ETKA (8R0051884JH / 2021/2022) isn't even available through parts.audiusa.com yet. So, a more-or-less free nav data update that's 2+ years old is better than relying on data that might be almost 10 years old in a place that might not have (reliable) mobile data coverage (e.g., Canada for us). --g

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fair point, I had not considered the lack of mobile coverage for using google maps. But I also keep offline maps updated on my phone for areas I do or might travel to. I got in that habit when I lived in Colorado since there were plenty of places where you had no signal.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This is all good information, thank you. I’m out of town right now and will dig deeper when I get back home. I know most people today use apps for nav, but I prefer my car’s system. After 10 years I wouldn’t expect many updates of any kind but as these systems are now commonplace, manufacturers should support them longer. You’d think the nav companies would sell aftermarket updates on the cheap as a side revenue stream - would be easy enough to do. Does Audi use TomTom, Garmin, or someone else??

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
The MMI/nav system is made by Harman-Becker; the nav data is compiled by NavTaq, according to producer information embedded in the database files (more info HERE). The MMI 3G+ firmware hasn't been updated since 2016; the nav data, however, has been updated at least once a year for the NAR market. Actually getting access to the NAR nav data update in a timely manner has been been a challenge for us. For our friends in Europe, not so much... --g

21 - 27 of 27 Posts