Audi A5 Forum & Audi S5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . . . with just 2200 miles / sat for 7 years and driven sporadically. I'm excited to get it on the road. I'm going to have it checked out next week, but have 2 quick questions:

- What issues are common to this model / year - what should I look out for??

- Advice on a reputable independent Audi mechanic in the Cleveland, Ohio area - or what's the best way to find one??

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Wavy mate welcome on board the A5 nuthouse and you will surely fit right in hahaha. PLEASE tell us more about your car engine and transmission as well as spec. I would certainly change ALL fluids and filters and stuff so you know that she is good, I would also purchase a VCDS dongle and software so that you can understand loads of stuff for yourself. Tell us more and pics please!!! Simon

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sat for 7 years and only 2200 mls. Great find. Was it advertised or word of mouth that brought you to it? If it’s been sat like that I’d check all tyres and make sure they are not perished or have flat spots.

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
. . . . . with just 2200 miles / sat for 7 years and driven sporadically. I'm excited to get it on the road. I'm going to have it checked out next week, but have 2 quick questions:

- What issues are common to this model / year - what should I look out for??

- Advice on a reputable independent Audi mechanic in the Cleveland, Ohio area - or what's the best way to find one??

Thanks in advance!!
I second the suggestion about getting a Ross-Tech VCDS cable, a (very) useful tool.
Second, get yourself a proper engine oil dipstick; the B8 platform 2.0T engine doesn't come with one. The equivalent VAG tool is AU40178.

Re indy shops, depending on your location, both of these get good reviews:

Your options in the Cleveland area are certainly better than ours in Toledo.

Last note here: get a picture of your production code sticker, located in the spare tire well of the trunk. This will have the build codes for the engine, transmission, paint color, and interior trim, in addition to all build option codes.

And if the car has MMI/navigation, I can point you to a recent NAR data update (if it needs it). --g

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wavy mate welcome on board the A5 nuthouse and you will surely fit right in hahaha. PLEASE tell us more about your car engine and transmission as well as spec. I would certainly change ALL fluids and filters and stuff so you know that she is good, I would also purchase a VCDS dongle and software so that you can understand loads of stuff for yourself. Tell us more and pics please!!! Simon
Thanks for the welcome - definitely checking the basics. All fluids checked by the dealer (not an Audi dealer) - new tires (originals all had flat spots). Battery holds a charge but will be replaced. Car is a black on black 2.0 Quattro Premium Plus. Drivers seat doesn't have a single crease in the leather - yet. I did source an independent Audi mechanic - He works on Audi's only since 1982.

• What is the VCDS dongle?
  • Any warranty issues I should watch out for or know $$$$ trouble items??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I second the suggestion about getting a Ross-Tech VCDS cable, a (very) useful tool.
Second, get yourself a proper engine oil dipstick; the B8 platform 2.0T engine doesn't come with one. The equivalent VAG tool is AU40178.

Re indy shops, depending on your location, both of these get good reviews:

Your options in the Cleveland area are certainly better than ours in Toledo.

Last note here: get a picture of your production code sticker, located in the spare tire well of the trunk. This will have the build codes for the engine, transmission, paint color, and interior trim, in addition to all build option codes.

And if the car has MMI/navigation, I can point you to a recent NAR data update (if it needs it). --g
Thank you! I did source an independent mechanic to start with - Says I found a unicorn :)!
  • I posed this question to another poster - What is a VCDS cable and why do I need it?
  • I believe the car does have MMI - I know it has Nav. Please post the NAR data update location.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
Thank you! I did source an independent mechanic to start with - Says I found a unicorn :)!
  • I posed this question to another poster - What is a VCDS cable and why do I need it?
  • I believe the car does have MMI - I know it has Nav. Please post the NAR data update location
Look over here for info on VCDS: ross-tech.com
VCDS is the consumer/enthusiast version of VAG ODIS for diagnostics & module customizations. Depending on your level of interest in working on/maintaining your (new to you) A5, VCDS may be overkill (if working with your indy tech doesn't cost you diagnostic fees for every visit). We have 2 VAG cars, and our neighbors have 3, so owning a VCDS cable comes in handy here when we need to read/reset fault codes or update coding on certain modules (e.g., MMI).

For your MMI software/firmware, look here:
Yours should be 3G+ (HN+).

For the nav data update, look here: 8R0051884HG - NAR 6.22.1 2020/2021 3GP Navigation Data

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sat for 7 years and only 2200 mls. Great find. Was it advertised or word of mouth that brought you to it? If it’s been sat like that I’d check all tyres and make sure they are not perished or have flat spots.
I was in my local Honda dealership getting some service done and noticed it sitting in the corner next to 2 Hellcats they had for sale. I asked about it -boom- I own it. All new tires due to flat spots. Guy bought it for his wife - she got ill shortly after that, and the car sat. Afraid to ask what happened to his wife . . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look over here for info on VCDS: ross-tech.com
VCDS is the consumer/enthusiast version of VAG ODIS for diagnostics & module customizations. Depending on your level of interest in working on/maintaining your (new to you) A5, VCDS may be overkill (if working with your indy tech doesn't cost you diagnostic fees for every visit). We have 2 VAG cars, and our neighbors have 3, so owning a VCDS cable comes in handy here when we need to read/reset fault codes or update coding on certain modules (e.g., MMI).

For your MMI software/firmware, look here:
Yours should be 3G+ (HN+).

For the nav data update, look here: 8R0051884HG - NAR 6.22.1 2020/2021 3GP Navigation Data
This is great information, thanks! Question on the battery -
I can't find any required specs for a replacement battery. I looked on the Costco site and they list about 10 different "PR Codes" to choose from for the Interstate batteries they carry for the A5's. Any thoughts. Maybe it's listed in the battery box, but its not listed in the owners manual. (Haven't picked up the car yet) Also says that the dealership needs to "reset" something when a new battery is installed - never heard that before. I know radio codes get lost, etc.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was in my local Honda dealership getting some service done and noticed it sitting in the corner next to 2 Hellcats they had for sale. I asked about it -boom- I own it. All new tires due to flat spots. Guy bought it for his wife - she got ill shortly after that, and the car sat. Afraid to ask what happened to his wife . . . .
The right place right time. With as low miles as you’ve got you’re on to a winner….did you ask about the two Hellcats as well by any chance?

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
This is great information, thanks! Question on the battery -
I can't find any required specs for a replacement battery. I looked on the Costco site and they list about 10 different "PR Codes" to choose from for the Interstate batteries they carry for the A5's. Any thoughts. Maybe it's listed in the battery box, but its not listed in the owners manual. (Haven't picked up the car yet) Also says that the dealership needs to "reset" something when a new battery is installed - never heard that before. I know radio codes get lost, etc.
This will be one of the option/PR codes on the production sticker. Our '14 A4q is spec'ed for J0Z (110 Ah), which is the H9 battery spec. The largest Interstate our local Costco carries in store is H8 (at least the last time I checked).
This Audi platform has battery energy management through a sensor that is connected to the negative battery terminal in the trunk/boot. The idea here is the BEM module "knows" when a new battery is installed through an "adaptation" to the CAN Gateway module and can adjust alternator charging rates accordingly. This is where having VCDS (or similar VAG-aware diagnostic tool) comes in handy. For VCDS, this is described here: Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki

In the case of the B8/B8.5 platform, no "codes" get lost when the battery is removed (though a few fault codes are likely to get thrown, so having VCDS or similar to clear these is a good idea if you plan to do this yourself). --g

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This will be one of the option/PR codes on the production sticker. Our '13 A4q is spec'ed for J0Z (110 Ah), which is the H9 battery spec. The largest Interstate our local Costco carries in store is H8 (at least the last time I checked).
This Audi platform has battery energy management through a sensor that is connected to the negative battery terminal in the trunk/boot. The idea here is the BEM module "knows" when a new battery is installed through an "adaptation" to the CAN Gateway module and can adjust alternator charging rates accordingly. This is where having VCDS (or similar VAG-aware diagnostic tool) comes in handy. For VCDS, this is described here: Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki

In the case of the B8/B8.5 platform, no "codes" get lost when the battery is removed (though a few fault codes are likely to get thrown, so having VCDS or similar to clear these is a good idea if you plan to do this yourself). --g
I took a picture of the build sheet and I have the same J0Z code. Checked Costco and they do have a match for $217. It has 1000 CCA. That seems like overkill.

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
I took a picture of the build sheet and I have the same J0Z code. Checked Costco and they do have a match for $217. It has 1000 CCA. That seems like overkill.
List for the Interstate standard (flooded) H9 battery is $200. The H9 at the costco.interstatebattery.com site is the AGM H9 -- it's a good price for an H9 AGM (list is $240), you just don't need it your your '13 A5. --g

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
List for the Interstate standard (flooded) H9 battery is $200. The H9 at the costco.interstatebattery.com site is the AGM H9 -- it's a good price for an H9 AGM (list is $240), you just don't need it your your '13 A5. --g
Thanks for all information and feedback. Looks like I have a bit of a learning curve. Should fill up my winter! Can’t wait to just get it out on the road!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the family! I have a 2013 A5 cabriolet that is black with the brown interior. I'm pretty sure all us-based A5 cabriolets are 2.0T with automatic and all-wheel drive will be wrong.

I will definitely recommend getting a vcds cable. Having one means no need for diagnostic fees, and if you need it at midnight on a Saturday.. no problem!

I would also get the Mods4cars smartTOP module. Easy install and will let you open and close the top from your remote. SUPER handy.

I would consider upgrading the firmware of your MMI, but I use my phone and google maps or Waze. The factory Nav will never have traffic, and with the top down can be impossible to see. I have a phone holde that clamps in to the cd slot and allows me to angle the phone so I can always see the maps.

I love this car and you found a real gem. Don't skimp on maintenance and you will have an awesome car for many years.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the family! I have a 2013 A5 cabriolet that is black with the brown interior. I'm pretty sure all us-based A5 cabriolets are 2.0T with automatic and all-wheel drive will be wrong.

I will definitely recommend getting a vcds cable. Having one means no need for diagnostic fees, and if you need it at midnight on a Saturday.. no problem!

I would also get the Mods4cars smartTOP module. Easy install and will let you open and close the top from your remote. SUPER handy.

I would consider upgrading the firmware of your MMI, but I use my phone and google maps or Waze. The factory Nav will never have traffic, and with the top down can be impossible to see. I have a phone holde that clamps in to the cd slot and allows me to angle the phone so I can always see the maps.

I love this car and you found a real gem. Don't skimp on maintenance and you will have an awesome car for many years.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the welcome. Should be picking up the car on Monday and the first stop before home is an indy Audi mechanic for a once over. Probably going to get a new battery for sure. Thanks for the other suggestions as well. A cd slot phone holder is a new one on me as is the remote convertible operation. The rest is on the list. a lot to do over the winter. If I take it to Florida over the winter I’ll double the mileage on the car in one trip - ugggh!

·
Registered
2014 A4q 6MT MMI 3G+
118 Posts
For a phone mount, consider the Panavise 75102-109:

Gear shift Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

Attaches to the top right screw of the MMI. We have a Samsung wireless charging cradle fitted to it powered by a USB power supply connected to the left side fuse panel with an add-a-fuse on a switched circuit (not shown here, the charging cradle and power supply were added later). --g

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's a nice looking phone mount, but for me, puts it a bit further away than I'd like. I don't use the CD slot for anything (other than the phone mount), and with the phone mounted right in front of the shifter, it's very conveniently located.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Follow up question - went to a local Audi dealer, and they checked my MMI system and it is up to date, which is good, but, the maps need updating. It’s $1100 for an update disc through the dealer. There are discs on eBay for $10-$20 but they all say they are valid for Audi’s up through 2012. Nothing for 2013+ Audi’s - any suggestions???

1 - 20 of 27 Posts